New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a clear description of how the Poly 80 derived handguns are processed/allowed in NYS? I couldn't find one on a quick search. So indulge me please:

1. Can you buy a Poly 89 kit without any registrations for your permit?
2. Or do you have to declare it for your permit before you buy?
3. If you do get the kit and other parts to complete a gun what is the procedure? Do you have go through a FFL to get it, put it together, serial number to be added?

I know a Senate bill against ghost guns was passed but I don't think it became law, so what's its status? Sorry if I missed something. Clarity would help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I didn't hear it become law. Pretty surprised it hasn't yet.

I asked the Cattaraugus County permit clerk about this once because I thought it would be fun to do. I can't find an e-mail so I must of called.

Since in NY you need to have the background check before you have the handgun you'd need to SN the lower (and whatever else is required) & give it to the sheriff's office until all the checks & whatnot are complete. Once it's on your permit you can have it back.

That would mean you can't actually mill it until it's on your permit because then you'd have an illegal handgun according to NY law.

Even though I knew it would cost more vs buying a gun I decided the fun factor wasn't worth THAT much. I just wanted to do a glock 9mm kit, so it wasn't anything special.

EDIT: when I checked ~2 years ago, you can stamp the SN & what not on the gun yourself following the ATF's guidelines on that. A letter/number punch kit from Harbor Freight would be good enough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I didn't hear it become law. Pretty surprised it hasn't yet.

I asked the Cattaraugus County permit clerk about this once because I thought it would be fun to do. I can't find an e-mail so I must of called.

Since in NY you need to have the background check before you have the handgun you'd need to SN the lower (and whatever else is required) & give it to the sheriff's office until all the checks & whatnot are complete. Once it's on your permit you can have it back.

That would mean you can't actually mill it until it's on your permit because then you'd have an illegal handgun according to NY law.

Even though I knew it would cost more vs buying a gun I decided the fun factor wasn't worth THAT much. I just wanted to do a glock 9mm kit, so it wasn't anything special.

EDIT: when I checked ~2 years ago, you can stamp the SN & what not on the gun yourself following the ATF's guidelines on that. A letter/number punch kit from Harbor Freight would be good enough.
sadly it did pass in 2019 but...but if you didnt find out already we in Catt county are a constitution sanctuary not only being limited to the 2A like most do. Our county said they will not house or provide any support to any unconstitutional laws and/or actions taken by state/federal agents

*article covering the legislation

·
Registered
581 Posts
I read about that on the county website a couple months ago, never saw an article about it. Nice. Looks like my friendly letter of much displeasement wasn't alone to my county legislators. :)

I thought the ghost gun ban was a 2020/21 thing, not a 2019 thing. I just don't remember reading about Cuomo signing it. Which I think is strange, but I also remember he had the pro-abortion thing on his desk for quite a while & waited to sign it with big fanfare & (I seem to remember) an anti-Trump theme.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts