New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am assuming its some sort of bird. Closet noise I can find to it though is a wolf lol. But we all know there are no wolves in NYS. Any help would be appreciated. The noise I am referring to is the one that starts low pitch then high then low. It happens twice in the first 20 seconds or so. Thanks.
100_4694 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not that one. I knew that was a loon. The one I am talking about is 6 seconds in. Or because the timing is retarded on flikr it is as 1:25 (beginning) then again at 1:18. Not the loon monkeys lol.

·
Registered
687 Posts
All I heard on there was Loon

·
Registered
734 Posts
Well, theres one sound they make that is that up and down type, then they do another that almost sounds like a howl. You have to crank the volume up to hear the howl type one on his video.

·
Registered
687 Posts
USMC, How close are you to water when you recorded this?

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks for the video above lol. I thought it was a loon but all the audio I could find was of the monkey type calls.

I was about 20 to 30 feet. On the island about 60 feet from shore where I was had a loon nest (?) where it had 2 babies last year.

·
Registered
687 Posts
That sound does apply some pucker factor the first time you hear it at night...lol

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I RESENT THAT!! MY WIFE IS NOT A LOON!! That is the noise that she makes when......when.....well......when we.....nevermind!!!!

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The weird thing is to my left was the lake and to my right was a hill that is all woods. I heard the wolf like loon call coming from both sides lol so I didnt think it was a loon since there was no water from the area the second one was lol. I just spent the night out in my hammock to make sure what I planned on using was warm enough for when I go do an overnight and hike up haystack in august.

Yes there is nothing like knowing what is making a noise at night to ease the mind lol.

·
Registered
687 Posts
On the bright side it doesn't have teeth...lol. Now Big foot onthe other hand is a much lower tone

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those loons can be crazy though lol! Its ok though I have solved the ago old issue with hearing noises in the woods at night. Lets be honest hearing unfamiliar noises can be stressful so I am going to modify this for firearms and the only prolonged noise I will hear is that of gun fire!

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
On the bright side it doesn't have teeth...lol. Now Big foot onthe other hand is a much lower tone
That was me .... I figured if a bear could sh** in the woods, so could I! Lesson learned ... do NOT eat a block of Mozzarella cheese in one day. I know it's cheaper than string cheese, but please .. do not do it!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TRUST ME ON THIS!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts