New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my parents took their Ford Exploder in for an inspection. Apparently it failed the insepction because both keys/fobs have to be inside the car to pass inspection. So now those guys said that we have to drive for an hour at 65 miles an hour to reset the computer to try again. What the ****?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
wth, I've had inspections of cars with only one key fob. Maybe it's a Ford thing. more likely it isn't and whoever did the inspection misspoke.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I remember when they told me to do that with my grand prix. Got my pickup truck couple months later. ;)

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
because both keys/fobs have to be inside the car to pass inspection.
BS!

I had my 2012 Explorer inspected with only my key fob. No problem. After all, the inspection entails checking emissions (which come out just fine when the car is running with only one key), checking the brakes/wipers/tires/etc...all of which can be done with only one key.

Why the heck would you need both keys to run the vehicle. That's nuts!

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
So my parents took their Ford Exploder in for an inspection. Apparently it failed the insepction because both keys/fobs have to be inside the car to pass inspection. So now those guys said that we have to drive for an hour at 65 miles an hour to reset the computer to try again. What the ****?
Something is very wrong there. There is absolutely no reason to need both fobs.

My guess is that they accidentally killed your battery somehow. Maybe left the ignition on too long or disconnected the battery. That will reset all your readiness monitors to NO and it'll need to be driven. But not for an hour at 65 MPH. It will need some highway driving though. Have them go about their normal business and head back in a few days. You should be fine.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
About driving to reset the computer........that's because the readiness monitors in the OBD 2 system weren't ready for the test. There are a few reasons for that like having had some work done that would affect the OBD 2 system, such as any work on the engine. Putting in a new battery could cause that. But as to how & why both key fobs could have caused that trouble is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Two Key Fobs inside the car, ahhh something is screwed up here. Now they need to be reset? Was this at a Dealership?

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Me thinks he was fibbing about the fobbing and something else is going there. Go someplace else.
Robin

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I got a box that clears all the info off the computer and resets it without driving anywheres . It's a cool piece to have when you need it .

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Do they also need the tail of a fruit bat, ear of newt and the wicked witch of the wests panties?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Cars have gotten so ****ing stupid. Shove the key in the car and start that ***** up. Why the hell would I want all this stupid tech fail crap in my car?

Car computers have gotten ridiculous as well.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I drive older cars, not by choice but necessity , I really don't know what FOB stands for and how it would affect an inspection.
You, Sir, and I are on the cutting edge of retro ..
there's no car I don't drive 12 - 14 years

current Mercedes is a 1991...
and looks and drives like a new car @ 360k

or
what a new car should be
last of the west german ones ...can't replace this one

1 - 20 of 39 Posts