New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Applied march 2011, 18 months ago. March 2012, I had my "final interview"... Now 5 months later I have no answer. THey told me during my final interview I'd hear something in 2-4 months (which is BS all by itself)... Last month I went to the Pistol Dept and todl them how long it has been. They said back to me that they sent my application out to the judge and it is "out of their hands and not their problem". They also told me not to contact the judge or they will get mad and put my application at the bottom of the pile. WTF do i do now its been 18 months .

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I would contact the judge asking the status because its been 18 months.

That is rediculous though. When was it sent to the judge do you know?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
They also told me not to contact the judge or they will get mad and put my application at the bottom of the pile
Christ, what is this, Middle School All over again?? People need to have some professionalism and do their Job. They are here to serve the public.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would contact the judge asking the status because its been 18 months.

That is rediculous though. When was it sent to the judge do you know?
Sometime after march 2012. They told me during the final interview they had to get my drive abstract and that was it. god knows how long that took. But I was @ the pistol department a month ago and it was sent out.

How would i contact the judge? by phone or letter? Would this piss the judge off? I know I have to be polite. Where would i get the judge address for a letter? all i get is phone numbers online

Does the pistol dept have to give me the mailng address and phone number of the judge if i ask?
Do they have to tell me the excat day they sent my application over?

Also for all i know my app has been sitting on the judges desk for only 6 weeks and it isnt the judges fault at all so its tricky what i should do

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also the pistol dept. told me that the judge for my are, Nicholas Derosa, was dealing with "high profile" cases, and this could be the big delay.. is this legit reason?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
also the pistol dept. told me that the judge for my are, Nicholas Derosa, was dealing with "high profile" cases, and this could be the big delay.. is this legit reason?
18 months is way too long for Orange County to act on a pistol license. Is there anything UNUSUAL in your background that would impede you from getting a permit?

·
Registered
460 Posts
i started the process of getting my pistol permit in December 2011, had my interview on the spot when i handed in the second part of my application which was the very end of December 2011 and at this point i was told i have nothing left to do but wait, that they were still working on getting back all my background information. my permit was granted to me by Judge DeRosa in the beginning of May 2012. i would try to get in contact with the judge because this doesnt seem right.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I would pay an attornet to draft a letter on their letterhead asking what the status is.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Screw using an attorney, just write a polite letter to the judge with a time line of your permit process and respectfully request the status of your permit. Judges are regular people too. They are not gods. Like I said, a polite letter. Return receipt requested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife,some friends and I all applied late March.Saw the Sheriff in late Apr. After the interview we were told, we would hear something in two months.In late July,my wife received a letter to pick up her license at the parry building (hers is a "restricted Lic").My friend was told to call the courthouse to set-up an appointment with Hon. Judge Berry,called there for three weeks,finally went in for interview,got his "unrestricted Lic." A week after my wife got her letter,I got my letter.My lic. was ready and also restricted,we both are restricted to "target" and "hunting",*my wife does'nt hunt.Our judge was the Hon. Judge A. Bivona.We both requested full carry/UNR

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I would pay an attornet to draft a letter on their letterhead asking what the status is.
+1 on using a lawyer. The law says they have six months, if I am not correct. No one likes to tangle with a lawyer. Not even judges. ;)Sure they can go over and there is not much you can do, but his is an extreme amount of time. Why did it take so long to get your interview in the first place??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts