New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NY is one of the most unfree states in the union ranging from guns to taxes. The majority of anti-gun voters tend to live in the cities of NY and due to the large population determine the election regarding the governor and president.

Much of upstate NY tends to lean more pro-gun and conservative than the rest of the state while NYC tends to lean anti-gun or progressive with the exception of Richmond county in NYC.

My question for you guys is if NYC had split of from NY many years ago would NY be a free state like other free states surrounding it like VT or PA?

Compared to the other anti gun states such as CT and MA the bulk of upstate NY seems rather pro gun to remain free.

Also do you think laws such as the Sullivan act or original Assault weapons ban would have passed state legislator or would upstate counties alone elect enough of pro gun representatives which would keep NY free as a state like PA?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I cannot fathom the NY city thinking on gun control when there are so many shootings/rapes/muggings/etc. I submit the bad guys have a huge lobby to keep guns out of the law abiding citizen so as "the bad guys work place" is so much safer for them. The cops can't respond to all the crime so why do they refuse to stand up for themselves. It's like they're all mindless, programmed idiots.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You would need to shed the cities of Albany, Rochester, Buffalo, Newburgh, Poughkeepsie, all of Long Island to get the utopia you ask for.
I'm sure I left out a few bastions of liberalism.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
You would need to shed the cities of Albany, Rochester, Buffalo, Newburgh, Poughkeepsie, all of Long Island to get the utopia you ask for.
You might be surprised at how much of Long Island would vote to split off and regain their freedom from NYC's oppressively liberal and authoritarian structure

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I cannot fathom the NY city thinking on gun control when there are so many shootings/rapes/muggings/etc. I submit the bad guys have a huge lobby to keep guns out of the law abiding citizen so as "the bad guys work place" is so much safer for them. The cops can't respond to all the crime so why do they refuse to stand up for themselves. It's like they're all mindless, programmed idiots.
NYC's attitude is easy to understand. If you walk around the city and look at the people, it is easy to say to yourself, Oh my god, I would never want half these idiots to have a gun. Just the thought of it can be scary. Couple that with no place to practice and the larger percentage of their population never having owned a gun and it is a prefect recipe for anti-gunners.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You might be surprised at how much of Long Island would vote to split off and regain their freedom from NYC's oppressively liberal and authoritarian structure
Maybe Nassau would split, but Suffolk AKA: Queens east, would rather fall into the sound.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Also do you think laws such as the Sullivan act or original Assault weapons ban would have passed state legislator or would upstate counties alone elect enough of pro gun representatives which would keep NY free as a state like PA?
If NY was cut off below Sullivan-Ulster-Dutchess, it would look much more like PA than the current NY. Even the upstate liberal areas would be much smaller, since some of their policies are made possible by state support in a liberal assembly dominated by downstate interests.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'd take NA (New Amsterdam) laws over NY laws any day without knowing what they would be.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
WNY including Buffalo and Niagara Falls are not cuomo supporters...see last election results

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Give Manhattan and Trump back to the Indians.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'd take NA (New Amsterdam) laws over NY laws any day without knowing what they would be.
Wasn't New Amsterdam the old name for New York City? So, if there were a separation, you'd want the laws that state with NYC in it would adopt?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
VT gun laws are not that great...NH has some good guns laws.
VT is one of the most gun friendly states in the Union.

Although the state as a whole is liberal, the gun rights are very well protected there.

VT is the only state in the north that has constitutional carry which means you can carry a handgun concealed or open without a permit.

NH allows open carry but you need a permit to carry concealed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Even if those cities remained, it mainly NYC that is determining the gun laws. Those cities still are dwarfed by the many pro gun counties. I mean just look at the SAFE act resolutions, most of the state is against the SAFE act.

Just like in PA many of the cities are controlled by anti-gunners but the state as a whole is very pro gun.

So most counties elect pro gun state congressman and senators which in turn prevents anti gun laws from being passed in the state.

So sure we may have some anti gun cities but they are far outnumbered by the pro gun counties like in PA. However due to the huge scale population of NYC it seems to be the main reason why we have these anti gun laws.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
What Would NY Gun Laws Be Like Without NYC?

Musical instrument Arm String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Maybe Nassau would split, but Suffolk AKA: Queens east, would rather fall into the sound.
I think you've got it backwards. Nassau borders Queens, Suffolk is out east. there are people out there who have never been to NYC

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
NYC's attitude is easy to understand. If you walk around the city and look at the people, it is easy to say to yourself, Oh my god, I would never want half these idiots to have a gun. Just the thought of it can be scary. Couple that with no place to practice and the larger percentage of their population never having owned a gun and it is a prefect recipe for anti-gunners.
I think that you should issue them firearms . The Darwin theory would sure be in effect after some of the loonies got finished down there . It would make for safer city compared to what it is today I guarantee that !

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
VT is one of the most gun friendly state in the Union.

Although the state as a whole is liberal, the gun rights are very well protected there.

VT is the only state in the north that has constitutional carry which means you can carry a handgun concealed or open without a permit.

NH allows open carry but you need a permit to carry concealed.
It's all determined on how much you are involved with your politics . This was explained in another thread by Turbo . He just got back from vacation in VT .

1 - 20 of 44 Posts