New York Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Ive emailed the county clerk, and our county exec (Astorino) with ideas to save time, and effort (which equals tax dollars), but i never even got a response.

I think its time to email again.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Ive emailed the county clerk, and our county exec (Astorino) with ideas to save time, and effort (which equals tax dollars), but i never even got a response.

I think its time to email again.
Our UC Clerk has nothing to do with the licensing process other than to maintain the records. All transactions and aspects of pistol licensing and amendments go directly thru the Sheriff's Office, Pistol Permit Unit.CE Astorino can suggest changes to the WCDPS on his end as to streamline the process; but has NO control over the independently elected county judges (licensing officers) who make the licensing determinations.

Some suggestions: 1) Outsource fingerprinting to a private company who will forward data to WCDPS. 2) Allow applicants to submit the completed packet to WCDPS at anytime when the application is filled out, reference forms collected by applicant , and proof of gun safety class 3) WCDPS submits the completed packet directly to the Court Clerk for assignment upon receipt. 4) Based upon review of the applicant's background as provided in the file--licensing officer MAY require a personal interview OR grant the PL outright. 5) Licensing judge notifies applicant of the issuance or denial of the pistol license and instructs applicant to retrieve the plastic card license.

TheCelt, is it WCDPS or the County Clerk's Office that issues the PL card?

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well I just moved from NYC to Westchester. I just vouchered my guns and need to surrender my NYC license and apply for Westchester. Anything new that I should keep in mind when it comes to which amendments to apply for and the timeline, etc. These character references and sports/hunting amendments seem quite detailed to fill out.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well I just moved from NYC to Westchester. I just vouchered my guns and need to surrender my NYC license and apply for Westchester. Anything new that I should keep in mind when it comes to which amendments to apply for and the timeline, etc. These character references and sports/hunting amendments seem quite detailed to fill out.
My advice would be to apply for a Target restriction first. If you had a permit in NYC, you should have no trouble getting the Target restricted license in Westchester. That will allow you to add back your pistols and take possession of them. Once you have the Target and your pistols back, you can explore and consider amending for other restrictions. The reality is, there is not much difference between where you can carry in Westchester between Target and Sportsperson. Sportsperson really does not get you that much. If you think you have proper cause for a Business or Full Carry, you can always make that case later. You don't want to risk getting denied on the initial application. If an amendment to change restrictions later is denied, it is not a big deal as it is not the same as being denied a license. Good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My advice would be to apply for a Target restriction first. If you had a permit in NYC, you should have no trouble getting the Target restricted license in Westchester. That will allow you to add back your pistols and take possession of them. Once you have the Target and your pistols back, you can explore and consider amending for other restrictions. The reality is, there is not much difference between where you can carry in Westchester between Target and Sportsperson. Sportsperson really does not get you that much. If you think you have proper cause for a Business or Full Carry, you can always make that case later. You don't want to risk getting denied on the initial application. If an amendment to change restrictions later is denied, it is not a big deal as it is not the same as being denied a license. Good luck.
How does having NYC permit help getting westchester permit? My understanding from this board and talking to the permit department has been that I have to start from scratch and apply for westchester permit. Having NYC permit has no bearing whatsoever. Am I wrong in that thinking?

Also for references they said they dont have to be westchester residents - do you know if they have to be NYS residents?

·
Registered
77 Posts
How does having NYC permit help getting westchester permit? My understanding from this board and talking to the permit department has been that I have to start from scratch and apply for westchester permit. Having NYC permit has no bearing whatsoever. Am I wrong in that thinking?

Also for references they said they dont have to be westchester residents - do you know if they have to be NYS residents?
Couple other questions if anyone can answer:

1) When filling application - I apply for concealed carry and then add one of these restrictions. Is that right?
2) Any recommendation for safety courses in lower westchester that dont cost a kidney?
3) Amendments I see are: Hunting, Sport Target Shooting, full carry. Is there a separate sportsperson or target that I am not seeing? Or am I thinking of it wrong?

