New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I bought a Vortex about a year ago..It is OK, Wish I had saved up and got an Aimpoint or EOTech instead!

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
sig saur has a red dot scope for about 150 bucks. I put one on my 57 upper and it ispretty light weight and compacr.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Vortex Strikefire if you want a full size red dot (the red only version is supposed to be newer than the one that can display red or green).

Primary Arms Aimpoint clone w/ADM mount or Vortex Sparc if you want a mini-RDS. I'd only spring for the Sparc if you need the NV capability, otherwise the PA Aimpoint clone has easier-to-use on/off/brightness controls, IMO.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Take a look at the Burris TAC30 if you want something 1-4X.
I have the Aimpoint H1 & I used to have the Aimpoint PRO & the Eotech 551. I was shooting in a match with a fellow NYF member & he uses the Burris TAC30. I was looking through the Burris & it is a great optic for the money. Just remember that you will have to buy rings for it.

If you really want a red dot, check out the Primary Arms--it gets great reviews for a budget red dot or hunt around on the used section and see what Aimpoints or EoTechs come up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Vortex Sparc, that I'm very happy with. Very crisp dot, comes with a decent mount and a 2X magnifier. The one thing about the magnifier is that it greatly reduces your field of view. I still like it and use it, but that is the drawback of the magnifier.

I've use an Eotech and I actually prefer the Sparc, but I haven't used an Aimpoint. The sparc can't begin to compete with the battery life of the Aimpoints.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
vortex strike fire or sparc

Or save for a little longer and get the aimpoint pro its $435 on optics planet

·
Registered
86 Posts
vortex strike fire or sparc

Or save for a little longer and get the aimpoint pro its $435 on optics planet
I waited a full week for the aimpoint pro from optics planet when I requested over night shipping. They didn't advertise that it was on a 2-3 week backorder. My friend is also going through the same thing with an Eotech from optics planet. I found a new Eotech for less than $400 locally, I also agree with Dieter in finding a used Eotech or Aimpoint on a forum like m4carbine.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I waited a full week for the aimpoint pro from optics planet when I requested over night shipping. They didn't advertise that it was on a 2-3 week backorder. My friend is also going through the same thing with an Eotech from optics planet. I found a new Eotech for less than $400 locally, I also agree with Dieter in finding a used Eotech or Aimpoint on a forum like m4carbine.
Ive never purchased anything from optics planet.. they are the only place I can find that has the aimpoint pro though

·
Registered
86 Posts
palmetto state armory had them last I knew, they may also be on back order also. I would like to try out the PRO since I own a 512 at the moment.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The PA micro dot works great on my .22 rifle, but I couldn't tell you if will hold up on an AR. The SPARC was "OK", but not on par with my Aimpoint's and EOTech's. For a $300 budget, I would either look to buy a slightly used EOTech 512 or save a little more for a new EOTech XPS2-0 from Primary Arms (about $429).

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
+1 on the Vortex Strikefire. I got one a couple weeks ago, and so far I love it. Very accurate out to 100 yards (I haven't been beyond that), easy to zero, and holds the zero well, even through a couple bangs and bumps I've given it. I would, however, agree with some other reviews I've seen that say it's not 'operator' level equipment. I don't know about banging and bumping it around in Iraq or any LE applications. But to just have on a sporter rifle, it's well worth it. It's also nice to have it come with a mount, since I believe the Aimpoints do not; and the mount is rather nice. Maybe not a LaRue Tactical style mount, but nice enough for the application. It's also parallax free past 50 yards, but very definitely not at less than that. I usually get around 2" groups shooting from a rest at 50 yards.

The dot may be a touch big for some people; it's a 4 MOA, vs a 2 MOA. So once you get out to 100+ yards, it might cover a lot of the target. I personally don't have a problem with, just FYI. It also co-witnesses perfectly with front fixed sights on an AR, just be sure to get the high mount. It also lacks the bluish or greenish tint some red dots scopes have; it has a nice, clear sight picture. I also have not had any of the issues with the NV mode some users have reported, nor with having the scope be easily turned on. The on/off switch is on the side of the scope, where it could be bumped, but I have a fairly snug gun case I use, and it's never been turned on in transit.

It also includes a 2x mount, but I haven't even tried it, since it feels a touch on the gimmicky side; like it was included for the sake of having it.

The EOTechs and Aimpoints are nice, but you're going to have to hunt for one under $300. Sometimes a used, last-gen Aimpoint surfaces on eBay for a steal, but it's rare.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts