New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my G19 now I need a good holster. I am considering the Crossbreed Supertuck IWB or a Milt Sparks of the same type. A friend of mine said I should consider a paddle holster also, but it seems harder to conceal. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Matt

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
MTAC or CTAC from Comp-Tac if you like kydex. I have never used leather so I can't recommend one of those.

·
I am Iron Man!
453 Posts
Many of us carry our G19's in a Durbin leather DJ2 IWB holster. $55 shipped.

I have a supertuck for my taurus 24/7 and have been mostly happy with that also. But it cost more, I had to cut away additional leather to keep it from getting in the way when reholstering, and the clips that are suppsosed to hold it on my don't always do their job--as in I have had it happen several time where when I drew my handgun, it came out of my waistband holster and all. Needless to say in self defense situation, that would REALLY suck.

I have also heard first hand accounts supertucks disintegrating in CQC training.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many of us carry our G19's in a Durbin leather DJ2 IWB holster. $55 shipped.

Can you tell me how to get one of these? I don't see a website after searching. A phone number and name would be great. I saw a picture of it on another thread from October, I think.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Whatever you do. Don't buy a holster that use spring clips to keep the holster in place. They can get stretched and loose grip, and then when you go to draw it in a hurry. Wooops! out comes your whole rig, not just the pistol. Stick with a holster that uses leather straps to secure the rig.

·
Registered
146 Posts
For IWB, I have both a VM-2 and an MTAC for my G19.

The VM-2 is an extremely well-made holster, but I prefer the MTAC for a couple reasons.

The VM seems to ride too high for me. The MTAC sits a bit lower, and can be adjusted for cant and ride height. It's held in place with kydex clips, which I've had zero problems with after carrying with it for a few months.

You can get extra kydex shells for different handguns with the MTAC ($38 each IIRC).

Price is much less, and turnaround time is WAY less (something like 8 business days when I ordered mine). I did luck out with my VM-2 from Top Gun Supply...they get them in stock from time to time.

Holsters are completely subjective, but for me the MTAC is lighter, more comfortable, more versatile, less expensive, and more readily available. YMMV.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I been using Side Guard Holsters for all my Glocks.. The workmanship is great and the holsters are very comfortable.. I was carrying his line for awhile on my site but it takes him up to six weeks to make custom holsters.. He usually carrys Glock , XD's in stock... I have a Crossbreed it is in my holster "drawer"

Side Guard Sample

Crossbreed Bulkier

The Crossbreed is so much bulckier.. Yes it is a great holster also.. I bought my crossbreed while I was waiting for my SGH holster...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the great information. I am going to try to call the guy that makes the Durbin DJ2. I am a little concerned with all the exposed stitches on the interior. It seems like it may cause a lot of holster wear. Is it possible to tuck your shirt in with this type of holster or do I need the retention clips to do that? The VM-2 looks great but I don't want to wait for one to become available and the price is pretty high. I may just have to suck it up and take chance on one or two and learn from the experience until I find the right fit. I am also a south paw so finding a used holster is even harder.

·
I am Iron Man!
453 Posts
Whatever you do. Don't buy a holster that use spring clips to keep the holster in place. They can get stretched and loose grip, and then when you go to draw it in a hurry. Wooops! out comes your whole rig, not just the pistol. Stick with a holster that uses leather straps to secure the rig.
Exactly what was happening with my crossbreed holster.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I have both the Milt Sparks VM-2 and the Durbin. Although there is a difference in the 'forming' and detail, they both retain, wear, secure, and carry the gun well. This is one of those rare instances that you get a lot more for what you pay.

I've been working with Bob, without compensation, for a couple years now and have yet to find a customer of his that is not pleased with the holster. I do know a few that have graduated up to the VM-2 from Milt after seeing how good the Durbin holster is.

If you want to get in touch with him, pm me and I'll get you the number.

Dave

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I run either a Durbin or Kramer. Both work very well. There is a substantial price difference and waiting period (Kramer is 2.5 times the price of the Durbin, and can take a few months). Holsters are a personal feel. They have to work with you, so don't get upset if one that works great for me feels like junk to you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I email the the guy that makes the Side Guard holsters. He has some lefty IWB models available. I guess it is between the Durbin and the Side Guard they are both the same price. A Milt Sparks maybe down the road but I need something I can buy now. I have already cleaned out a drawer for the rejects!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have also heard first hand accounts supertucks disintegrating in CQC training.
What do you mean by disintegrating? Just coming loose/out of pants or parts breaking off?

A Supertuck was on the top of my list for my Sig P228R when I get my permit. Someone on another forum I'm on has both a ST and a MTAC and prefers the ST as it's a slightly lower profile.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts