New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of the welcome posts got me thinking how great NY would be without the 5 boroughs. What do we have 70 something counties, mountains, valleys, farm land. Some of the nicest places in the world. Yet all the decisions are made based upon the five boroughs, LI and possibly Westchester and Rockland (let's of course not forget the orphan Albany). Hypothetically, how great would NYS be if the chickens left the roost and let 'ol mother hen fend for herself? One can still dream, right?

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
Yeah it's a state run by libs, which here in WNY represent about 2% of the people I know.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Well, I've always thought we should just turn the 5 boroughs over to New Jersey. No offense to those that live in 5 boroughs. :cool:

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I want to run for Governor. The first thing to go would be NYC!! It's a drain on the economics of the state and ... it's smells alot like New Jersey!! Next thing would be the AWB being destroyed!!! I'd sell the Governors mansion and the money could go to the deficit. I wouldn't live in it anyways. I'd be content in a Gubernatorial trailer with a place to put in a shooting range!! Any law abiding citizen would be allowed to use it. I would also open state run shooting ranges where the membership fees would go towards the deficit. I would also make those shooting ranges offer hunter safety courses as well as pistol training and training for those with all types of guns FREE of charge on days where the classes were taught so that those new to shooting could receive the training without having to pay the yearly fees. I would knock down the cost of hunting licenses and fishing would be FREE unless it's a land locked lake where it's stocked in which case, a minimal fee would be charged to raise the money to keep the hatcheries open to restock these lakes/ponds. I would also push for no emission inspections!!! Safety inspection only. Being a Demoncrat would be illegal. All political parties would be abolished and no longer allowed in this state. The state would be run by regular people whom have experience in say book keeping for the accounts receivables and payables. I would offer major corporations a GREAT deal to come here and create jobs!!! (As long as they have a shooting range installed for employees to use during their lunch breaks .... ok wishful thinking!!) I would make it easier for people to start their own businesses buy eliminating alot of red tape crap. I would allow those whom have obtained a pistol permit to carry everywhere as long as you are law abiding!! I'd be willing to bet the crime rate goes down in some areas!! I would promote buying products made/grown and originated in NY. There's no reason we can't be self sufficient. I would throw out any politician that went against the basics of the Constitution!! Facebook and any other social community based websites would be banned from use on NYS employees computers. (NYFirearms will be an allowed site) I'd sell the limos. the planes and any other unnecessary form of transportation for politicians!! They can use the bus or buy a car and drive themselves!!! I would only accept enough pay to afford to live!! I don't need a bazillion dollars to run a state. $30,000 per year should be MORE than enough and anything I didn't need would be returned to the State. I'd ban the state senate from voting themselves raises and I'd also require them to take a pay cut to keep their positions. To alleviate the stress prisons are placing on the state finances, the death penalty would be in place. You kill another in cold blood, you get the same!! Anything else I'm forgetting??

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Chickenshoot, I see you're a dreamer too, lol.
Ahhhhh .... but I've also been one to follow my dreams!!! :) I should probably start my campaign collection huh?? Let's see ... they usually do the $1500 per plate kind of thing so, seeing as I'm representing the majority of the people in NYS, I'll have a $3 per plate cook out serving hot dogs and Hamburgs and a few salads. (Children under 16 eat for free because at 16 you should have a job!!)

·
Registered
365 Posts
It would cost us in upstate. The money flow is from downstate to upstate, not the other way around. That doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t be worth the price. There are also some in the NYC metro statisical area that have thought it should be its own state. Maybe youse guys should get together and come up with a plan.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Considering the north country has the highest per capita welfare rate, and NYC is where the tax money comes from (Wall Street), we would be in bad shape without NYC. Having the politicians from there is a terrible side effect :)

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Agree (though hesitantly) with what Jeff stated. Cutting off NYC would be like cutting off the hand that feeds. NYC is an enormous revenue generator for the rest of the State. The problem is that NYC has their own set of rules and laws (especially concerning 2A), most of which go against the political ideals of the majority living West of Albany.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a dream fellas. I earn my bread and butter in NYC but do my best to get as far away as possible when I don't have to be there. Most of my friends are north of the Albany area and don't understand why I refuse to join them for a night out in Manhattan or to see a ball game in Queens. I tell them to try doing the 4 hour round trip to work everyday and they begin to see my point. Quality of life is hands down better (IMO) the further you get away from NYC.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Just a dream fellas. I earn my bread and butter in NYC but do my best to get as far away as possible when I don't have to be there. Most of my friends are north of the Albany area and don't understand why I refuse to join them for a night out in Manhattan or to see a ball game in Queens. I tell them to try doing the 4 hour round trip to work everyday and they begin to see my point. Quality of life is hands down better (IMO) the further you get away from NYC.
GO METS

that being said upstate needs new york city financialy unfortunately we get stuck with their laws from time to time
in nyc i understand why people have to register even long arm.... way too many agitated people paying 3000 a month rent on a 2 bedroom apt

·
Registered
334 Posts
Considering the north country has the highest per capita welfare rate, and NYC is where the tax money comes from (Wall Street), we would be in bad shape without NYC. Having the politicians from there is a terrible side effect :)
Abolish welfare in the new state of "UpstateNY"...problem solved!

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
I think you're right, things would be better, but that won't happen. The only choices you have are to stay and deal with living in Soviet Russia or move. Take your pick!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Abolish welfare in the new state of "UpstateNY"...problem solved!
I don't know about western NY, but up here in the North Country most of the money coming in is public money. It's not just SSI, it's also Corrections, both SUNY & aid to local schools, Medicaid, aid to the county's highway depts, etc.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Part of the problem is that upstate is stuck with liberal NYC welfare policies, hence the expense. If we didn't have NYC, we wouldn't have their style of welfare to pay for, so we wouldn't need NYC money to pay for it. We also wouldn't have their ridiculous tax policies, which would encourage economic growth, which would create jobs, which would reduce the welfare ranks.

Something else to consider is that the welfare system is set up to draw people away from NYC - you live better on welfare in upstate than you do downstate. Over a period of years, that has a way of skewing statistics.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts