New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, this will be my first time posting but i have gained a ton of knowledge from fellow members. As tge title suggests im filing for my Westchester sportsman license. I currently have nothing and with my interview early next month i want to make sure i have everything covered. first question is my friend and i live together, he currently has his sportsman. I would like to use him as one of my references but am not sure if that is possible considering we share a residence (we are not related by any means). My second concern is in reference to the letter we must write for why we are in need of the license. I had stated that since i terrain hike and overnight camp most weekends i would benifit from a sportsman for the reason of not intimidating other campers with my AR. Can anybody help me out and let me know what they think?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good Morning James3347:

Great question and happy you asked! I did a little digging around and did not see any conflict with roommates being a reference. Please see the passage which addresses this in the Westchester application below:

1. Character references: Applicants must provide a total of four (4) character references.
    Referees must complete and sign form PPB3/PPB3A in the appropriate area, and also must complete and notarize the Character Reference Letter (WCPD-126L). All persons providing a character reference on behalf of an applicant may not be related to the applicant by consanguinity (blood or ancestry) or by marriage (in-law) and must have known the applicant for a sufficient period of time to establish that the applicant is a person of good moral character

With that in mind, I do not see an issue in using your friend so long as you have known him for a good period of time (always good to double check with the Pistol Clerk to ensure they have not updated this rule and just not updated their website). Also, they will likely ask if anyone residing with you is opposed to you having a license. This is where your trusty buddy comes in to save the day because he is a champion on the idea lol.

Further, I would not use the hiking / camping reason you posed above. Especially the line where you do not want to intimidate others with your AR. This could cause alarm for a Judge and give him a bad picture of you. For one, you are not allowed to bring firearms to NY State Parks (even if you camp outside of NY State Parks, the Judge will automatically refer to this rule and assume). We do not want to give the Judge any reason to deny your application. Second, we don't want the Judge picturing you walking around a camping ground with a rifle around kids (no offense of course). We have to keep in mind that Westchester is very reserved when it comes to guns.

Personally, if you are applying for a sportsman/residence (a license to go to the shooting range and keep in your home for personal defense) I would simply state that you wish to advance your hobby to pistols with your roommate/family/friends and you wish to have the pistol for home defense (i.e. exactly what that license is designed for). Stay more heavy on the hobby side.

I hope my thoughts were helpful to you in some way and wish you the best of luck. So you are aware, my firm handles pistol applications, denials, revocations, hearings, suspensions, etc. etc. quite frequently, and with a great track record. We have cases referred to this office all the time from the NRA! If you wish assistance, feel welcome to reach out to me and we will see what we can do!

Best Wishes,

Adam Gonzalez
Director of Admin.
The Law Offices of David Fried, PC
845-671-1883 Ext. 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
What DFJustice said, I wouldn't mention anything about carrying firearms long gun or handgun especially AR related. Stick to going to the range for a reason, I would probably stay away from self defense as well. :agree: What I wrote in my letter was I frequently go to the range, I have a safe for storing my guns/ammo and understand that owning firearms is a responsibility. If you have a safe maybe include a picture of it (closed of course) in your paperwork like I did, can't hurt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts