New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just signed up for a hunters education course in April, I hear it's 3 4 hour classes. To any anyone that took it... What do they cover? 10 hours seems to be a lot , is there a written exam or something? Just curious.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hey all, I just signed up for a hunters education course in April, I hear it's 3 4 hour classes. To any anyone that took it... What do they cover? 10 hours seems to be a lot , is there a written exam or something? Just curious.
Lots is covered. SAFETY , Shot placement, Tracking, Licencing , fees, written exam etc. Dont Sweat it though , Prety easy to pass. take good notes. good luck

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Also... Live fire, hand on safety practice, and how to field dress a deer.

The course is geared to young hunters, you'll ace the test.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It is basically set up for someone who has never hunted or fired a gun.

Well worth it though, pay attention, and teach others what you learned. There are enough unsafe hunters in the woods as it is, don't become one.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I took mine in Indiana.. we didnt shoot any guns in it but we did things like handing a gun back and forth to eachother the "correct way"

Like id safety check the gun hand it to the person without pointing at them then they would safety check it and we repeated that for like 10 miniutes..

They also covered how to cross things like fences with a gun safely, treestand safety, etc

One part I wont forget is the guy had a break action 12 gauge he stuck a .410 shell in then a 12gauge shell and asked "who wants to shoot this gun?" I didnt see him load two shells into the thing and jumped up raising my hand lol

I took the test with my dad (even though he had already taken it many years before hand) because I was like 12... he got the highest score on the test in the class and I got the second highest with just 1 point below him

1 - 6 of 6 Posts