New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently my mother finally got tired of having boxes of my stuff sitting in her attic, so I went through them the other day. I have dealt with most of it, but I am at a complete loss as to what I should do with all my old baseball/football cards. I don't want them, but I also don't want to throw them out, because I have no idea if they are worth anything. Is there anyone in the rochester area that buys/sells old cards.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
You have three choices .....

1.) sell them for next to nothing because there is absolutely no market for sports cards now. Hell throw them in the marketplace on here!

2.) keep them in hopes the market comes back and possibly your children could cash in

3.) take them to the nearest garbage can and file them away. Yes ... the market is THAT bad.

Don't go by "blue books" or anything that states the value of a given card. Those prices are STILL based on the 90's when the sports card market was still strong. Look on sites like Ebay and get real world pricing. My Sister has a TON of Micheal Jordan cards and a good amount are cards that were limited editions and ALL are in MINT condition and in plastic protectors ..... she paid more in the 90's for those cards in the pack that had the bubble gum in it then they are worth now. If it were me, I would sell them to whomever shows interest and take what you can get. I looked one up for her and if she had sold it in the 90's, she could have had over $500 ... now .... no interest at all. Not even The Vault in Saratoga wants them.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I have most of the Topps 1982 baseball set from when I was a kid. Value today? Next to nothing. I should have unloaded them when you could actually make money selling stuff on eBay before it became ridiculously popular - but the online auctions drove prices into the ground as supply exceeded demand. But they're not taking up much space - maybe down the road they'll be worth something?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Have lib politicians assist you in a fancy shootin' exhibition. They hold the card right a-front of their face, an' you shoots it...JUST KIDDING! Waste of potentially valuable cards.

·
Registered
774 Posts
People that say there is no market for sports cards don't know what they are talking about. Well I do agree if you have cards from the the last 70's through mid 90's there is no much value in them, there are a few money cards in those years but that is it. The market has changed you know have cards worth $1000's of dollars pulled straight from a pack, granted those pack prices are high at $600 plus. They are also coming out with a new pack of Basketball cards that retails for $1200.

Some examples of new cards with high price tags

SDX 2013 Topps Tier One Babe Ruth CS BR Cut Signature Autograph 1 1 Yankees | eBay

1998 Playoff Contenders Rookie Ticket Auto 87 Peyton Manning SP 200 RC RARE | eBay

2013 Topps Allen Ginter Yasiel Puig Mini Auto Frame Red Ink 10 Redemption SSP | eBay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts