New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone take the safety/permit course at Blueline Tactical in Elmsford? It's only 4.5hrs but seems to focus on filling out the application not so much on training. I assume it satisfies the Pre-permit training requirement. Is $175 about average?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's my concern. Plus it's really about helping you fill out the permit, which I don't need. He said it was the course required for the dd214 (I think) but it doesn't sound right

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took this course...pretty weak in my opinion. They don't really walk you through the application all that much - although in their defense - they do offer that if you need any help to call them back later.

The course certificate you get is just for Westchester County. You need to go back later to complete the rest of it for you to get the NRA certificate Not sure if they charge you again - it wasn't very clear in the class that you could come back and finish that part.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The way it should work, is that you get the NRA First Steps certificate, this meets the requirement for Westchester County. Then after you get your permit, you go back and shoot at the range with them and they "upgrade" your certificate to NRA Basic Pistol. $175-200 is the going rate (that's what I charge) but the 200 is usually for Basic and includes the range & ammo. Coyne Park does it the same way, but from what Chris told me down there - no one ever goes back to upgrade to Basic Pistol. I offer guys the upgrade to Basic Pistol, so that you can apply for FL or CT, obviously I ask that it be done within a reasonable time frame of getting their permit, or we just do it that way off the bat and go shooting at a range in CT for the live-fire requirement.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If you want to do the course in one 8 hour block you can take it at one of the CT ranges close by (Hiller & Shooters). AFAIK they are running courses every Saturday and maybe even during the week.

Ramapo in Ridgefield also has classes IIRC, but they are broken up in two nights. edit: here it is

1 - 8 of 8 Posts