New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bushmaster xm 15, I went to put on a sling adapter (which does not fit) and after watching youtube for disassembly instructions I realized that my buffer tube does not have the same lock nut as many other I have seen (no need for a spanner wrench???) and that mine does not have the"rib" along the underside of the tube like some others. I posted pictures to show what I mean. My ultimate goal is to put a skeleton stock on it, but I need some guidance, like how long of a stock will work, what brand/make of skeleton stock should I get, what else will I need to make it work? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
You have a fixed stock tube, sometimes mis-identified as an "A2 stock tube."

The A2 and A1 stock tubes are the same, but the A2 uses a spacer at the end.

Put a block in the lower receiver and use a crescent wrench on the flats at the end of the tube. Alternatively, you can just clamp the lower between your knees (use towels) and go at it.

What do you mean by "skeleton stock?" If you're looking at ACE stocks, the rifle length uses the same tube you have there, no need to take the tube off. If you want the "entry" version, it comes with its own tube.

If you mean a pinned collapsible stock (like the Magpul MOE/CTR/ACS/ACS-L/STR) then you'll need a different buffer tube, but should probably have the stock pinned before attaching a working collapsible stock to your lower receiver (unless you are working with a preban lower receiver already).

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The spacer at the end of the tube, is this where the bolt that holds the stock in position (in the end of the buffer tube) would thread into?
And Yes I'm talkng about the ACE skeleton stock. Thanks LDD!

·
Registered
528 Posts
The spacer at the end of the tube, is this where the bolt that holds the stock in position (in the end of the buffer tube) would thread into?
If you had an A2 stock on there, then yes, the top screw from the A2 stock threads through/into the spacer & eventually, tube itself.

And Yes I'm talkng about the ACE skeleton stock. Thanks LDD!
The longer ACE stock uses the tube you have, so you don't need to take it off as far as I know.

IIRC, there is a type of endplate-like device that allows you to use 1 pt slings with an A2 stock. I don't know if that device is compatible with the ACE stock though.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
*cough*receiver extension*cough*

IIRC, there is a type of endplate-like device that allows you to use 1 pt slings with an A2 stock. I don't know if that device is compatible with the ACE stock though.
There's also stuff like these that will work, but add LOP
(linx to these items listed by evileyeswatchin in the other ongoing ACE thread)

And its quite possible to work a QD socket for
into the butt of the stock. Plenty of meat there.
If using the
type, the ACE comes with a couple of those nipples to install if desired. One for the butt and one for up by the receiver IIRC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts