New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was shooting my Glock 19 today and no matter what I try to correct my shots are always a little left, mostly high or even sometimes a little low. What might I be doing wrong. Im am by no means a shooting expert. I am relativrly new to pistols but not shooting. i do tend to center more when leaning up on something.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
what distance was this? Try having looser fireing hand and use more pressure with support hand on your grip. Also pull the trigger ridiculously slow by adding tiny bits of extra pressure until the gun fires (it could take 10 seconds for it to fire) then you should be hitting right where you want to be.
I am guessing your issue is with trigger control so you can test it putting a coin on front site post and dry fire to see if coin stays on sight or falls off.

Also you might be anticipating. If you have some snap caps and a hat bring them to the range next time you go. put 8 rounds and 2 snap caps (assuming magazine holds 10 rounds) in your hat, Close your eyes and mix them up in hat and load magazine without looking so you dont know where in the magazine the snap caps are. Then when you put magazine in pistol and shoot, your pistol shouldn't move when you get to the snap caps.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what distance was this? Try having looser fireing hand and use more pressure with support hand on your grip. Also pull the trigger ridiculously slow by adding tiny bits of extra pressure until the gun fires (it could take 10 seconds for it to fire) then you should be hitting right where you want to be.
I am guessing your issue is with trigger control so you can test it putting a coin on front site post and dry fire to see if coin stays on sight or falls off.

Also you might be anticipating. If you have some snap caps and a hat bring them to the range next time you go. put 8 rounds and 2 snap caps (assuming magazine holds 10 rounds) in your hat, Close your eyes and mix them up in hat and load magazine without looking so you dont know where in the magazine the snap caps are. Then when you put magazine in pistol and shoot, your pistol shouldn't move when you get to the snap caps.
Right hand at about 15 yards

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are some ways I can better my trigger control and shot/recoil anticipation?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What part of your finger is on the trigger?
the underside of my fingernail. I may also be extending my arms out further from my body then I should.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
to practice trigger control and anticipating you can dry fire with coin on front post (make sure coin does not fall off when trigger is pulled) and put snap caps in mags at random spots so you have to focus on not anticipating. Another thing you can do for anticipating at home with another person is this (I will try to explain it right lol).

With no pistol involved hold your hands out like your gripping an imaginary pistol at the range. Now have some stand in front of you and with a open hand have them smack (not rediculously hard lol) your your knuckle area over and over. This simulates recoil. At random times have them instead of hitting your knuckles swing under your hands when you dont know. If you have a anticipation problem your hands will go down slightly. The point of this drill is to get you away from anticipating the hit (recoil) and ignore it thereby getting rid of the anticipatory response.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts