New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lots of great info here on the board to help guide me through the process of applying in Westchester county. I have an 8 year old DUI from Florida on my record. I know it won't look good on the app, but do those who know think it will be grounds for an automatic denial ? I've never ever been in any other trouble, had carry permit in PA previously (lived there for awhile) and will have solid references. Also have been a county resident and taxpayer (!) for the last four years. Would appreciate any input, thoughts or opinions on the matter. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I know of someone that applied in another county that had a misdemeanor pot charge going back 20 plus years. Had he not put that on there, it might have been found and then he would have been denied. If you by chance don't drink now and quit, then I would consider putting that on there, but with a note that you do not drink and have learned a valuable lesson. Perhaps someone else can chime in here.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Just make sure you write down that info on your app, get the court disposition and turn that in with your app. write a formal letter of explanation and have it notarized. If you dont know how to write one up you can shoot me a pm and i can help you out.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I had a friend who was arrested 2 times for serious drug charges(he was 16-17 at the time), 15 years before he applied for a Westchester County license. He was initially declined and had to file an appeal. A very good NRA attorney ,who is now deceased ,advised him to seek a face to face with the judge. At that time, mid 80's, it was unheard of that you could even speak personally to the judge, vitually no one was given the opportunity to plead their case personally. The lawyer asked for a meeting with the judge, though the lawyer never went to the meet. He met the judge, Carmine Marasco, who gave him a second chance. Today he's had his license for 27 years without incident, and thanks judge Marasco every day for the opportunity to prove himself a changed citizen.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I had a friend who was arrested 2 times for serious drug charges(he was 16-17 at the time), 15 years before he applied for a Westchester County license. He was initially declined and had to file an appeal. A very good NRA attorney ,who is now deceased ,advised him to seek a face to face with the judge. At that time, mid 80's, it was unheard of that you could even speak personally to the judge, vitually no one was given the opportunity to plead their case personally. The lawyer asked for a meeting with the judge, though the lawyer never went to the meet. He met the judge, Carmine Marasco, who gave him a second chance. Today he's had his license for 27 years without incident, and thanks judge Marasco every day for the opportunity to prove himself a changed citizen.
I will assume in the above scenario, these two arrests resulted in misdemeanor convictions for your friend who was a minor at the time of occurrence that took place in the mid-1960s. If these were felony convictions , he would have been automatically denied by law. Qualifications and character fitness to carry a pistol license is determined by each county judge/licensing officer. This will vary from county to county. Chances are your friend was granted a restricted target and hunting pistol license as that was [and still is] the norm for Westchester County residents.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I will assume in the above scenario, these two arrests resulted in misdemeanor convictions for your friend who was a minor at the time of occurrence that took place in the mid-1960s. If these were felony convictions , he would have been automatically denied by law. Qualifications and character fitness to carry a pistol license is determined by each county judge/licensing officer. This will vary from county to county. Chances are your friend was granted a restricted target and hunting pistol license as that was [and still is] the norm for Westchester County residents.
I have heard of felons that are not of a violent nature going under a strict review and eventually getting a pistol permit, I know one that actually owns a gunshop if I'm not mistaken. Does this vary by county?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for your input. I'll post on my experience(s) in Westchester county.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
He was never convicted of either charge, both thrown out for various reasons.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so to revive this thread I finally got my permit application today. I'll post updates as I move along in the process. The clerk told me today my appointment would be in August if I got it done quickly. Hope he's wrong, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Holy cow. A friend of mine in Rockland submitted theirs in Sept or Oct and it's on the judges desk waiting to sign after the 1st of the year. I feel for you guys in Westchester. I moved from there back in 98 as things we getting expensive then. Fast forward to now.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy cow. A friend of mine in Rockland submitted theirs in Sept or Oct and it's on the judges desk waiting to sign after the 1st of the year. I feel for you guys in Westchester. I moved from there back in 98 as things we getting expensive then. Fast forward to now.
Its a pain I agree. The wife and I both have good jobs in the city so it's tough to just up and move. Trust me, I'm thinking about it more and more.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got my appointment and it's 10/3 ! Wow. I'll keep calling back to see if they are any openings / cancellations.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Time to revive an old thread...I have been looking for a job outside of NY and the process is slow. I decided to follow through with the permit after all. Taking my class tomorrow to comply with Westchester's rules and then it will be pretty quick to wrap the rest of the application up. My drop off date was bumped up to 7/31, but they called me a few months back and said they were doing evening appointments to speed the process up so I'll see if I can take advanatge of that. Gee, after I drop it off I'll have 6 more months to cool my heels.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Lots of great info here on the board to help guide me through the process of applying in Westchester county. I have an 8 year old DUI from Florida on my record. I know it won't look good on the app, but do those who know think it will be grounds for an automatic denial ? I've never ever been in any other trouble, had carry permit in PA previously (lived there for awhile) and will have solid references. Also have been a county resident and taxpayer (!) for the last four years. Would appreciate any input, thoughts or opinions on the matter. Thanks.
I know a guy who had three in ny and still got his permit

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I'm pretty clear that they will give it to me. Of course, it will take 6 months from the time I drop if off to get my permission slip signed. I really, really hope that I am in Texas, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire or Florida by that time, but I am seeing that may not happen as quickly as I would like.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, So I dropped my app off on 7/23/13. It was a painless process and the detective was polite and efficient. He went through my paperwork, took my prints and photographed me. I was in and out in 20 minutes. If things go OK I may just have my permit before the new year. If things go really well, I'll be living in Virginia by the beginning of October. We'll see...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just called the pistol permit guys to check on my app and they said it is still "in their chain of command". In short, they're not done yet. Officer Hoffman suggested that it would probably be another 8 weeks. Now I go back to waiting...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts