New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in erie county and am trying to get my pistol permit. I just moved here a few years ago from Genesee county. The application says I need 4 refrences from other residents of the town that I reside.

I don't know ANYONE in this town, let alone this COUNTY.

Is my 2nd ammendment right null and void because I'm not a socialite?

Are there any Alden residents that want to get to know me enough to vouch for me?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome.

I'm sure its too late to call now. 2:30 AM. Ill give you a ring this afternoon. Is there a good or bad time to call?

·
Registered
164 Posts
yeah my wife is going through the same thing now. shes from MA. and we just moved from the falls to lewiston, she only has like 2 or 3 friends and 2 are in erie county and 1 in the falls. its a tough situation. good luck man, dont give up !!!! what about co workers or neighbors?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Contact the PD for the township you live in and explain your situation. I was in the same scenario, contacted the PD and they asked me to put it in writing and submit (mail) to the detective in charge. A few days later, I received a letter from the detective indicating that using references outside the township would be acceptable. This letter was submitted with my application.

·
Registered
387 Posts
When I first thought about getting my permit, I was new to the county I was living in as well. The clerk wanted 4 references that knew me well (from anywhere), plus 4 from the county itself even if I only knew them a short time. Here in St. Lawrence, the clerk didn't care if they were residents of the county or not.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I moved back to New York from North Carolina after I got out of the service. I moved to a different county from the one I grew up in, so I wrote to the judge here (in my new county) and asked him for permission to use New York references from the New York county I grew up in. His clerk called me three days later and told me the Judge was looking forward to hearing from my references. Got my permit (unrestricted) in less that 3 months. PM me if you want me to copy/paste my letter that I wrote. Good luck! Oh and Jim is GOOD PEOPLE and will do everything he can to help you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts