New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after searching for a while, I found someone selling a former 6.5 Jap, that's been turned into a .257 Roberts. I've been wanting a Roberts for a long time. Anyway, here is what I am pondering. He wants $250 for the Rifle, but it needs a new barrel, according to him, it was a bad chamber job on the barrel.... I am wanting a nice rifle for less than $500, if possible and I know that a barrel for it alone is $150-250. Then I'd have to have a gun smith switch barrels.. another $100 there. What should I do? pass on it, or buy it, and just hope I run across a barrel for it in 257 Roberts some where.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I don't know nothing about the caliber you're talking about but you can certainly get a nice rifle, possibly new, for $500. Check out the for sale section or your LGS, Gander, Dicks, etc.... I think the Remington 700s are in the $500 range new and fairly equipped and customizable. Good luck.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know nothing about the caliber you're talking about but you can certainly get a nice rifle, possibly new, for $500. Check out the for sale section or your LGS, Gander, Dicks, etc.... I think the Remington 700s are in the $500 range new and fairly equipped and customizable. Good luck.
Wont find a new rifle in 257 Roberts for $500. They're all around $800-900, to even $10,000. Remington 700, in 257 Roberts books at $919. Then you have the M77 thats $900.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think I decided what to do. I most likely will just rebarrel a 22-250 I have that I dont really use. Will then be a single shot but that is a small price to pay I guess.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Why 257 Roberts? What advantage odes it have over other calibers? I do't feel like googling it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Curious about why on teh BOB as well. quarter bores are great rounds but there are several more readily available cartriges right now. They can be loaded as low and as high or higher. I assume you are handloading them. what is th edraw over say a 25-06 or a 25 WSM?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Grandfather had one, and was the first center fire rifle, I ever shot. Just want a rifle in that caliber mainly just for that reason lol. His was a Winchester model 70.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hope you find one then. ballistics don't make up for that kind of past

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
My Grandfather had one, and was the first center fire rifle, I ever shot. Just want a rifle in that caliber mainly just for that reason lol. His was a Winchester model 70.
Great reason!!! Good luck with your project.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts