New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my application. I live and work in Westchester in LE and am looking to go for full carry. Some of my co-workers got it, others say get target first and then ask for an amendment later. My reasons for full carry relate to seeing ex-cons on a regular basis just in Westchester and wanting different calibers for target and hiking in bear country. Any thoughts or insight would be helpful. I was told it can weigh on which one of the 8 judges that gets the paperwork.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Unless you are retired LE, your chances of getting an unrestricted permit are slim to none. You are either LE or not. A police dispatcher can say that he works in LE and that won't carry any weight. All depends on what you actually do in LE and which judge gets the paperwork. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that. I have over a decade in Corrections. I know down the road I will get a "good guy" letter when I retire. I have my off-duty privileges too, but with limits. I will guess I will see how it pans out. It's all about connections...

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
if not unrestricted Judge J.Emmet Murphy has apparently been issuing a "sportsman" restriction which supposedly includes hiking, fishing, camping, hunting, target shooting which gives a lot more room to carry while enjoying outdoor activities, etc... if you dont currently have a permit then you have to do the entire permit process which is lengthy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts