New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
First, I want to thank Jeff for being so responsive to my request for a forum section about preparedness.

The subject of preparedness/self sufficiency brings a lot of things to mind. Anyone with a television today is probably aware of the show; Doomsday Preppers . This television series goes a long way toward dissuading anyone from even discussing the topic of preparedness because the folks shown on the show are just so goofy nobody in their right mind wants to be associated with them. That's entertainment that promotes an agenda we can discuss later.

The vast majority of folks that take this activity seriously are just plain folks that go about their business without generating any attention.

These "majority members" of the prepper community are anything but goofy. They are just like you and me and have recognized that there are potential emergency situations that a prudent person should be prepared for.

If you own a car you've got car insurance. Does this mean that you expect to be in an accident? No it means that you realize that accidents happen and you want to be prepared in case you have one.

You probably have health insurance. Does this mean that you expect to get seriously ill or badly injured? No, it means that you realize that there is a possibility that you might need medical care so you want to be ready just in case.

If you own a home you probably have fire insurance……..you get it by now.

Preparedness/Self Sufficiency is insurance you get by amassing knowledge, skills and materials that might be useful in the event that something goes wrong.

What could go wrong? Let me make a short list;

1. Losing Your Job: You or a family member could get laid off and your family suffers a catastrophic income loss. Having a good supply of groceries in the house could help mitigate the situation. Getting out of debt will go a long way to preparing you to weather this storm.

2. Temporary Power Outage: Having a supply of candles, flashlights, batteries, etc. can sure make this situation easier to tolerate. An auxiliary generator to provide power to your freezer could save you a pile of cash by keeping your frozen food frozen. A woodstove and an ample supply of firewood can make this emergency an enjoyable adventure as opposed to a life threatening emergency in the winter.

3. Ice Storm, Blizzard, etc.: See #2

4. Tornado/Violent Weather: A safe room or shelter of some kind built into your home could mean the difference between life and death. Here in Upstate New York we seldom experience this kind of weather but in other places in this country a shelter of some kind is essential.

5. Earthquake: We don't live in California but we do experience tremblers here in Upstate New York. A severe earthquake elsewhere in the country could bring about supply disruptions that would affect us here.

6. Civil Unrest/Riots: It's pretty important to recognize that such things happen. They have happened in the past and are likely to happen in the future. You'll need to be prepared, at least with a plan.

7. Chemical Spill/Chemical Accident: The level of threat to you will depend on your location. Awareness and technical knowledge combined with a modicum of equipment can save you and your family.

8. Broad Based Economic Down Turn: See #1

9. Hyper Inflation: See #1

10. Long Term Interruption of the Power Supply: This event could accompany any of a number of other emergencies and would certainly contribute to a general emergency. Such an event could be caused by Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) caused by the detonation of a nuclear weapon high up in the atmosphere or by a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) which is a natural phenomenon associated with storms on the sun. This type of emergency has been the topic of a number of great novels such as Lights Out and One Second After.

11. Interruption/Contamination of the Water Supply: This event will most surely accompany #10 but can occur alone. It's prudent to have some plan and preparations for such an event.

12. Interruption of Sewer Service: This event will present a serious health risk if you're not prepared to deal with it.

13. Pandemic/Bioterrorism: This is a reoccurring event in human history. Preparations for this include education, inoculation and preparing to self quarantine.

14. Nuclear Detonations/Nuclear War/Dirty Bombs: This threat didn't disappear with the end of the cold war. Again knowledge will be a key to survival in such an emergency.

15. Asteroid/Comet Strike: If it's big enough no preparation will help. But a less than extinction event might be survivable if you are prepared.

16. Volcanic Eruption: Again, here in Upstate New York we really don't see this. However, a severe eruption elsewhere, like an earthquake, could interrupt the normal flow of goods and services for an extended period of time.

This isn't a complete list but it's enough to illustrate that the world we live in isn't as safe as we'd like to think.

If you spend any time thinking about each of these events you'll soon realize that the same preparations apply to many of them.

I hope that we can discuss, like adults, those topics of interest related to preparedness/self sufficiency here. Preparedness/Self Sufficiency has been a hobby of mine for several decades and look forward to sharing what I can.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
thanks and there's a lot there to discuss down the line, and you pose some very viable and very possible scenarios here to think about. As far as those who say "nah, can't happen here", you are terribly wrong. We have a pretty good deal here in this country and we've gotten spoiled.
Several points come to mind, not the least of which is the complete deterioration of society in the cities across the country. Most of them are pressure cooker time bombs waiting to go off. Alarmist? Maybe. I truly want to be wrong, but i don't think I will be.
For example, I visited Beirut in I think, '61-'62. Beautiful cosmopolitan multicultural, multi ethnic, multi religious working society with great restaurants, hotels, and all the amenities of modern urban life.
Went back in early '76, arriving to see the shell of the Holiday Inn as a burning high rise combat zone, with Palestinians throwing Christians off the fourteen story roof, retaliation for when the Christians did the same thing to them when they took it earlier. The entire city, it's society, it's culture, and all that made it beautiful were destroyed, and it has never really recovered. If you don't think that that can happen here, you're mistaken. And if you live upstate (as most of you do) you won't escape the ramiications. Sorry for the rant, but this is a subject I've long had an interest in. All society is fragile folks, and none of them have lived forever.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
And FWIW, "Doomsday Preppers" is the biggest crock of crap to come down the pike in a long time

·
Registered
522 Posts
I will say this. As one just starting to be prepared..... doomsday p may be a bit wacko... but i for one learned something from each show. Which upon further investigation yielded great info... egg storage, foods suitable for canning. Etc. So yes those people are extreme. But the show intends to portray it that way gor ratings... i feel some of them would appear to be regular joes in person were it not for the show..

