New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gun: 700 S/A BDL, SPS Tactical (Varmint/Heavy barrel)

I am pretty much sick of the factory Hogue stock. It just feels too rubbery to me, and I have the same stock (pretty much) on my 10/22. I'd like to get something that has a more vertical grip, and detachable box mags would be excellent.

So there's a few stocks that have caught my eye.

McMillan A5 w/ adjustable comb and LOP.
Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist, with adjustable comb and LOP as well. Cheapest of the bunch, and given that, it makes me wonder where exactly they cut costs as compared to the McMillan that looks very similar with the same features.

Both of those do not come with DBM kits, but will accept most aftermarket bottom metal kits for DBM.

Accuracy International AICS. Comes w/ DBM, adjustable LOP and comb.

Anyone here use any or all of these stocks and can comment on them? I've never held any of them, so unfortunately unless one of you gentleman closer to the Albany, NY area and will let me hold the stock with or without action and what not in place, I'll be buying without touching. I don't enjoy doing that, but have done it with several cars.

Any input?

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I have an AICS 2.0. I've used it for about 2 years I think. I love it. It's made excellent, is comfortable for me and eliminates having to buy a separate bottom metal and you don't have to bed the action. Other people have tried it out and said they did not like the thumbhole style grip so try one if you can before buying. I don't like the cheek weld on it. I put a stock pack on with padding to fix that.

There are other skins for that chassis that have a pistol grip instead of a thumb hole. Never seen them in person so I have no idea how they're made.

I took a few shots with a McMillan A5 without the adjustable stock. I didn't use it enough to form any real opinion. It was comfortable and made well though.

Get ready for expensive mags. A 10 round mag is like $90.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I have the mcmillan A4 and it is rigid and well balanced. I personally like the forearm to be parallel to the barrel, it seems to sit better but that might be my personal impression. I am pretty sure all the others are good too.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have an HS Precision PST093 stock (typical M24 style stock w/ adjustable butt and cheek) and I love it. Depending on your barrel length, there are multiple varieties of this stock. I currently have a 700 SPS tactical AAC-SD w/ 20" bull in it and it is a beautiful thing. Absolute drop in with no modifications. Down side: they are hard to acquire unless stocky's has them in stock.

I'm very sexually attracted to the McMillan A5 stock, as well as pretty much anything AICS; but, unfortunately do not have experience with them as of yet.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See I've heard lots of great things about B&C, and then I've heard some bad things when specifically compared to a McMillan. People claim there is noticeable flex and what not and that their quality has suffered the last few years. This is a bit discouraging. I didn't even think it'd be that possible with the full aluminum bedding the stock has.

I kinda wanna treat this as a "buy once, cry once" situation, but the price difference is huge. B&C comes with a limited lifetime warranty which is great, as does the McMillan (haven't looked at the AICS, as it's my last choice really).

I wish I could find someone locally that has either of the two to compare. I held a 10/22 that had a similar designed stock as the McMillan and B&C, and it felt extremely good in my hands and from a standing, off hand aiming standpoint.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Cossey,
A minimum of flex is not a bad thing. It lets you 'feel' the rifle but that is my opinion. I know when something is so tight and stiff the harmonics go all over and sometimes small variations on the loads cause accuracy nodes to move quickly. so like in race cars and race motorcycles chasis must be very strong but little flex is a good thing.
There is no reason to believe that with any of the above stocks that are all high quality your hardware is going to shoot either any better or any worse. The B&C tactical is fine. At some point it comes to a simple question of what specific features you want and also the exclusiveness of the piece and of course the price.
Anyway do you think that this is the only 700 that you are going to have? I do not think so! ... lol.

·
Registered
403 Posts
See I've heard lots of great things about B&C, and then I've heard some bad things when specifically compared to a McMillan. People claim there is noticeable flex and what not and that their quality has suffered the last few years. This is a bit discouraging. I didn't even think it'd be that possible with the full aluminum bedding the stock has.

I kinda wanna treat this as a "buy once, cry once" situation, but the price difference is huge. B&C comes with a limited lifetime warranty which is great, as does the McMillan (haven't looked at the AICS, as it's my last choice really).

I wish I could find someone locally that has either of the two to compare. I held a 10/22 that had a similar designed stock as the McMillan and B&C, and it felt extremely good in my hands and from a standing, off hand aiming standpoint.
I have the savage mark II TR and the stock is a mcmillian replica. i was dead set on getting a mcmillian for my .308 build but after finding out how much the bedding would be plus the price for a mcmillian A-5. i was spending the same as a aluminium chassis . needless to stay i went will the aluminium which as way for adjustable features and it folds.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My HS Precision is great, ergonomic may be similar to the Hogue with much less rubber. McMillan's material is supposed to be stable over a wide temperature range.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just bought a used, never bedded AICS 1.5! Got it for $750, in like new condition although the owner hand sanded some piece to make room for a Timney safety. I didn't notice it in the pics, plus I believe the skin will cover it. Otherwise, he took it to the range three times, and it looks minty.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I put the B&C Medalist 5 on my 700 XCR 308. The B&C Style3 that came with my XCR was but on my 700 SPS Varmint 223.
Love them !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts