New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seriously, what the **** is this stuff. (picture below)

This happened on my BSA Scope. It also happened on my Bushnell Range Finder Binoculars and my Tasco standard Binocs.

Its as if the paint just becomes gummy and extremely sticky and starts to peel off. It took me about 10-15 minutes of hand washing to get it off of my hands.

You can see it all over my hands.....that is just coming right off of the scope.

All I can guess is that it is some cheap paint the Chinese decided to choose to coat their optics, binocs, etc. in. The first few years of these products, the paint was fine, but after 3-4 years the paint just starts to come right off.

Whereas I might expect something like this to happen from a company as low as BSA, I did not expect it to happen to my rather expensive Range Finder by Bushnell.

Anyone else have this problem?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,955 Posts
Did you spill or spray solvent on the scope? Looks like an issue with the cleaning agent you are using. I have observed similar issues but only when a solvent or thinner of some sort comes in contact with paint or finish. It happened to me when a can of Break-Free powder blast discharged inside my range bag - it wrecked both pairs of my ear protection (ruined/gummed up the paint on the head band as well as the plastic ear covers). When you're cleaning your firearm, be especially careful not to allow solvent to come in contact with any plastics or accessories that are mounted (solvents can easily ruin a sling).
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,426 Posts
I'm gonna second that cleaning solvent possibility, try rubbing these bastards down with some rubbing alcohol and see if that helps.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, it was NOT from gun solvents.

The air rifle that this was on was never cleaned with gun solvents, because it is an air rifle.

The Binoculars and Range Finder were also not cleaned with any solvents, because they also do not require to be cleaned with gun powder solvents....naturally. I never even wiped them off with anything. The only thing I used to clean both was the included lens cloth to clean the glass.

I thought you guys might say Gun solvents are the problem, as they seem the most obvious culprit, but I am telling you they are NOT the problem in this case.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts
What did the respective manufactures say?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,426 Posts
No, it was NOT from gun solvents.

The air rifle that this was on was never cleaned with gun solvents, because it is an air rifle.

The Binoculars and Range Finder were also not cleaned with any solvents, because they also do not require to be cleaned with gun powder solvents....naturally. I never even wiped them off with anything. The only thing I used to clean both was the included lens cloth to clean the glass.

I thought you guys might say Gun solvents are the problem, as they seem the most obvious culprit, but I am telling you they are NOT the problem in this case.
Ok well that rules that out then, didn't realize they were on an air rifle, I know I sometimes get some gooey gun solvents all over my scopes and such. Did you try the Alcohol rub down? Could be cheap material breaking down and getting gooey. Make sure pets don't get any of that stuff on them who the heck knows what it could be, probably get you sick at least if ingested. Were they in a warm place recently? Car glove box or something, I know some plastics and rubbers are "tempered" I'll call it, kinda like metal, once you heat them up enough again they lose the "temper" and get all oozy on you.

In the very last case scenario, if none of those explain it, I have no idea what to tell you, BUT, perhaps putting them in the freezer could harden it back up and stop the oozing?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,724 Posts
WTF is that?? No solvents ... a quick wipe with an oil at all? Man ... I can't think of anything that would do that other than a chemical. Where were they stored? Possible contamination from a gun case? Another case? That sucks!!
 

· Postmaster General
Joined
·
23,190 Posts
Were they stored in a hot/humid place like an attic? I've had old electronics with that "rubberized" coating break down after being stored like that.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
Looks just like mine. These have never been cleaned with anything, always stored inside in a carry case. Never stored anywhere near any solvents or cleaning products of any kind. The stickiness just started a few years ago, and it rubs off on hands just like in your photos.
Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Wood Lens
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BSA scope.... store in my downstairs safe. Golden Rod heat stick and dehumidifier running 24/7.

Range Finder stored in my upstairs safe. Golden Rod heat stick inside safe.

Tasco Binoculars. Stored in upstairs closet. Humidity is normal in there.

All three things stored in different areas. All different Manufactures. All three, the same problem. Also, note that the problem did not occur in all at the same time. Rather, about 2-3 years of ownership of the said items, the problem started to develop.

In all honestly, I do believe its the type of paint , or at least that "gummy" cushion like paint they initially put on it to make it feel good on your hands.

I'll try rubbing down the Range Finder with some rubbing alcohol now. I threw the BSA and Tasco products away.... they aren't worth cleaning anyways.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems like alcohol helps a bit. The area that I really worked on hard with it seemed to remove it almost completely, leaving a smooth layer behind (still slightly stick, but a big improvement.... so thank you for the suggestion Dystrukto)

The stuff that came off was like a paper thin layer of a very stick substance with the consistency of something like dried rubber cement. Must have been that "gummy" texture they added to the product initially to make it feel good in the hands.... the only problem is that it comes back to bite you in the @SS after owning the product for a few years.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,426 Posts
Seems like alcohol helps a bit. The area that I really worked on hard with it seemed to remove it almost completely, leaving a smooth layer behind (still slightly stick, but a big improvement.... so thank you for the suggestion Dystrukto)

The stuff that came off was like a paper thin layer of a very stick substance with the consistency of something like dried rubber cement. Must have been that "gummy" texture they added to the product initially to make it feel good in the hands.... the only problem is that it comes back to bite you in the @SS after owning the product for a few years.
Hey maybe you should just take a few minutes to rub down the other stuff, its always good to have cheap backups, and if all it costs is a few cotton balls and 10 minutes of elbow grease I wouldn't throw away anything.

Glad I could help, when you get weird oozy stuff on anything rubbing alcohol can help like 99% of the time I've found.
 

· Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
Joined
·
2,326 Posts
Deet & some other bug sprays can damage plastics and liquify paint and clear coat finishes. First hand
knowledge here, be careful when using deet while hunting.
 

· Formerly SRV1
Joined
·
4,726 Posts
BSA scope.... store in my downstairs safe. Golden Rod heat stick and dehumidifier running 24/7.

Range Finder stored in my upstairs safe. Golden Rod heat stick inside safe.

Tasco Binoculars. Stored in upstairs closet. Humidity is normal in there.

All three things stored in different areas. All different Manufactures. All three, the same problem. Also, note that the problem did not occur in all at the same time. Rather, about 2-3 years of ownership of the said items, the problem started to develop.

In all honestly, I do believe its the type of paint , or at least that "gummy" cushion like paint they initially put on it to make it feel good on your hands.

I'll try rubbing down the Range Finder with some rubbing alcohol now. I threw the BSA and Tasco products away.... they aren't worth cleaning anyways.
Do you have any kids? Maybe they did something to it as a joke. If no kids then you must have had something on your hands. The problem is in your house. Three different companies and all of them have the same problem? If you never cleaned them with anything then it has to be from your hands or something was airborne around them.

James
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top