New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long painful process, but it toook 4 months and 6 days to get my approval from when i turned in my paperwork. It was also 4 months from when i called to make my appt, not counting how long it took to put it all together.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Congratulations.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Believe it or not i started my process back in 05, but since it was such a pain and i didnt know 4 westchester residents well enough to get those "required" references i put it on the back burner until 2010 only to find out my completed paperwork was outdated. So i picked up new paperwork, and at the same time i found out that they didnt have to be westchester residents, but they had to be NY residents,and they prefer them(references) to be at least close to Westchester. Knowing that bit of info 7 years ago would have made my process considerably shorter. Cant wait pick up my xd45 tomorrow and start burning through the 1000 rnds i just got.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks and always safety first. I was taught to shoot about 35 years ago, and have kept it up ever since. Ive owned, and own many different rifles and shotguns.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Long painful process, but it toook 4 months and 6 days to get my approval from when i turned in my paperwork. It was also 4 months from when i called to make my appt, not counting how long it took to put it all together.

I assume you were granted a restricted 'sportsmen permit' as Westchester County very rarely issues unrestricted full carry licenses.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I go tomorrow to pick it up and i imagine it will be restricted to target and hunting, but im going to put in a request to also include camping and hiking in the near future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m getting my app next week, the 4 references don’t have to be from Westchester? This would change everything for me, the people I know in Westchester get nervous about the topic.
theCelt, was the permit restricted?

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep target hunting restrctions, i put it in that way since i didnt want to take a chance of being denied. And 1 of my references are from west but the others from L.I. since thats where i know a lot of people through work. But i had to write a letter sating why 3 of my references were not from west, and get it notarized.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
submitted my amendment yesterday for unrestricted, lets see how it goes. fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Does westchester have any time frames before you can request an "upgrade". In Rockland you must have your permit for a year before a request for upgrade can be made.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Does westchester have any time frames before you can request an "upgrade". In Rockland you must have your permit for a year before a request for upgrade can be made.
I would like to know this as well!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
If you are employed as leo then you do not need a pistol permit.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you are employed as leo then you do not need a pistol permit.
True. But they would rather you do have a permit. Also if you fail to qualify at work they can take your firearms. If your house gets broken into and a pistol is stolen you can be in trouble at work.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts