New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what to get for the lady for home defense just getting her into the hobby. So she wants to be prepared incase of an intruder. .22 I don't think that will do and I think the 12ga is to much for her...handgun isn't and option for her... What way do you think i should go I was thinking maybe a .410 what do you guys think

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Mossberg 500 20 gauge.

G

·
No doubt, a Remington 20-gauge Youth Model is the proper choice.

Load it with 2-3/4" #3 Buckshot.
Take the little lady to the range once a month to create and sustain competance.
Taking a tactical shotgun course together wouldn't be a bad idea.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
.... a 16" tall dog should be your first line of defense - I read that somewhere :D
She got bit by a pit bull a few years back and now she is deathly afraid of any big dog don't think my daschund will to much that's why I want her to have something if it were me yes I would have the dog slowly but surely trying to get her used to big dogs

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Like others said the reliability of a pump is unquestionable.
But if you want to get a short reliable semiauto is also a good option. It takes a bit extra off the recoil.
Whatever you do it has to be used over and over again with the defensive loads to make sure both the gun and the shooter have no problems with
that load. I like the idea of a tactical course that also shows you how to take proper cover and many other things.
Never wait until the day you need to test the gun or that special defensive load. Same idea applies to defensive pistol and anything really.
Like an old wise samurai once said: we fight at the dojo and we play at the battlefield.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Id say 20 ga pump. You can get a Mossberg 500 on the cheap with a short barrel and a good recoil pad. Load it up with Buckshot and it will never fail to drop an intruder in their tracks with minimal wall penetration and a pretty light recoil. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Just another suggestion, if she's of a smaller stature, rather than a 500 or 870 with just a shortened stock on it, Mossberg makes a smaller 505, and a new model called the 510, which scales the whole gun down a bit.

·
Registered
353 Posts
So I don't want to take this too far from your OP but there are several things to consider besides stature of the firearm user.

Home-defense certainly starts to narrow it down, as does the smaller stature. But you also have to consider the environment being protected. Is it small, are their corridors for good line of fire, etc.? What is your defensive plan for the various situations that might arise (home-invasion, night, burglary, etc.)?

Well though out, rehearsed scenarios only complement your objective. Once thinking these through, you can start thinking about a firearm (or perhaps (firearms).

Shotguns are certainly a good consideration and naturally float to the top of people's list. They are easy to use, lethal in CQ with the right load and have a wide shot pattern. But they also can be cumbersome to quickly deploy, unwieldy and without an ability to own an SBR in NY, often impractical when trying to move through tight spaces. For example, can you envision being woken up at night, intruder in your house or worse, bedroom, and reaching for the shotgun?

Another consideration that is practical for many situations is a small caliber handgun (,22) such as the SIG Mosquito or various Ruger models. With the right high-velocity round, bullet grain, etc. they can be very lethal, easy to deploy, handy to access and very good in tight spaces.

Whatever, your solution the best money spent (IMHO) is on training. Both in basic use of firearms and intermediate classes applicable to the situation for which you are training. There are many fine people on this board and close to your AO that offer this.:D

Anyway, just my two cents worth. YMMV.

G

·
The best you can do with a handgun is to establish two points of contact; right hand & left hand.

With a shotgun you get four points of contact; right hand, left hand, shoulder & cheek.

More points of contact the better the control.

With a handgun you get a single penetrating wound per hit.

Buckshot offers multiple simultainious penetrating wounds. This is about as traumatic as it gets.

A handgun is difficult to master and requires a license in this state. Handguns bear a stigma in some jurisdictions.

Almost anybody may buy a shotgun and when it is held up before a jury a shotgun looks domestic and common to any household.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The problem with handguns is you need a lot of training with them to become effect at stopping a threat from within the house. I just don't know how accurate your wife is going to be when she is woken up startled by a noise in the middle of the night and finally realizes that it's coming from an intruder not a family member and the intruder is rushing up the stairs towards her. With adrenaline rushing, heart pumping, hands shaking a shotgun is more forgiving then a handgun.

Get a dog maybe 2

1 - 20 of 35 Posts