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Great start Kevin. I've been stocking and self supplying for a while. After the last few events (Last ice storm, East Coast power outage) I got serious and started gathering the essentials. Everyone has to realize it may not be the major disaster that causes the problem, it might be the series of small ones that could tax the aid supply and then affect us here. OR, it may be a series of issues here that just overwhelms the system and causes shortages or outright depleted supplies.

I'm gonna watch this one!

Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Okay so here we go again into the winter months...time for the winter prep blogging. What's on everyone's list of todo's?? I'll start with checking the generator and the food shelves for the staples, batteries,water, etc. ... anyone want to follow up with ideas or must haves ...

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Okay so here we go again into the winter months...time for the winter prep blogging. What's on everyone's list of todo's?? I'll start with checking the generator and the food shelves for the staples, batteries,water, etc. ... anyone want to follow up with ideas or must haves ...
ive still got plenty water and canned food. I do plan to drag out more good firewood to have handy for the fireplaces instead of having to dig it out of the garage in mid-winter...it sucks to.

I do wish to get another case or two of .223 when I can swing some..

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Hurricane Candles @ the Dollar store: <$1.00 each
They burn for over 24-hours.
Lay in a couple cases.

BTW.....do you have matches in the house?

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Hurricane Candles @ the Dollar store: <$1.00 each
They burn for over 24-hours.
Lay in a couple cases.

BTW.....do you have matches in the house?
YES Hurricane Candles, I knew there was something else on my list that I forgot. I gotta take a look in the local dollar stores...

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Yep remember December could be "IT"!Got as much ammo as I could afford but still need more IMO,like 30-06/270 and 308 calibers.These are going to be necessities unlike uncommon ammo/calibers.Got plenty of guns,and only want/need another (or 2) of the 308 caliber rifles.Still want to load up on some supply's like booze (even though I dont drink anymore) and cigs (I smoke),enough for for at least a couple months.Be comfortable for a while before its cat/dog food days (yuck).

Just hope theres a build up before something happens to have more time to prepare.Really do not know what to do if I had to start preparing when it strarts though!My old lady think im nuts but like I say,bullets/guns may be the next form of money?If not I got deer season supply's covered for the rest of my life LOL!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Learn to reload..componets are cheaper to buy, and you can stock up alot more rounds than buying factory rounds. If you have electric scale, get an invertor and a 12v battery that's charged..most everything else runs on hand power.

Supply of gasoline is a good idea..
An old snowmobile that runs, in case the roads are snowed in and you have an emergancey..
Candles, they been covered..
Another way of cooking food, in case elect goes out and you only have an elect stove..
Firewood
Generator..you will need one to run your outside woodstove if you have one..

List goes on, and on..

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Good thread. Are there any "must have" books out there that you would recommend for the noob who wants to get a solid grounding on the basics? On a semi-serious note, we can probably expect we won't have this forum to come back to with questions if and when that day arrives so I think it would be wise to have a small reference library available as well.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Hunting and fishing would be a great supply for a long time,I really dont see it coming down to eating bugs and plants?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Nice thread.

Lithium Batteries

I was thinking that in the Home Depot sometimes they have the best price I know for the Lithium batteries. I have been buying the ultimate 8x and they actually do last longer than x8. Not only they are lighter, the have a shelf life of 15+years. Also if you try them out you will find out that with these big retail deals they are a better deal than the actual regular batteries because they last so long. I have over 200 batteries and keep buying a few more. Then I will rotate them. This summer I put a single pair on a digital camera and they lasted over 1000 pictures most with flash. Could not believe it. Besides your LED flashlights and headmounts, also look for a few alternatives of table top led for around the house. The largest ones are really bright and also might last up to 1week+ in low power. With D lithium batteries might last what, a month or two?

Coleman Classic XPS LED Lantern: Lanterns | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Rayovac SE3DLNA - 4 Watt - Battery Operated - LED

I also buy Ni-MH rechargeable batteries. Next investment is a RV solar panel kit with dual controllers and Ni-MH battery packs.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Hunting and fishing would be a great supply for a long time,I really dont see it coming down to eating bugs and plants?
You're crazy if you're not thinking about eating wild plants. What happens when EVERYONE around you tries to rely on hunting and fishing for food? Fish and game will run out.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Good thread. Are there any "must have" books out there that you would recommend for the noob who wants to get a solid grounding on the basics? On a semi-serious note, we can probably expect we won't have this forum to come back to with questions if and when that day arrives so I think it would be wise to have a small reference library available as well.
Others can comment on the books but for me the first must have survival book is a little bible.
Try the mother-earth news magazine. Organic Gardening, Modern Homesteading, Renewable Energy, Green Homes, DIY Projects I am subscribed. They have great tips on alternative
living and how to build stuff and improve the homestead.
I am using some of their ideas to replace the traditional BBQ by an earth oven but instead of using their design I am going
to make one with refractory bricks. Great articles and tips on that magazine.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Others can comment on the books but for me the first must have survival book is a little bible.
Try the mother-earth news magazine. Organic Gardening, Modern Homesteading, Renewable Energy, Green Homes, DIY Projects I am subscribed. They have great tips on alternative
living and how to build stuff and improve the homestead.
I am using some of their ideas to replace the traditional BBQ by an earth oven but instead of using their design I am going
to make one with refractory bricks. Great articles and tips on that magazine.

Cheers.
The Mother Earth mags arn't near as good as they were when they first came out..I have the complete set upto about 98, after that they went down hill fast..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts