New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering getting one and unsure about the quality. It's just going to be a plinking rifle anyways in 357 but I prefer not to buy junk. I really wanted the 24" octagon barrel version but it holds 12 evil rounds. Considering the 20" octagon barrel version they have as it only holds 10. Doesn't look like a bad rifle but don't want something cheap made if you know what I mean.

· Registered
474 Posts
My older brother has one of the 16". It's excellent after you refinish the stocks. Feeds smooth, even bluing, even wood, better than remlins in quality.

· Registered
9,724 Posts
I generally would tell anyone to stay away from anything Rossi. Many problems I've witnessed and heard about at LGS's. I see others here seem to have addressed some potential issues right from the get go so I can't say don't buy it ... I will watch this thread to see what other suggestions come up when purchasing a new Rossi as I'm curious myself. I have to admit though, some of them do run good.

· Registered
8,342 Posts
I have been wanting a 16 in tube .357 lever action for quite a long time. I think rossi is the only one making them. Looks like I will be getting a rossi!

· Registered
1,775 Posts
I have the Rio Grande in 30/30. Working the lever seems a little rough, but this was my first lever gun with nothing to compare it to. Also the spring keeping the bullet loading slot closed is very tight. I pinched my fingers several times. I expect both the spring stiffness and lever action to mellow with use. I've only been to the range a couple times with it so far.

Seems a good gun.

· Registered
193 Posts
I have a Ranch Hand in 45 and it's a lot fun and I don't regret buying it all. That being said the lower quality level as compared to other manufactures is pretty evident. It's a pretty rough action. The wood on it has a pretty crappy finish. I guess you get what you pay for.

· Registered
816 Posts
Keep in mind lever guns in general are very sensitive to cartridge oal for function ( every ones not just Rossi) mine ran like a champ on 357 ammo but would jam with 38's . You can find used Winchester and marlin levers for not much more than a used Rossi and IMO is a better choice

· Registered
45 Posts
My son bought me a 24" Rossi with case hardened receiver and oct. barrel a couple years ago. It has operated flawlessly in the apx. 200 rds thru it.my nephew and I had a 9" strip of drywall set out at 200yds. and he hit it 8 out of 10 shots off hand, I was able to take two deer with it last year. It's a keeper :)

· Registered
2,689 Posts
I had a 92 in .44Mag for a few weeks. Never shot it. The safety is this weird piece of tin that you have to rotate, its very loose and cheap feeling. The rest of the fit and finish was not spectacular either, but that was the part that really stood out to me.

I sold it on here, that guy sold it as well. I'm pretty sure at least 3-4 of us owned that gun without ever firing it.

I personally am on a quest for a .357 lever gun, and am currently set on the Marlin 1894CSS. The Henry is probably a better firearm, but its heavy and loads from the front. So the Marlin is the next best option until I find something I don't know.

· Registered
720 Posts
I have the model 1892 24" oct. barrel, case hardened in .357/38sp. It's made by Rossi but was spec'd out by EMF (better walnut stock and build) when Rossi did that sort of thing. The rifle is well made and works very smoothly. Look for the EMF or Navy Arms spec'd Rossi lever actions. You can find them used for much less than the uberti

· Registered
1,631 Posts
I have a Rossi 92 24' Octagon Stainless in .357 mag. and a Rossi 92 20" round barrel in .45 LC. Both are very nice and a lot fun. The fit and finish is a lot better than Marlin is now. I had one little ejector problem with the .357 but I took it back to Buffalo Gun Center and it was fixed with no questions. I have not had a problem since. Runs smooth as butter. There is a guy in Texas that works only with Rossi rifles and tunes them up for cowboy shooting. I have read some revies and he is supposed to be fantastic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.