New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to pick up a 12 GA semi-automatic shotgun. Based in NYC so limited to 5+1. Can't have pistol grip or collapsible stock. Want it for self defense but it is also important that it be fun at range and may be able to be used for things like clays etc, but not a dedicated sport gun. Don't really do any hunting. Would like something that will take a wide range of ammo and decent recoil mitigation.

Looking at:

Benelli M4
1301 tactical
1301 comp pro
Benelli M2
A400 Extreme

I heard the m2 runs cleaner than the others. Which ones have least amount of recoil. I know the m4 is likely the heaviest. I don't think I would be adding an optic. Want something that will last a lifetime and is ultra reliable.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The last time I picked a shotgun and wanted it to last a lifetime I opted for a steel frame over aluminum. That in my case amounted to a Remington over a mossberg. I cannot advise you on any of those you listed but am curious what you final decision will be and why.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Want to pick up a 12 GA semi-automatic shotgun. Based in NYC so limited to 5+1. Can't have pistol grip or collapsible stock. Want it for self defense but it is also important that it be fun at range and may be able to be used for things like clays etc, but not a dedicated sport gun. Don't really do any hunting. Would like something that will take a wide range of ammo and decent recoil mitigation.

Looking at:

Benelli M4
1301 tactical
1301 comp pro
Benelli M2
A400 Extreme

I heard the m2 runs cleaner than the others. Which ones have least amount of recoil. I know the m4 is likely the heaviest. I don't think I would be adding an optic. Want something that will last a lifetime and is ultra reliable.
I own a Remington 1187 Police Magnum. It holds 10 rounds but I'm sure you can find a spacer. I changed the buttpad and can fire 10 rounds in less than 10 seconds. Should be enough firepower for most of NYC neighborhoods ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Steer clear of inertia guns, and go gas action, they really are not that much fun after a day on clay birds.
Friend has a stoeger, its killed plenty of birds on the water, but is really not fun to shoot, my Versa-Max, can be shot all day long. Often referred to as the cheaters gun, because it hits everything its pointed at all day. everyone likes to use it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
OP, as you know... because you live in NYC you can not posses a shotgun that can hold more than 5rds. NYC rule. (A firearm that is legal in NYS may NOT be legal in NYC because NYC has their own gun rules.)
And your long guns must be register through NYPD in NYC. That said.

I believe the Benelli M4 has a pistol grip (not sure if it's offered w/o.) Pistol grip = NG in NYC.
The 1301 Tactical is out because it holds 6rds
The 1301 Comp pro is out because it holds 10rds

The M2 and A400 are very good shotguns. I think they're offered with a 26"-28" barrel.

I read that you want a 12ga shotgun for home defense, range and clay shooting. That's fine, but you may find it does not fit all those roles. I say that because you would want a short barrel for HD, and a long barrel for clay. An 18" tactical barrel is not good for clay shooting. Vise-versa a long-barreled shotgun is not ideal for home defense in a NYC apartment/ home because it will get cumbersome maneuvering in tight quarters.

You can try to buy a separate barrel for the other role, but it can get expensive/ hard to come by depending on the brand.

(I had an 18" HD shotgun. sold it because my handgun fills that role. My other shotguns are setup for hunting and clay.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts