New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I ordered 1100 rounds of 5.7.28 ammo for my FN Herstal 5.7 and they come 50 rounds per box so what would be the best way to carry them all or transport them? would a military metal case be best or should I go with something different..?

I want something I can lock and carry it to the shooting range,I also want it to be a good for storage of the ammo when not in use..

·
Registered
423 Posts
Why bring all that ammo to the range and carry all the extra weight?

My ammo all sits in my safe and when I go to the range I load up all my magazines and throw as many boxes as I think I'll go through in my shooting bag and head out. My shooting bag also holds a handful of useful tools should I need them or wish to make any adjustments on the fly, my shooting glasses, my ear plugs/muffs, an old cleaning mat to put on the bench to keep my stuff neat clean and unscratched up, a handful of targets/playing cards. All the necessities of a trip to happy land :)

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why bring all that ammo to the range and carry all the extra weight?

My ammo all sits in my safe and when I go to the range I load up all my magazines and throw as many boxes as I think I'll go through in my shooting bag and head out. My shooting bag also holds a handful of useful tools should I need them or wish to make any adjustments on the fly, my shooting glasses, my ear plugs/muffs, an old cleaning mat to put on the bench to keep my stuff neat clean and unscratched up, a handful of targets/playing cards. All the necessities of a trip to happy land :)
Well it not just for that as I need something to store it all in,as when I get the ammo it be in 50 round boxes mainly like something to store it vs bring it to range.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Ranger,

Midway actually makes awesome range bags, if you don't have one. This is the large, and this is the compact, they also have a "pro series" line. I personally have the compact bag. It's built VERY well. I usually don't take more than 1 or 2 guns to the range at time so it is enough room. However, if I did it again, I'd probably get the larger bag.

I agree with Yodamage for everything!

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Military ammo cans are perfect for ammo storage (that's what they are made for, right?) Keep a desiccant bag in it and it will keep it good for generations. Can pick up surplus ammo boxes at any gun show usually for under $20 including the desiccant bag. Ammunition box - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ok I hoping to be able to get to the gun show in Albany this January unless I can find some online for a decent price,The range bag is something I really need to get,I know they also make some decent 50 round ammo boxes like these I like to get 1 of each for each caliber I have they hold 50 rounds each and would be per fit to carry in a range bag to the shooting range,

Thank You all for your help.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I DO NOT recommend storing it in your wife's tupperware. They seem to be pretty sensitive about that. oops

·
Registered
2,177 Posts

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
30/50 cal ammo cans

/thread

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
Ranger,

Midway actually makes awesome range bags, if you don't have one. This is the large, and this is the compact, they also have a "pro series" line. I personally have the compact bag. It's built VERY well. I usually don't take more than 1 or 2 guns to the range at time so it is enough room. However, if I did it again, I'd probably get the larger bag.

I agree with Yodamage for everything!
the Midway large bag is HUGE! I have one and it just became cumbersome to take to the range. Better to edit what you carry and take a smaller bag.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
30/50 cal ammo cans

/thread
Agree that a surplus ammo can is the way to transport ammo. Cheap and tough. You can modify by drilling and bolting in an eye bolt and lock with a padlock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Agree that a surplus ammo can is the way to transport ammo. Cheap and tough. You can modify by drilling and bolting in an eye bolt and lock with a padlock.
Just picked up a 50 cal can and a lock that's is made for it at my arm navy store for $10 it's works perfect no need to drill

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finally got my range bag by MidWayUSA the other day just getting around to posting some pictures today,I also got some paper targets I also picked up..

The range bag is really nice has lots of room plus extra stuff that came with it,it has a spent ammo bag when you pick up your spent brass it has a sifter on the bottom so you can shake any dirt out when you pick up your spent casing from the ground..It has plenty of room for all your magazines,it also comes with a separate carrying case to carry what ever you in it,it also has 2 pistol pouches,there is also plenty of carrying capacity outside the bag it self also..

All in all this will be the best bag for all my needs.

I like to thank rhinehart and all the others who had recommended this bag..

Well here are some pictures of the range bag..

·
Registered
44 Posts
I finally got my range bag by MidWayUSA the other day just getting around to posting some pictures today,I also got some paper targets I also picked up..

The range bag is really nice has lots of room plus extra stuff that came with it,it has a spent ammo bag when you pick up your spent brass it has a sifter on the bottom so you can shake any dirt out when you pick up your spent casing from the ground..It has plenty of room for all your magazines,it also comes with a separate carrying case to carry what ever you in it,it also has 2 pistol pouches,there is also plenty of carrying capacity outside the bag it self also..

All in all this will be the best bag for all my needs.

I like to thank rhinehart and all the others who had recommended this bag..

Well here are some pictures of the range bag..

Sweet moccasins! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts