New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is it that the guy who brings the most guns to the range feels he doesnt need to clean up his brass??, today while at a local range there was a guy with an AK launching brass 5 lanes over and laughing about it with no concern with anyone else in the lanes. is it just loud gun syndrome?? much like big truck syndrome. when he realized his AK was causing a hazard he switched to his AR and shot brass 3 lanes over and then left all his brass on ground and left . is this normal???????

· Registered
5,426 Posts
why is it that the guy who brings the most guns to the range feels he doesnt need to clean up his brass??, today while at a local range there was a guy with an AK launching brass 5 lanes over and laughing about it with no concern with anyone else in the lanes. is it just loud gun syndrome?? much like big truck syndrome. when he realized his AK was causing a hazard he switched to his AR and shot brass 3 lanes over and then left all his brass on ground and left . is this normal???????
Unfortunately from what I have seen it's normal, they just don't give a **** at ranges anymore, on the bright side I usually scoop up all the brass I can and trade it on here or with other people who can reload it, it cleans the range and it gets me a few bucks, I also collect steel casing to turn in for scrap metal once I save enough, but sadly dumbasses with no brass awareness and about as common as a teenage girl chewing bubble gum.

· Registered
50 Posts
Unfortunately from what I have seen it's normal, they just don't give a **** at ranges anymore, on the bright side I usually scoop up all the brass I can and trade it on here or with other people who can reload it, it cleans the range and it gets me a few bucks, I also collect steel casing to turn in for scrap metal once I save enough, but sadly dumbasses with no brass awareness and about as common as a teenage girl chewing bubble gum.
I totally agree. As far as "flinging brass" that is completely unacceptable. I would call "CEASE FIRE" and kindly remind him what is brass is actually doing and could hurt someone. If he doesn't stop, get the hell out of there. Chances are if he's acting that way his gun safety is not where it should be either. Then call the range master/owner and let him know what you witnessed. Some clubs are instituting camera's to document things like this to have good cause to tell those people not to return.

As far as the brass on the ground, like the previous poster i'm fine with it. I spend about 20 minutes after each time I'm at the range picking up brass for later reloading or to trade/sell here on the forums. What I absolutely HATE and I will call people out on it is the garbage. Examples would be all the boxes ammo comes, other things that are inappropriate to shoot at etc. That just makes the range look nasty and ruins it for everyone else. Also expelled shotgun shells look awful.

· Registered
2,028 Posts
If the guy wants to shoot guns that do that, he should get on the bench on the end where the rounds won't interfere with other people or ask the person sitting on the end if they could have that seat due to the nature of the guns.

Also...

I too recently had a bad experience at my range.

The Story:

About 3-4 shooting benches were being occupied and all of us were having a great time, shooting guns and conversing in between shooting bouts.

Then, out of no where we hear this guy yelling at the top of his lungs about 100ft. behind us, coming up the road.....we all looked at each other like...what in the world is that.

Finally, the guy yelling gets up to the range and then tells us all to get off, immediately. He continues to yell and bicker at us, not even giving us a minute to collect our guns, targets, and ammo. He kept urging and urging us to hurry up... like the world was going to end.

Finally, he tells us in an angered voice that the hunter safety students are coming up to the range and that he needed us to get out, and fast, so they could shoot. (Yet they didn't get up there until 20+ minutes later).

Additionally, in one of the other shooter's haste to pick up all his guns and exit the range, he left a single round on the shooting bench and the grumpy guy went ballistic. He said, "WHO LEFT A LIVE ROUND ON THE BENCH!?!?, That is a serious safety hazard!". He then continued to rant on about many other things as we packed up and left the range.

Turns out, this guy was one of the people directing the Hunter Safety Courses, of all people. He had no patience whatsoever and he was the one creating the safety issue making all of us exit the range in such a haste.

I would have totally respected him as a person if he walked up to the range and said something like, "Hey guys, we are gonna have to stop shooting now because we have kids from the hunter safety course coming up to shoot. So pick up you stuff and you can continue to shoot after we are done".

It didn't happen that way and the guy was totally belligerent.

I also checked our club online calendar that is updated frequently beforehand and it said that there was no events for that day, so there was no way for any of us to know about the hunter safety course anyways. It said that the range was open and there was no events posted for that date.

Not to mention, this was my first time going to this range and it was a huge disappointment knowing that I just spent a considerable amount on the membership and had to deal with poor leadership like this.

In the end, the whole situation could have and should have been handled differently. I'm very disappointed to see that someone in a leadership position at the club, especially someone operating the hunter safety course, would act in such a manner. It was completely childish and uncalled for.

· Registered
2,452 Posts
I leave the range cleaner than I found it... pick up my brass, there's usually brass that either me or other shooters I know can use so that gets scooped up as well. I look at center-fire brass left behind like money left on the ground. Where I shoot, most of the time the place is spotless

That said, brass flies when you're firing a semi-auto - it's just a fact of life. Even at ranges where you have partitions between shooting positions, brass is still gonna fly. My Sig will send brass over a few lanes and generally flies back to around the 4:00 position - so I try to space myself accordingly from other shooters. On a busy day at the range, expect to have brass raining down on you.

Sure - there are brass catchers you can buy... shoot a wheel gun... a single-shot bolt-action rifle... etc. Perhaps range rules could be modified... wheel guns and single shots to the left, pistols in the middle, AR/AK's to the right.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Wow, I wish there were people like that at my range. Most of us are picking up brass after every magazine. I actually have to go buy ammo to get cases to reload. I would gladly stop shooting and just catch brass for 10-15 minutes given the opportunity, especially rifle brass.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
We've got three or four parasitic brass pickers at our club... they hover, and wait for someone to leave, then swoop in to grab the brass.
If I see someone else shooting I ask if they save their brass. If they say no, I offer to pick it up for them :) They are usually pretty happy with this arrangement.

However, about 90% of the time, they do save their brass :( I don't even bother asking at the rifle range because I've never seen anyone leave brass, ever.

· Registered
8,342 Posts
If I see someone else shooting I ask if they save their brass. If they say no, I offer to pick it up for them :) They are usually pretty happy with this arrangement.

However, about 90% of the time, they do save their brass :( I don't even bother asking at the rifle range because I've never seen anyone leave brass, ever.
Wow, all the brass you can pick up where I shoot!

· Registered
274 Posts
One of my friends from work sets a target stand on his right to deflect the brass when he's shooting his AK at the range. Seems to work pretty good, most of the brass ends up within three feet of him. There's an occasional casing that flies over, but the majority of them are contained. Keeps everyone on his right side a lot happier lol.

· Registered
410 Posts
Most people seem pretty courteous at the various places I've been, but only takes a few bad ones to make it seem like the problem is widespread. One guy with a few hundred rounds and and a trunk full of breakable garbage to shoot at can turn an otherwise orderly shooting area into a dump in no time. Is it "loud gun syndrome?" I don't think it is any kind of special syndrome relating to guns, it is just being a selfish and irresponsible. People do it in all areas of life. I've seen back country campsites full of candy and granola bar wrappers with piles of poo and used toilet paper left unburied, picnic tables in parks with the F word and drug references carved all over them, etc. If somebody's range behavior is unsafe, particularly rude, or unbearably annoying I have found that it can usually be addressed just by pointing it out to them.

· Registered
737 Posts
You know I think I may actually strt doing that. Picking up other peoples brass if left on the ground to hoepfully trade it for something worthwhile or sell it. How much 9mm bras woud Ihave to collect for it to be worth it for me?

· Registered
2,689 Posts
You know I think I may actually strt doing that. Picking up other peoples brass if left on the ground to hoepfully trade it for something worthwhile or sell it. How much 9mm bras woud Ihave to collect for it to be worth it for me?
People seem to pay a penny or two a piece, maybe double that for rifle brass. Freedommunitions.com has a trade-in program where you get ammo discounts if you send them brass. It seems like most people want to trade it for brass in different calibers though.

· Registered
876 Posts
If I were at that range when this guy came yelling, I would have taken my sweet ass time gathering my stuff and leaving the bench. I wouldn't give a crap who this guy was or what he was about to do. If he had a problem with me being slow, he would have had to speak to me about it. Then, at that time, the **** would have hit the fan. He might have been a big shot to some people there, but not to me.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
If the guy wants to shoot guns that do that, he should get on the bench on the end where the rounds won't interfere with other people or ask the person sitting on the end if they could have that seat due to the nature of the guns.

Also...

I too recently had a bad experience at my range.

The Story:

About 3-4 shooting benches were being occupied and all of us were having a great time, shooting guns and conversing in between shooting bouts.

Then, out of no where we hear this guy yelling at the top of his lungs about 100ft. behind us, coming up the road.....we all looked at each other like...what in the world is that.

Finally, the guy yelling gets up to the range and then tells us all to get off, immediately. He continues to yell and bicker at us, not even giving us a minute to collect our guns, targets, and ammo. He kept urging and urging us to hurry up... like the world was going to end.

Finally, he tells us in an angered voice that the hunter safety students are coming up to the range and that he needed us to get out, and fast, so they could shoot. (Yet they didn't get up there until 20+ minutes later).

Additionally, in one of the other shooter's haste to pick up all his guns and exit the range, he left a single round on the shooting bench and the grumpy guy went ballistic. He said, "WHO LEFT A LIVE ROUND ON THE BENCH!?!?, That is a serious safety hazard!". He then continued to rant on about many other things as we packed up and left the range.

Turns out, this guy was one of the people directing the Hunter Safety Courses, of all people. He had no patience whatsoever and he was the one creating the safety issue making all of us exit the range in such a haste.

I would have totally respected him as a person if he walked up to the range and said something like, "Hey guys, we are gonna have to stop shooting now because we have kids from the hunter safety course coming up to shoot. So pick up you stuff and you can continue to shoot after we are done".

It didn't happen that way and the guy was totally belligerent.

I also checked our club online calendar that is updated frequently beforehand and it said that there was no events for that day, so there was no way for any of us to know about the hunter safety course anyways. It said that the range was open and there was no events posted for that date.

Not to mention, this was my first time going to this range and it was a huge disappointment knowing that I just spent a considerable amount on the membership and had to deal with poor leadership like this.

In the end, the whole situation could have and should have been handled differently. I'm very disappointed to see that someone in a leadership position at the club, especially someone operating the hunter safety course, would act in such a manner. It was completely childish and uncalled for.
I would have taken my time, and if he kept it up (which you said he would have) I would demand to see his ID and refuse to move until he presented it, I would have copied down his information and made a very formal complaint about his behavior, I may have also recorded his actions on m cell phone, and had he escalated the situation I would have dialed 911 and said there was a man being loud, belligerent and possibly drunk at (insert here) shooting range and would request an officer there as soon as possible, and then waited for him to arrive, what a lesson that would have been for the young hunters "Now kids, this here is what happens when you are a ****ing *******, you see, people call the cops on you, and in the rougher parts of town, they shoot you in the face, any questions? Good, now join us in a day of shooting while your teacher takes a ride downtown."

· Registered
13,297 Posts
is it just loud gun syndrome?? much like big truck syndrome. when he realized his AK was causing a hazard he switched to his AR and shot brass 3 lanes over and then left all his brass on ground and left . is this normal???????
My .307 Win lever gun is much louder than either my 5.56 or 6.8 ARs, I drive a very big truck and always clean up mine and others brass when I'm done. IDK, is it normal to join a gun forum to bitch about loud guns? Noise and flung brass is sort of the price of admission, don't you think. I do agree he should have cleaned up afterwards though.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
My .307 Win lever gun is much louder than either my 5.56 or 6.8 ARs, I drive a very big truck and always clean up mine and others brass when I'm done. IDK, is it normal to join a gun forum to bitch about loud guns? Noise and flung brass is sort of the price of admission, don't you think. I do agree he should have cleaned up afterwards though.
I agree. Shocker amirite? I can't say YOU UNCOURTEOUS MORONS FLINGING BRASS LIKE THAT because our range does not have dividers. If you sit to the right of someone that has a semi-auto (me for example as I am often there first) then don't [email protected] about getting tinked with brass. I pay the same respect to others. I get next to someone, on the right side of them, shooting an AK and get tinked with the occasional brass. I laugh and move on. I have my eyes and ears on as you should anyway and we all get along. Kind of reminds me of the people in the swimming pool that don't want to get their hair wet.

· Registered
13,297 Posts
Lol, now I want to build an AR with left side eject so I can pull it out at the range for the guy who always grabs the leftmost stall, or better yet, during a combative carbine class. Having a casing go down the back of your shirt during a live fire drill is no fun at all, but man up, lol. Bowling is fun too I hear.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.