·
Registered
295 Posts

1) When filling application - I apply for concealed carry and then add one of these restrictions. Is that right?
2) Any recommendation for safety courses in lower westchester that dont cost a kidney?
3) Amendments I see are: Hunting, Sport Target Shooting, full carry. Is there a separate sportsperson or target that I am not seeing? Or am I thinking of it wrong?
Sorry if my reply was confusing. Did not mean to imply that your NYC permit helped with a Westchester application. You are correct, they are separate and unrelated. What I meant to say was that if you passed the background check in NYC you will likely pass in Westchester. You should fill out the application and then also fill out the amendment form for Sport Target Shooting restriction. Yes, you are applying for a concealed carry permit with restrictions. Say that you are interested in pursuing the sport of target shooting and that you go to the range at whatever frequency you go. For classes, check out Blueline Tactical. They have excellent classes, reasonably priced. You should also consider joining as a member as it is an excellent indoor range. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the Pistol Safety Class at Blueline this summer. It cost me $200. The class was not bad and all of us passed the test.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry if my reply was confusing. Did not mean to imply that your NYC permit helped with a Westchester application. You are correct, they are separate and unrelated. What I meant to say was that if you passed the background check in NYC you will likely pass in Westchester. You should fill out the application and then also fill out the amendment form for Sport Target Shooting restriction. Yes, you are applying for a concealed carry permit with restrictions. Say that you are interested in pursuing the sport of target shooting and that you go to the range at whatever frequency you go. For classes, check out Blueline Tactical. They have excellent classes, reasonably priced. You should also consider joining as a member as it is an excellent indoor range. Hope this helps.
Thank you for detailed responses. So basically done with the app - just need to get references done and the class taken care of. Hopefully not too long.

·
Registered
49 Posts

1. Yes concealed carry and then add one of the restrictions such as target shooting or hunting.

2. Firearms Safety Courses (4-8 hrs classroom)
Gold Shield Training Center 4 South Sixth Avenue Mount Vernon, NY 10550 914-667-2299 $300 (With application support) (Course only $150)
GLL Unlimited & SGT School 45 Ludlow St, Yonkers, NY 10705 (914) 469-8433 $???
SightsOnU Firearms Safety 174 Gramatan Ave Mount Vernon, NY 10550 $200
L&L Sports 261 Halstead Ave. Harrison, NY 10528 (914) 835-4145 $195
Blueline Shooting Sports 444 Saw Mill River Road Suite 300 Elmsford, NY 10523 914-560-8431 $200

3. They took away the Sportsperson amendment form from the website but some say if you ask for it they will give it to you and still honor it. Supposedly they don't want people to have that anymore and make it difficult to find the form now. This was the old form from 2013 - http://www.adaptiveshooting.com/uploads/5/7/2/8/57280691/westchesterpistol_sportsperson.pdf

PS. When doing the forms make sure to use black ink, also you need 2 of the PPB-3 forms, both need to be original with your references signatures on each and it needs to be printed double sided. Make sure they all sign with black ink too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
1. Yes concealed carry and then add one of the restrictions such as target shooting or hunting.

2. Firearms Safety Courses (4-8 hrs classroom)
Gold Shield Training Center 4 South Sixth Avenue Mount Vernon, NY 10550 914-667-2299 $300 (With application support) (Course only $150)
GLL Unlimited & SGT School 45 Ludlow St, Yonkers, NY 10705 (914) 469-8433 $???
SightsOnU Firearms Safety 174 Gramatan Ave Mount Vernon, NY 10550 $200
L&L Sports 261 Halstead Ave. Harrison, NY 10528 (914) 835-4145 $195
Blueline Shooting Sports 444 Saw Mill River Road Suite 300 Elmsford, NY 10523 914-560-8431 $200

3. They took away the Sportsperson amendment form from the website but some say if you ask for it they will give it to you and still honor it. Supposedly they don't want people to have that anymore and make it difficult to find the form now. This was the old form from 2013 - http://www.adaptiveshooting.com/uploads/5/7/2/8/57280691/westchesterpistol_sportsperson.pdf

PS. When doing the forms make sure to use black ink, also you need 2 of the PPB-3 forms, both need to be original with your references signatures on each and it needs to be printed double sided. Make sure they all sign with black ink too.
Thank You so much for this - it helps a lot.

So here are the forms I need to submit:
1) 2 original copies of PPB 3 - Does this need to be notarized next to the photo or "sworn" means something different? I need to attach one photo.
2) 1 original copy Background investigation worksheet - this needs to be notarized. For question that asks where it will be stored - just saying that it will be stored in a lock box when not in use should be ok? Also under have you ever section everything for me is no except first question that asks if I have ever had a permit. I will have to write a letter saying that I had it in NYC and then get that letter notarized
3) Attach original safety course completion certificate
4) 1 copy of request for records check with applicant section completed
5) 1 copy of authorization of release of personal information - this needs to be notarized.
6) 4 original character reference letters
7) 1 original sports target shooting attachment - this needs to be notarized. I would like to get sportsperson so maybe I can complete that form as well and take it with me to see if they will accept that instead OR should I just take sports target shooting attachment and ask for sportsperson amendment in there. I know it gives you more excuses to have the gun on you - but what would be the explanation as to why you require this over sports target.
8) One copy of safekeeping voucher of my guns from FFL.

I think this sums it up - am I missing anything?

Thank you for all the input.

·
Registered
49 Posts

1) 2 original copies of PPB 3 - Does this need to be notarized next to the photo or "sworn" means something different? I need to attach one photo.
2) 1 original copy Background investigation worksheet - this needs to be notarized. For question that asks where it will be stored - just saying that it will be stored in a lock box when not in use should be ok? Also under have you ever section everything for me is no except first question that asks if I have ever had a permit. I will have to write a letter saying that I had it in NYC and then get that letter notarized
5) 1 copy of authorization of release of personal information - this needs to be notarized.
7) 1 original sports target shooting attachment - this needs to be notarized. I would like to get sportsperson so maybe I can complete that form as well and take it with me to see if they will accept that instead OR should I just take sports target shooting attachment and ask for sportsperson amendment in there. I know it gives you more excuses to have the gun on you - but what would be the explanation as to why you require this over sports target.

1. yes notarize, but dont attach the photo, bring it with you and they will attach it
2. i said stored at home in a safe/lockbox with a trigger lock
7. if you bring that sportsperson amendment form with you it will need a notarization, not sure they do that at the office

follow this exactly - https://publicsafety.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/2019wcpdPistolLicense.pdf

·
Registered
295 Posts

I would strongly suggest you first apply for a Target permit. If you risk applying for Sportsperson out of the gate you have a reasonable chance for a denial. You will then have to fight that denial in court to get a permit and get you pistols back. And then you will always have that denial on your record when applying for other permits. Even two years ago this would not have been an issue. But since Latimer was elected and put a new person in charge of the licensing, things have become much more strict. Search this forum. Folks have been denied Sportsperson restrictions in the last two years with perfectly clean records because of a subjective determination that they did not have proper cause. You can always apply for Sportsperson after you successfully get your Target permit. The Target permit will let you take possession of your pistols and in reality, there is virtually no difference between Target and Sportsperson from a practical perspective with respect to carrying your firearm. The only "restrictions" that actually allow you to carry in Westchester without concern for getting stopped and risking a suspension or revocation of your permit are Full Carry and Business Carry. Short of those two, Target, Hunting, Sportsperson are all basically the same.

See below link.

https://nyfirearms.com/forums/pistol-permits/157788-denied-my-sportsperson-amendment.html

·
Registered
49 Posts
Whats the normal wait time for Westchester? I submitted everything in mid-October and have not heard back. The website also says not to call in to check so not really sure what to do. What if the letter/notice gets lost in the mail?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Whats the normal wait time for Westchester? I submitted everything in mid-October and have not heard back. The website also says not to call in to check so not really sure what to do. What if the letter/notice gets lost in the mail?
It can take anywhere from 6-12 months after your appointment and interview. If you have not received a letter by 6 months, there is no downside to calling to check on status. Despite what it may say, I have never had a bad experience calling the permit office to ask a question even for an update on status.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It can take anywhere from 6-12 months after your appointment and interview. If you have not received a letter by 6 months, there is no downside to calling to check on status. Despite what it may say, I have never had a bad experience calling the permit office to ask a question even for an update on status.
Thanks. I ended up calling them and was actually approved and my letter had been mailed out.

I did everything late October 2019 and was approved first week of Jan 2020.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts