New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so all your friends and neighbors have turned into zombies, you have bugged out of the city and have made it to a safe zone town (Although the guy running the place who everyone calls "The Governor" worries you a little bit..... )

I've always wondered what you could use for shaving cream in a post apocalyptic world (assuming you could never buy any again) A good razor with a 20 pack of blades would last you a long time. But what could you use for shaving cream?

I would think it would have to be something that could be stored in a condensed form. Cans of shaving cream don't last (I found one in a weekend bag that was a few years old once and it and had turned into goo)

Not the most exciting prepper question I know. But if you did want to shave every day... it would be an issue.

· Registered
3,865 Posts
Those shower gel soaps work fine if you have less then 3 days growth.

· Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,326 Posts
Use the space that the shaving cream would've taken up to carry more TP. Everyone stores food and bullets but forgets the poo paper.

· Registered
3,223 Posts
Use the space that the shaving cream would've taken up to carry more TP. Everyone stores food and bullets but forgets the poo paper.
Agreed. I do see the OPs larger picture of looking into non essential items some may want to carry BUT shaving cream would not be one of them. Antibacterial soap is something I bring with me in my packs which can be used for shaving as well as food / surface prep and personal hygiene.

· Registered
5,239 Posts
Who shaves in a post apocalyptic world? -10 man points. You should be ashamed. ;)

Soap, man. You would use soap.
i am with you about shaving and the apocalyptic world
, but Mr Shave cream will be bagging all the Feral Women!

· Registered
5,239 Posts
try this (world traveler here)
take any bar of soap put it in hot water splash hot water on face, then rub bar on face...
thick foamy soap great for a shave

· Registered
2,197 Posts
Yeah, if you are really concerned, just pack a badger hair brush. I use soap every day to shave, just like people have for a long, long time. Well, OK, not every day. Once a week or so. I go for the scruffy, manly look. :p

Seriously though, you'll probably not be too worried about shaving or showering all the time.

· Registered
2,197 Posts
That's what I was thinking about. I've seen them in old movies but didn't know what they were called or what kind of soap they used.

-10 points? -100,000 points?

You guys are not also prepping for the Restoration after the Apocalypse too ????? ;)
They have special soap you can buy to use with them, which is what I have. (And I meant Badger, it was busy in my store when I typed that, lol.)

Amazon.com: Tweezerman Men's Shaving Brush: Health & Personal Care

Amazon.com: Proraso Shaving Soap, Eucalyptus & Menthol, 5.2 oz (150 ml), New Formulation: Beauty

You can also just use regular soap, although it's not as good it gets the job done.

· Registered
367 Posts
That's what I was thinking about. I've seen them in old movies but didn't know what they were called or what kind of soap they used.
Badger & Blade - Home

Just get a brush and any old mug. Heck you could even use a small paint brush from Ace Hardware.
Any soap will work, you can even make your own soap from tallow and lye leeched from wood ashes. I have some shaving soap I bought in a close out from P&C almost 15 years ago for .25 a bar. It lasts forever- really though any soap will work.

For razors get one of these and it will last you for decades:
Rolls Razor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or you could dig through your dad's or granddad's stuff and find his old Gillette and stock up on a few of these:
Amazon.com: Derby Extra Double Razor Blades, 200 Count: Health & Personal Care

· Registered
1,186 Posts
I just need some cheap razors to keep my mutton chops trimmed. I thought about a nice safety razor but those are a bit expensive.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.