New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a chance too shoot my Rem 870 slug gun (RB, open sights). I tried shooting a few different types of "premium slugs" in 3" ; rem, copper solids, federal barnes expanders, and some winchester sabot slugs( bri).
The gun shoots around corners! At 50 yds, i could not hit a 3'x2' sheet of plywood the gun was shooting so far high & too the right that it was beyond correcting using the rear sight (vertical and horizontal adjustments)

any ideas or suggestions?

Was thinnking that maybe it was the 3" shells or maybe the the simple foster type slugs would shoot better......?

The front sight can be adjusted as well but if i am shooting right do i move the both the front and rear sight too the right?

in archery we adjust by "following the arrow" Does the same apply to adjusting open/ rifled sights?

thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
First and foremost, make sure you're shooting the correct slugs for your barrel. Rifled slugs are generally meant for smooth barrels, sabot slugs are meant for rifled barrels. Some slug brands say they're ok in either one, but unless the slug itself is "rifled" you'll have accuracy issues out of a smooth barrel.

I tried all sorts of sabots last year before hunting season and settled on the Hornady SST 300 gr (they are 2 3/4" shells). I also have a Remington Express 870 with a rifled barrel. IMHO the Hornady SST's have rifle-like accuracy out to 150 yds. If you check the ballistics chart, 0.00" drop at 150 yds (you want it firing about 2" high at 50-100 yds)...

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Shotgun :: SST® Slugs :: 12 ga Slug 300 gr FTX®

As you can see, muzzle velocity is 2000 ft/sec, and they're still supersonic (1341 ft/sec) delivering plenty of ft/lbs. of energy even out to 200 yds, but with a 6" drop so you need to compensate accordingly out beyond 150 yds. If you're accustomed to shooting a rifle, shotgun slugs do not have the same flat trajectory as a rifle bullet, but keep trying different slugs especially considering you're having issues hitting a 3'x2' target at just 50 yds. I've found that some slugs (especially the Winchesters) shoot terribly at any distance, all over the place with no consistent grouping. Mileage will vary depending on the shotgun.

A good scope and a lead sled (or similar) helps as well for determining consistency and POI of slugs. I'm also assuming you're using a rifled slug barrel and not a smooth barrel. Shotguns have a good deal of recoil so it's difficult to get tight groups at first, practice is key. If you're shooting out of a smooth barrel, I found that the Remington Sluggers performed best in my Rem. 870 (with stock 18" smooth barrel). Different slugs will produce different results, best to find out what shoots best out of your particular shotgun by trying out the different brands, so you're on the right track.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I shoot the Remington AccuTip sabots out of my 870 with rifled barrel (scope on the cantilevered barrel). It shot very consistently at 100 yds at the indoor range where I sighted it in. It had a predictable drop at 200yds when I shot it out that far for fun.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have open sights on the gun for quick shots while still hunting.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I like the copper solids. Just backing up what Chris is saying, make sure your barrel is rifled if you're using sabots, or smooth if you're using rifled slugs.

·
Banned
478 Posts
+1 to Hornady SST 2.75" Sabots. I shoot them out of my rifled 11-87, and they transfer energy very well. Last year I found my round nicely mushroomed in the right lung of a deer, after it went through a rib, and the left lung. The buck ran about 25 yards and collapsed coughing for air.

My old man runs sluggers through his smooth bore 870.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I like the 2-3/4" Lightfield Hybrids. They're a HEAVY load that pack a punch. Never had a deer go more than 20 yds with one. A note with the front sight, once you get it set where you want it (ideally toward the middle of the range), super glue the crap out of it. Mine got knocked once and I didn't realize it, so I was shooting WAY off.

Also of note, I tried shooting 3" Lightfields...got 3 shots off while sighting in before I couldn't move my arm. Decided there was no need for 3" slugs, and haven't looked back.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
50 year old double 00 buckshot in paper shells. I do make a point to clean off the green corrosion off the brass base. Still goes boom just fine!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Also, make sure you don't jump straight to 3" and overlook the 2 3/4 shells. I have a short, rifled barrel, and the 3" shells group horrible (plus they have a much stiffer recoil). The accuracy with the 2 3/4 shells is way better, and they're more pleasant to shoot.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the input so far.

i hunted with 3" shells ten+ years ago when i was in much better physical shape. I am going back to the range with 2 3/4 from here on. Just have to use a solid rest and I think i will get this thing dialed in.

my barrell is fully rifled so i am trying to stick with some sought of sabot. i took three deer using the copper solids and was amazed at their performance. thats what i intend to try first next time out.

·
Banned
478 Posts
I used to like Remington's Core lokt sabots, but I ended up liking the Horandy's better. The Remingtons were just fine though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts