New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
754 Posts
No info from me, just a question. How long have you been waiting so far?

I'm looking to pick up my second pistol sometime in the coming few weeks and would also like to know what the current wait-time for an amendment is.

Thanks and hope you receive yours soon.

MDF

· Registered
14,520 Posts
I put mine in near the last week of july (i think the 24th) so thats about 5 weeks now going on 6.

· Registered
14,520 Posts
update, i submitted mine on 7/30 to the clerks office, the Pistol Bureau didnt get it until 8/7 (as they had informed me), and I was told that it could take 2-3 more months. I submitted my amendment to remove restrictions. really I was looking to just have hiking, camping, fishing added as restrictions, but they dont offer that directly so I had to go for removal of restrictions. I have read about a couple of Westchester residents getting these added as restrictions by a judge even though they arent official WC restrictions. So the wait continues, although I am expecting a denial in line with westchester county even though in my letter I informed them that I do numerous outdoor activities with my wife and children and have seen many black bear while in these areas. 92% of all black bear attacks are predatory in nature (FYI) by lone boars.

· Registered
27 Posts
My first back in July took 10 days from submission. I submitted a second back in the end of August. Its now been just over two weeks and I called the clerk. I was told that there has been a personnel change and a procedure change. Now all permit amendments go to the chief clerks office and then are distributed to the individual judges. I'm sure this adds to the delay. Does anyone else have amendments pending?

· Registered
14,520 Posts
yep, since 7/30...

· Registered
410 Posts
in my letter I informed them that I do numerous outdoor activities with my wife and children and have seen many black bear while in these areas. 92% of all black bear attacks are predatory in nature (FYI) by lone boars.
This is a little off topic, but if you carry a gun for defense against bear attacks, you should also carry bear spray. It is legal in New York, no need to register or whatever you have to do with sprays made for use against people (it is stronger too). You probably don't want to start shooting your pistol at a tangled mess of bear and person if an attack is in progress. If I had to choose between a pistol and bear spray, I'd take the spray.

· Registered
14,520 Posts
This is a little off topic, but if you carry a gun for defense against bear attacks, you should also carry bear spray. It is legal in New York, no need to register or whatever you have to do with sprays made for use against people (it is stronger too). You probably don't want to start shooting your pistol at a tangled mess of bear and person if an attack is in progress. If I had to choose between a pistol and bear spray, I'd take the spray.
your absolutely right, bear spray is the defense of choice if there is a tangled mess, and should be used as a first line of defense against a bear attack and we do have bear spray. however; given the statistics of black bear attacks if it appears that myself or my family are in imminent danger i will not be using the bear spray as a first line of defense; it will be a +p 44 magnum SWC.

· Registered
27 Posts
Further question on current state of amendments. Has anyone gotten back an amendment to add a pistol that was submitted August 15 or later?

Thanks

· Registered
14,520 Posts
I just mailed in an amendment to add a handgun today so we will see how long it takes.

· Registered
27 Posts
Now at one month for a simple add a pistol amendment. Called the clerks office. While the new staff was very polite and helpful, all she could really tell me is that its been with a Judge since 9/4. I think what is so frustrating about the Westchester system is that there is no consistency in the procedure. If I knew I had to wait a month it would be fine. Not knowing is what makes it a pain.

· Registered
14,520 Posts
Agreed, although the process is crazy regardless. People should be able to get amendments on the spot! Or even bbetter; buy your new handgun, take it home and mail in the amendment with copy of the bill of sale.
Now at one month for a simple add a pistol amendment. Called the clerks office. While the new staff was very polite and helpful, all she could really tell me is that its been with a Judge since 9/4. I think what is so frustrating about the Westchester system is that there is no consistency in the procedure. If I knew I had to wait a month it would be fine. Not knowing is what makes it a pain.

· Registered
27 Posts
Finally got it. One month five days. Off to the range on Saturday.

· Registered
14,520 Posts
I put mine in near the last week of july (i think the 24th) so thats about 5 weeks now going on 6.
got this one returned to me on tuesday of this week. for a grand total of 10 weeks. although this was to update my restriction which is a longer process than adding a handgun.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.