New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased 5 round magazines a month ago, with no problem .
Today i wanted to buy 5 more 5 round magazines and the store said there policy doesn't allow the sale and delivery into NYC.
What is the law or regulations pertaining to mail orders?
I thought only the actual gun and ammo was prohibited for mail order sales.
Any information?
thanks

· Registered
214 Posts
There is no state or city law that prohibits mail order of compliant handgun or long gun magazines and ammo (for those registered guns) but most retailers choose to avoid the hassle of having to deal with the city. I do know that there is a city ordinance that prohibits possession of ammunition calibers for guns that are not registered in your handgun and/or rifle/ shotgun permits, but other than that the challenge for city folks is finding an online retailer that will mail those accessories to the 5 boroughs.

· Registered
214 Posts
The City has a magazine possession law in the Admin Code
That is true, it is a mideameanor to posses a magazine for a gun that you do not own/have registered on your city permits, a felony if it can hold more than 10 rounds which is for the whole state due to the unsafe act unless you have an exception FUAC
Besides active LEO I don't think there are any exceptions in NYC for long guns and the FIVE round limit.

· Registered
245 Posts
That is true, it is a mideameanor to posses a magazine for a gun that you do not own/have registered on your city permits, a felony if it can hold more than 10 rounds which is for the whole state due to the unsafe act unless you have an exception FUAC
Besides active LEO I don't think there are any exceptions in NYC for long guns and the FIVE round limit.
Wait so you need a permit to own ammo now in NYC. So if someone has 100 rounds of 22lr but owns no guns, they are criminals in the eyes of that city?

· Registered
769 Posts
Wait so you need a permit to own ammo now in NYC. So if someone has 100 rounds of 22lr but owns no guns, they are criminals in the eyes of that city?
To be in possession of pistol caliber ammo yes you need a pistol permit of that caliber in NY City

Administrative Code Section 10-131(i)(3) it is unlawful for any person not authorized to possesses a pistol or revolver within the city of New York to possesses pistol or revolver ammunition

Administrative Code Section 10-131(i)(4) it is unlawful for any person to authorized to possess a pistol or revolver of a particular caliber within the city of New York to possess pistol or revolver ammunition of a different caliber. Both of these Administrative Code violations are punishable as misdemeanors

· Registered
245 Posts
To be in possession of pistol caliber ammo yes you need a pistol permit of that caliber in NY City

Administrative Code Section 10-131(i)(3) it is unlawful for any person not authorized to possesses a pistol or revolver within the city of New York to possesses pistol or revolver ammunition

Administrative Code Section 10-131(i)(4) it is unlawful for any person to authorized to possess a pistol or revolver of a particular caliber within the city of New York to possess pistol or revolver ammunition of a different caliber. Both of these Administrative Code violations are punishable as misdemeanors
Let me guess, this is yet another rule that exists within NYC but absolutely no where else in the state.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.