New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want a mixed answer of everyone's thoughts what would you have in the house for a shtf incident

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
7.62x39, 12 gauge, .22LR, 5.56and .308, pretty much same as above, just added 7.62x39s.

If you had a reliable .410 that had very few moving parts (like a single shot break barrel or something) putting that away would be a good idea too.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Depends on what you have... As stated above those arethe most popular. I would say 1-10 would be ( in no specific order):

1. 7.62x39
2. 223
3. 12 gauge
4 .308
5 .22 LR
6. 30/06
7. 50 BMG
8. 9mm
9. .40 S+W
10. .45 ACP

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
9mm and .45 I forgot about, I was thinking all rifle and shotgun calibers.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
As much as I can of whatever I can afford...If I dont have the gun for the caliber, some of my neighbors will be willing to trade for food, gas, labor ect. I stick with main calibers though. 12g, 20g, .45acp, 9mm, .22LR, .40SW, .223/.556

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
definitely .25 acp, 28 gauge, .416 rigby, and .300 blackness ghost-fart "hillary clinton would get an erection if this AR round intended for a sound suppressor was banned" stoner.

duhhhhh :cool:

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
If it was something where I would have to be on the move alot outside of my home then a .22 for weight and ability to carry a lot more ammo with me. Plus probably my 9mm pistol as backup because rounds weigh less then 45.

If it were purely to stay in ones home then 12 gauge shotgun, 5.56, 7.62, well pretty much as many firearms and ammo as possible lol.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
You guys are missing the bigger picture:
what would you have in the house for a shtf incident
'What would'?

The correct question is 'what do' and the appropriate response is 'nunya' or 'I have no idea what you are talking about' ;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
target loads :) (26$ for 100) and a couple boxes of buck

·
Registered
805 Posts
I personally perfer Neutron Blaster II's, but those are Sci-Fi based (from the game MMO EVE Online, and do not exist... yet! :D

For the reality I prefer the good ole' mix of Rifle, Shotgun, and Pistol. Covers the Long, Intermediate, and Close ranges nicely.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Any one that you have practiced with is fine for defense. For putting food on the table I recommend the 12 gauge and a decent centerfire rifle. If you are planning for mad max multi generation break down - just get all you can.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Depends on what you have... As stated above those arethe most popular. I would say 1-10 would be ( in no specific order):

1. 7.62x39
2. 223
3. 12 gauge
4 .308
5 .22 LR
6. 30/06
7. 50 BMG
8. 9mm
9. .40 S+W
10. .45 ACP
I'd argue the .40 s&w being on the list. It's actually not that common compared to some other calibers. I'd say .38 spl would be a better choice. or .357/.44 mag

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
i'm glad someone raised this point. as far as handguns go, no one previously stated a revolver-specific cartridge. yes, i'm well aware that .22lr is a common kit gun caliber, and some models are made in semiauto chamberings such as .45 acp, 9mm, etc, but where's the .38 spl, .357 mag, and .44 mag/spl? the practicality of the magnums is significant because one can also shoot .38 and the other the lighter .44 load...not to mention the fact that those who only opt for bottom-feeding pistols will be SOL in a SHTF scenario if a spring or other component takes a turn for the worse. yes, wheelguns have the potential to have mechanical issues as well (timing, locking up, not taking out multiple zombies as quickly), but overall they are a sound investment. i'm accordingly stocked!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Gas grill igniter, gasoline, liquid soap and one of those pump up insecticide sprayers and you're off to the races with one of them :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts