New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious what the bottom line is on threaded barrels is in NY. Specifically, I'm curious about on a .22 pistol. I'd like to get a 22/45, but so many of the models from Ruger come with a threaded barrel. I'm not picky if I have to get something to go on the end afterward; a compensator, or whatever, just so long as I can get it in the first place. I also want to upgrade it to one of the PacLite barrels from Tactical Solutions. And once again, don't mind putting a compensator on the end to make everything A-ok with NY after getting the PacLite barrel as well.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Threaded bbl on a pistol like that is fine. Magazine fits into the grip. On pistols with mag wells forwards of the grip is when they are an issue if I recall.

Rugers, sigs , H&ks etc all gtg w threaded bbls

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
A threaded barrel is 1 evil feature on both pistols and rifles. You are allowed 1.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Threaded bbl on a pistol like that is fine. Magazine fits into the grip. On pistols with mag wells forwards of the grip is when they are an issue if I recall.

Rugers, sigs , H&ks etc all gtg w threaded bbls
That's interesting, honestly. I've got an AR15, so obviously that has the pinned muzzle device, and know all about how NY feels about that :err: I didn't know what the deal was with pistols, especially .22's, since those sometimes seem 'exempt' from other regulations. The one that commonly brought to attention is AR/assault rifle regulations as far as threaded ends.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A threaded barrel is 1 evil feature on both pistols and rifles. You are allowed 1.
Right, which is why ARs have to get pinned muzzle devices; the detachable mag and pistol grip take up the 'evil devices.' Now, for a threaded .22, does a muzzle device have to be permanently affixed after I get one to be compliant with NY? I mean, it wouldn't really matter, I couldn't get a suppressor for it, anyway.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Now, for a threaded .22, does a muzzle device have to be permanently affixed after I get one to be compliant with NY?
No, not on a pistol, so long as the pistol does not have a mag well outside the pistol grip or is over 50oz. in weight. or has a "barrel shroud". In the case of the large majority of pistol designs, you wouldn't be able dissasemble a pistol for cleaning with a permanently affixed comp anyway.

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/la...te-assault-weapon-ban-faq-part-4-pistols.html

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, not on a pistol, so long as the pistol does not have a mag well outside the pistol grip or is over 50oz. in weight. or has a "barrel shroud". In the case of the large majority of pistol designs, you wouldn't be able dissasemble a pistol for cleaning with a permanently affixed comp anyway.

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/la...te-assault-weapon-ban-faq-part-4-pistols.html
Thanks for the link. What an odd set of guidelines NY has there, especially the weight limit. I'd not really looked into the pistol end of things before, just the rifles.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Thanks for the link. What an odd set of guidelines NY has there, especially the weight limit. I'd not really looked into the pistol end of things before, just the rifles.
Remember, they are odd because people who were scared of how guns looked made them. No one with any real firearms knowledge had any part of writing those laws. I'm just surprised that they also did not ban black weapons.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Learn something new everyday. I always thought if it is a semi-auto firearm, no threaded barrels allowed unless a muzzle brake is welded to it. So I guess my P22 is legal after all! LOL!

James
Just don't take it to Cali. It's an Evil Assault Weapon there for just that reason.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts