New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering models I saw were the rock river lar-47, the sig 516r, sig 556r or any others do the perform like an ak if they ban aks will I have a better chance with something that doesn't say ak47? What are your opinions

· Registered
258 Posts
I don't know what we think of them, But I love my ar-15 with 7.62x39 upper. I haven't heard anything good or bad about the LAR-47 but it looks like a great option, and if you act now before they restrict everything, you can get preban ak mags for it.

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Just wondering models I saw were the rock river lar-47, the sig 516r, sig 556r or any others do the perform like an ak if they ban aks will I have a better chance with something that doesn't say ak47? What are your opinions
Two things I know about this rifle. One is you can correctly mount a scope to it unlike an AK47 and two it will be more accurate than an AK47. What it will not be is more durable than an AK47. I think it is an excellent platform and if I was into that caliber, I would buy that before I would buy an AK47.

James

· Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,326 Posts
I'd love to get one of the RRA rifles but they may be banned before they're even released. RRA lead time is pretty ridiculous and so is their price point so I guess we'll see.

· Registered
133 Posts
unfortunately not, they are available but the pre bans are the hard ones to get, someone had one on gunbroker ?? for $60
Yea they need frankenmags (an AK-style mag pin-welded to a straight mag that fits into an AR 5.56/.223 reciever). Hard to find and unfortunately due to the taper of 7.62 cases, sometimes have a bit of trouble feeding the rough steel-cased stuff like Tula. Laquered and brass cases work fine though.

Another issue with shooting the cheap soviet stuff are the recessed/hard primers. I bought an MGI enhanced-reliability bolt and still had some misfires. I've heard of people shaving an ever-so-slight amount off of either the back-end of the bolt or the impact-surface of the firing pin to achieve just a slightly deeper strike. You'd want to have two bolt setups though (one with a deeper pin strike for soviet ammo and one with a factory action for american ammo) -- you wouldn't want to puncture the american-made expensive brass stuff.

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
unfortunately not, they are available but the pre bans are the hard ones to get, someone had one on gunbroker ?? for $60
ok i did not realize until i looked at the specs it says ak like mags.....but i just looked at the lar 47 not out yet but if we can get it its saying it accepts ak style mags.......to me pre ban mags arent the selling point performance and reliability is what i want if all i can have is a 10 round but the gun performs great thats fine so do i just buy an upper or do i buy the 516r or the lar 47 or if there others that everyone likes please add

· Registered
258 Posts
ok i did not realize until i looked at the specs it says ak like mags.....but i just looked at the lar 47 not out yet but if we can get it its saying it accepts ak style mags.......to me pre ban mags arent the selling point performance and reliability is what i want if all i can have is a 10 round but the gun performs great thats fine so do i just buy an upper or do i buy the 516r or the lar 47 or if there others that everyone likes please add
I'm not sure if I follow completely but I think you're asking now if you can just buy an7.62x39 upper for your .223 lower. The answer is yes, kinda.... you need the 7.62x39 upper, and bolt, you can use the .223 bolt carrier, and you will need to get 7.62x39 ar mags. You may have quite a hard time getting a 7.62x39 upper right now with all of the purchasing frenzy, but my opinion is that it is a great option, I absolutely love mine.

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I feel like that's to much to change back and forth and that's double use on the same lower. I like the rock rivers look but it looks like a DI system will it work yea will it be dirty probly but is it made well so many thoughts

· Registered
211 Posts
I love mine. The only down side is not being able to find prebans (as stated earlier). Accurate, plenty of stopping power for hunting for most game, and ammo is cheap enough that a good day at the range doesn't set me back all that much.

Imo. Buy one.

· Registered
258 Posts
I love mine. The only down side is not being able to find prebans (as stated earlier). Accurate, plenty of stopping power for hunting for most game, and ammo is cheap enough that a good day at the range doesn't set me back all that much.

Imo. Buy one.
I went to an indoor range last week and the guy wouldn't let me bring in the 500 rounds of bear ammo, because he claims they are steel core on account of a magnet sticks to the bullet. I didn't get into the fact that it is not steel core and just a bi metal jacket that attracts the magnet, instead apologized for wasting his time and walked out. So cheap ammo yes, but I am having trouble finding cheap ammo that I can shoot indoors hah.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.