New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that westchester county is in the process of changing all hunting and target licenses to sportsmans licenses. A little more freedom when hiking and in the woods. Can anybody can confirm this.?

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
hmm, are you sure that the sportsman restriction includes hiking, etc..? i am going to call the pistol bureau today and ask, i suggest you do the same. and perhaps we can get many westchester residents to call and ask.

i have called several times in the past to see about getting hiking, camping, and fishing added as restrictions but was told they do not issue those restrictions. i hope what your saying is true.

here is their number

(914)995-3088

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
ok, the deal is this. one judge in particular is signing off on a "sportsman" restriction which includes all the outdoor activities. but its only one judge, so the only thing to do is to fill out an amendment form, $3, and a letter (attached) stating you would like the sportsman restriction and for what purposes. address the letter to judge murphy. ill be doing this today.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Mailed my "request" today (its insane we have to beg for permission to exercise a Constitutional right). My stamp was an American flag with the word "justice" on it. I chose that stamp for a reason (for whatever that's worth). Here's to hoping my request goes to judge murphy, and it gets approved. I read a thread on a forum years ago about someone getting hiking, camping, fishing added to their restrictions. Read post #15 in this thread.

http://**********.net/forum/showthread.php?2730-Full-carry-in-westchester/page2

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thecelt,

I would like to follow suit. Recently, I applied for an unrestricted and was denied. I think applying for a sportsman upgrade from
Target, Hunting would be a welcome change. So you say an amendment form, $3.00 and a letter. Would it be too much to ask for
some guidance as to what you think I should write?
I have my Westchester County permit over 5 years now. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and good luck with your ammendment,

Dan

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
The more the merrier dan.. pm me your email address and I can send you my letter form, a pre filled out amendment form that i filled out but you have to enter your own info; and ill put together a quick draft of what I see as a good way to phrase it.. but basically a letter stating that you are an outdoorsman that spends a lot of time hiking, camping and fishing (along with target shooting and hunting). And it will be addressed to judge j. Emmet murphy. We can only hope that whoever opens the envelope actually puts it on his desk when they see a letter addressed to him, but they have no obligation to do so and may give it to the most anti gun judge out of spite (hopefully not). But the more of us that do this the louder message it sends.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
to those who sent me your email addresses i sent you the amendment form along with a form letter. you will have to write your own explanation since there were several people asking for this info and it wouldnt look good if we all had the same thing written (at least imo).

but basicaly i wrote:

i requested the sportsman change for the sake of hiking and camping upstate ny where many wild animals such as bears, coyotes, and mountain lions have been spotted. i stated that i spend all this time outdoors doing family activities with my wife and children and I want to be able to protect them should an unfortunate situation arise. i included that i intend to carry my firearm for all lawful purposes, and that i want to be in strict compliance with my administrative restrictions and that a change to sportsman would allow me the freedom to enjoy the many outdoor activities i once enjoyed with my family without fear of attack from a wild animal.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Got my amendment returned because I didn't send an amendment form for full carry with the full carry crossed out by the clerk and sportsman hand written. This needs to be in duplicate and notarized. So I put it together and sent it back today.

Btw, I sent out emails with a form letter and amendment forms; to several people, partially filled out and was surprised not to receive a thank you email.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
not yet, but i am anxiously awaiting. i check the mailbox every freaking day. considering this thursday will be 4 weeks since i "RE submitted" the amendment i would hope to hear soon.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
called today... still "processing"... restriction changes take anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hey celt, in case you haven't seen it, I just received the Westchester County Firearm Owners Association notice of their Annual Meeting which will be held on Wed, 10/23.

It mentions that one of the topics will be "the proposed new Sportsmans Pistol License" and to top it off, Somers Town Supervisor, Mary Beth Murphy, who is running for Westchester County Clerk, will be one of the speakers.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Hey celt, in case you haven't seen it, I just received the Westchester County Firearm Owners Association notice of their Annual Meeting which will be held on Wed, 10/23.

It mentions that one of the topics will be "the proposed new Sportsmans Pistol License" and to top it off, Somers Town Supervisor, Mary Beth Murphy, who is running for Westchester County Clerk, will be one of the speakers.
Hey celt - maybe she can bring your signs to the meeting so you can get them back.:cute:

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Interesting.....

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
btw, i was told on friday that its still in process and to call at the end of the month for an update. this was originally sent in on 8/3. they sent it back to me on on 8/21 telling me i had to fill out the "full carry" form but THEY crossed out full carry and wrote "sportsman" (sounds like this might be a new procedure moving forward) and i mailed it back on 8/22. it sat with the clerk until 9/12 (20 days is pretty lame) before they sent it up to the detectives to do their part. what an insane process to exercise a Constitutional right. it really is draining dealing with this nonsense. if i could only hit the lotto and get the hell out of dodge id be a happy man.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Update... amendment went to the judge on 10/21. We will see how it goes and if they feel I'm worthy to have a handgun on me when hiking in bear country with my family.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Good luck celt. Keep us informed on your progress and any additional details you discover.

Several things I remember Scott (President of the WCFOA) mentioning at the annual meeting on 10/23 regarding the Sportsman's permit:

1) There has been considerable resistance to this new "class" of license by the higher-ups in the Westchester County Police.

2) If all goes well, the Sportsman's category will actually be listed as an option on the permit application rather than a write-in as it is now.

3) The Sportsman's category will includes carrying during the following activities:
- Camping
- Hiking
- Photography
- Fishing

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Good info md. Now I hope they don't remove target/hunting and REPLACE it with sportsman... I hope they add it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've been waiting to file with Westchester County until you finally get a response. Do other counties in NY offer the Sportsman license or is this a Westchester only thing? Good luck Celt, you're my test case.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts