New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to get an ak47 platform but not sure what to get sks wsar or what let me know what you guys like It doesn't have to be crazy just something to send bullets........

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
MAK-90 or better, no question about it on a budget. Wasr, Zastava, Tantal are now around $600 or more. Spend an extra $100 or so and you get the cats ass, you wont look back.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
I've got Chinese , and Romanians. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a wasr. Newer production ones are fine. But yes snap up a mak 90 if you find one at a fair price. Lately they've been going up, like everything else unfortunately

·
Registered
3 Posts
A widowed neighbor mentioned to my wife that she has some sort of AK-47 that beloged to her husband, and she may want to sell it. What should I look for ??? I have no idea what these are worth. What are the terms ( WASR & SKS) . Any info would be great.. Maybe some of you may be interested.. Thanks for the read....

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
SKS is not an AK, Romanian AK's suck equine male genitalia.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
SKS is not an AK, Romanian AK's suck equine male genitalia.
Correction: Romanian WASR 10s suck, I have a Romanian SAR-1 and have no issues with it, everything is straight and fits tight and I have hit whatever I was shooting at with it since I got it, so it isn't terribly inaccurate, I think there is a WUB-10 or something Romanian AK variant too, which from my understanding is decent, it isn't really fair to group all Romanian AKs into WASR category, just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
"Correction: Romanian WASR 10s suck, I have a Romanian SAR-1 and have no issues with it"
No those suck too. You not having a problem with yours is not an indicator of anything. This breaks down to basic metallurgy. Romanian steel is bovine fecal matter.
Sorry I take that back, it is steel mixed with bovine fecal matter.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
If you consider a Saiga and AK (I do) get one of those.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
"Correction: Romanian WASR 10s suck, I have a Romanian SAR-1 and have no issues with it"
No those suck too. You not having a problem with yours is not an indicator of anything. This breaks down to basic metallurgy. Romanian steel is bovine fecal matter.
Sorry I take that back, it is steel mixed with bovine fecal matter.
Lol ok if you feel that way, I'm not the only one that has one, has had one, or owns one and I haven't heard a terrible amount of complaints, we are talking a budget AK here don't forget, not everyone can get an arsenal right off the bat.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have one too, this isn't about fit and finish. There are fundamental flaws in the metallurgy.
I do not "feel this way", I know it.
I have about 100k worth of equipment for analyzing metals. Not my opinion, not something my brother from my other mother told me. Just facts.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I have one too, this isn't about fit and finish. There are fundamental flaws in the metallurgy.
I do not "feel this way", I know it.
I have about 100k worth of equipment for analyzing metals. Not my opinion, not something my brother from my other mother told me. Just facts.
Well for a budget AK though it isn't bad, owning one yourself you know it goes bang every time and it isn't too bad for accuracy.

So in all seriousness though, how weak is the metal? Or brittle. Owning one myself I'd like to know of its flaws, it could perhaps clue me into future problems I may experience.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Romanian AKs and their metal suck?

I cant tell you how many tens of thousands of rounds are through the post sample RPK and WASRs ive shot....

none have blown up, cracked apart, or anything of the like. The only thing they are guilty of , is working.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Romanian AKs and their metal suck?

I cant tell you how many tens of thousands of rounds are through the post sample RPK and WASRs ive shot....

none have blown up, cracked apart, or anything of the like. The only thing they are guilty of , is working.
I think he just means that the steel other AKs are made out of are better, more pure and more refined, not that WASRs and SAR-1s are going to crack in half while they are firing otherwise he wouldn't own a Rommy AK himself out of safety I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Well for a budget AK though it isn't bad, owning one yourself you know it goes bang every time and it isn't too bad for accuracy.

So in all seriousness though, how weak is the metal? Or brittle. Owning one myself I'd like to know of its flaws, it could perhaps clue me into future problems I may experience.
My went bang all the time too never a problem. The barrel steel is a ****ty mix with spotty treatment, work enough rounds through them they expand too much and start spitting. The barrel retaining pin? that goes throuhg the barrel and the trunnion also has a tendency to crack and fall out undre stress of heat and expansion.
Really spotty metallurgy and heat treatment in that area too.

Maybe they got their head out of their ass but I doubt it, they had this problem back in the 80's too. Family friend came across bunch of them in Afghanistan and bacially said the same thing. He was serving the the soviet issued arms, he said day and night difference.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
My went bang all the time too never a problem. The barrel steel is a ****ty mix with spotty treatment, work enough rounds through them they expand too much and start spitting. The barrel retaining pin? that goes throuhg the barrel and the trunnion also has a tendency to crack and fall out undre stress of heat and expansion.
Really spotty metallurgy and heat treatment in that area too.

Maybe they got their head out of their ass but I doubt it, they had this problem back in the 80's too. Family friend came across bunch of them in Afghanistan and bacially said the same thing. He was serving the the soviet issued arms, he said day and night difference.
Mine was made in 2001, when I got it, it still had bluing on the firing pin, so hopefully it'll be awhile before anything like that happens to mine (if it does) are those pins and such easily replaceable? Or is it a "time for a new AK" type of repair?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Mine was made in 2001, when I got it, it still had bluing on the firing pin, so hopefully it'll be awhile before anything like that happens to mine (if it does) are those pins and such easily replaceable? Or is it a "time for a new AK" type of repair?
Pretty sure that the barrel retaining pin can be replaced. Oddly mine was a 2001 also.
PM me your serrial number maybe they are close?

Edit: Also most of this is rapid heating associated with FA pretty sure that you dont have to worry about that with SA gun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Buy a SAiga. Whether converted or not the quality of the steel is hard to match. Might spend a bit more but will last 3 lifetimes.
The VEPR are also very good steel. 1.5mm receivers but IMO they are overpriced right now.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts