New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's no doubt the pressure is mounting. To my surprise, my local news ran a quick story this morning saying that "x" amount of counties in NY are calling for the repeal or modification of the SAFE act. There will no doubt be thousands at the rally next week. Thousands of calls have been made and emails sent protesting this blatant violation of our 2A rights.

What really can we hope will come of all of this? I don't believe for a second that Cuomo will come to see the error of his ways and repeal it in part or in full. Are we really just hoping our legislators see how angry we are and they put pressure on him?

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
How about his head on a plate? Seriously though it's not about Cuomo, he's a lost cause. It's about getting everyone else in the legislature to repeal this law. And if he won't sign that bill, then God help him.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Well I think we got what we needed from him already. He won't be president, ever. And hopefully someday won't be governor in NY :) lol

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Showing him as a the poor leader he is, and the ego of a Dictator. It took Obama to his 2nd term to really show his true self, mean while he layed the foundation for his agenda.Luckly Cumo's only chance is Mayor of NYC at this point, at the most, but the Super storm sandy will hurt him because he was to busy with Guns.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
It's been said before but deserves to be repeated. We need to have a huge vocal showing at Albany on the 28th. I'm sure the main stream media will downplay it but having the numbers there will (hopefully) show our elected officials that we will not tolerate this blatant disregard for our constitutional rights. Cuomo is a lost cause, but hopefully we can put the fear of God into our other elected officials.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Goals and Concerns

Excellent question that I too have been considering. As a former lobbyist, with 35 years in and around State Policy, here's what I think MIGHT happen if we present a PRUDENT and REASONABLE case.

I think the 7-round mag provision should be repealed along with the LEO amendment, returning us to 10, based on nothing but the sheer numbers of valuable vintage pistols that are almost NEVER involved in criminal activity and its fundamentally arbitrary and capricious setting. I have told my liberal Senator, face-to-face, that I consider it a "taking" (of financial value) by the State and want it repealed, based on that alone. Absent repeal, I think it is actionable in court. This repeal, if tacked on to the LEO amendment could fly under the radar as a technical amendment.

And then, ask Cuomo if he'd sustain a law demanding that he run his Corvette minus two spark plugs.

I think we should AFFIRMATIVELY ADVOCATE higher and more specific MENTAL HEALTH reporting. As written there is so much wiggle room in there for social workers-turned mental health "experts" to professionally decide AGAINST reporting, that I frankly envy the laxity and wish our provisions were as nebulous. Remember, these "care givers" are generally not on our side, and have HIPPA and other "patient confidentiality" rights to hide behind.

I think the registration of "assault weapons" and rules pertaining to them are a hopeless cause and we should not spin our wheels on them, OR at least urge that the proposed FEDERAL rules take precedent. Politically, in light of Newtown and Rochester First Responder incident, I think we'd be counterproductive to our other concerns if we went after this provision.

I don't see any other provisions worth fighting for given the sheer political will that was exercised here. I wish I could say we could count on a Republican block (formerly a majority), but it looks shaky at best.

Finally, I'll BEG that we knock off the Nazi and dictator talk; it makes us look stupid and irresponsible.

I'd like to see some SERIOUS discussion too...

·
Registered
982 Posts
I hope to see him cry and apologize for being an a$$hole. Nothing less. Suicide would be a nice touch.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Excellent question that I too have been considering. As a former lobbyist, with 35 years in and around State Policy, here's what I think MIGHT happen if we present a PRUDENT and REASONABLE case.

I think the 7-round mag provision should be repealed along with the LEO amendment, returning us to 10, based on nothing but the sheer numbers of valuable vintage pistols that are almost NEVER involved in criminal activity and its fundamentally arbitrary and capricious setting. I have told my liberal Senator, face-to-face, that I consider it a "taking" (of financial value) by the State and want it repealed, based on that alone. Absent repeal, I think it is actionable in court. This repeal, if tacked on to the LEO amendment could fly under the radar as a technical amendment.

And then, ask Cuomo if he'd sustain a law demanding that he run his Corvette minus two spark plugs.

I think we should AFFIRMATIVELY ADVOCATE higher and more specific MENTAL HEALTH reporting. As written there is so much wiggle room in there for social workers-turned mental health "experts" to professionally decide AGAINST reporting, that I frankly envy the laxity and wish our provisions were as nebulous. Remember, these "care givers" are generally not on our side, and have HIPPA and other "patient confidentiality" rights to hide behind.

I think the registration of "assault weapons" and rules pertaining to them are a hopeless cause and we should not spin our wheels on them, OR at least urge that the proposed FEDERAL rules take precedent. Politically, in light of Newtown and Rochester First Responder incident, I think we'd be counterproductive to our other concerns if we went after this provision.

I don't see any other provisions worth fighting for given the sheer political will that was exercised here. I wish I could say we could count on a Republican block (formerly a majority), but it looks shaky at best.

Finally, I'll BEG that we knock off the Nazi and dictator talk; it makes us look stupid and irresponsible.

Speak for yourself bud, no one else on here is giving up fighting registration. It is the worst part of the law. It must go period. And the ban on grandfathered Pre ban magazines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This whole Bill needs to be fought! Not just bits and pieces. There should be NO COMPROMISE we have done this for years and look what it got us!

·
Registered
410 Posts
We should hope to see the NY SAFE Act thrown out as well as the old assault weapon law. We definitely need to demand an explanation of how merely adding a pistol grip or an adjustable buttstock transform an ordinary semiautomatic rifle into something completely different. And it can't be because it's what the state police said.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Right now, the biggest issue with it is the confiscation part. And yes, though people aren't focused on it enough, it is already in there.

Bans ANY legal transfer of them upon owners demise (yes it says out of state...but again state law must be assumed in a bubble as other states or Fed mirroring this provision = automatic confiscation upon death). Also, as time frame is not stipulated, when an older person is ruled mentally incompetent or passes unexpectedly do the storm troops show next day to grab?

Second to me is the 7 round abomination

Third is the mess of the Ammo checks and restrictions

At the expectation of getting flamed, I'm actually for the NICS checks on all transfers so that might be the only provision I'd support staying

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Speak for yourself bud, no one else on here is giving up fighting registration. It is the worst part of the law. It must go period. And the ban on grandfathered Pre ban magazines.
I agree, whole Bill must go, completely un constitutional... not bits and pieces here and there. I dont like Political operatives throwing around ideas to see what "the gun lobby" us Americans will accept either.

What we hope to achieve? End the gun grabbers political careers, get this entire bill thrown out. Enough already. Our Constitution was not written to be a floor mat to step on because some lacky thinks they can interpret it the way they want. THERE is nothing to interpret, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. Look it up, its part of our state constitution which is stronger language then the 2A.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

I see alot of people saying dress this way when going to the rally, others want to tell them how to speak. If i person saying a fact makes us look stupid, Freedom of speech. Short story for ya, I was talking to a guy his family and him don't attend chuch because they have no dress clothes, but want to be there? what a message there.Think about it. sound like someone you know.
NO COMPROMISE come as you are.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
How do you advise NOT fighting the AWB? Lost cause? That entire ban is based solely on aesthetics. It is the pinnacle of useless and unjust law. Even the old AWB seemed more sensible by comparison. Registration? Uhm no. 7 rounds? Ridiculous "scouts honor" law. The whole thing should be tossed and the idea that you would lay down and concede on any of it is why were in this mess.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
The pressure is to raise awareness of the corruption in the broken system, and to educate more people to fight these acts of tyranny (legally).

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The best we can hope for is getting rid of the whole thing, but i don't see that happening. Also we need to end his political career in 2014. This we are going to need help on two fronts. One we need the republican party to put up a a worthy opponent second we need to get all pro-gun voters not to vote against him.

As far as all the Nazi and dictator talk, who cares! They left called Bush every name in the book, they are calling us all kinds of names. We have tried to use above this for years, we have tried to step lightly as not to bring any attention to ourselves, IT'S HASN'T WORKED! We all need to take a page from Ted Nuggent, speak openly honestly and to the point and when they say something that's not true correct them right then and there. Look them right in the eye and say your wrong, no PC and no sugar coating!

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
Consessions dont work , Appeasement doesnt work. Confiscation was included in the first draft of the law. They have openly stated that the goal is to take away our guns , They cant make it any more clear than that.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
First you never know what can be achieved, as a pre-teen myself and my neighbors fought dickhead Cuomo's father who wanted to dump "low-level" radioactive waste in small rural towns (i.e., poor areas, that have little say) back in the late 1980s. It ended up being New York vs. US and rural NY won in the US Supreme Court, look what Heller ended up contributing in the Heller case.

In life you have to roll the dice, all this effort may lead to no repeal, but for me it is like what Sitting Bull once said, "I'd rather die on my feet than die on my knees."

·
Registered
71 Posts
To the NICS check support.
I've spent many hours at gun clubs, involved and participate in many many shooting activity's. It is not uncommon for people to purchase, TRADE firearms, parts and ammo .......And so on. Some might say these guys are a bunch of ( Fudds for the most part) "LOL" but boy can these Boys shoot.
Now to the point of a nics check. If I am trading one gun for another what point is a nics check? If I purchased a firearm and went through a nics check and passed, till me the purpose of doing a nics check for every purchase. My point is if I passed all, lets say 100 nics checks in two yrs
Whats the point? TO keep me from committing a crime with a firearm.LOL
To me the nics check is a joke, a fuzzy feel good thing for people who be-leaves that criminals will be stopped because they took a nics check.
I do respect others opinions.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts