New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some info on getting something copyrighted FAST!!!! Anyone ever copyright something before? I've played drums on many recordings and that is all copyrighted material BUT .. the recording studio/co. took care of it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
If you start a business or a service you can do a Service Mark over any materials for a first level protection. (ie: websites, adds, collaterals, etc..)
Then contact an Intellectual Property Lawyer and explain the products and/or services you want to protect.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
If it is possible, you could mail pictures and/or designs or even the written idea of the 'thing' to yourself to establish a concept date.

But I would definitely get in touch with a patent/copyright lawyer ASAP

·
Registered
475 Posts
First of all do you actually mean copyright? A copyright does not cover ideas only the artistic expression of the ideas. i.e your drumming style and patterns. Copyright automatically invokes itself when you create the work and you are left to document the date of creation. The method of mailing a notarized copy (recording or pictures) to yourself is better than nothing, but probably would not hold up in court if it came down to it. If you have concerns about losing money due to infringement then you should contact an Intellectual Property lawyer. If you are not focused on making money and simply want to be assured that you retain credit for the work then look into the Creative Commons license.

If you have invented something then you are talking about utility or design patents and that is a whole other thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts