New York Firearms Forum banner

Westchester County Permit Submitted/Advice

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Planetvibes914 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I just submitted my Westchester County pistol permit application and did fingerprinting this morning and wanted to share my experience so far and share any knowledge I gained recently.
I had wanted to get my pistol permit for a couple of years but my wife was weary about it as we have a 7 year old daughter but I got the go ahead after she watched the rioting on TV every night in early June. I first bout a Ruger 10/22 rifle and an Emperor 12 gauge shotgun and went to the range and got a lesson and really enjoyed shooting and I wanted to add a pistol to my collection.
So I called the pistol license unit in early June and got a message that they were closed due to the Covid. I figured it would only be for a short time as we were moving along in reopening phases so I just called every day until I finally got someone on the phone on 7/20/20. They asked if I had all my application items completed and I said yes even though I just had the forms filled out but no signatures, pistol purchased, class taken, etc. as I had heard it was a long wait to even get an appointment usually. I was pleasantly surprised when they gave me an appointment for submittal and fingerprinting exactly 1 month later. You should always say you have everything ready otherwise they wont give you an appointment. They are not going to make it for the next day anyway so you will have time. I know someone that called same day as me 7/20 and said no everything was not complete and they said call back when it is and he called back 2 weeks later and couldnt get an appointment until November.
I arrived for my 9am appointment about 20 minutes early only to find the building doesnt open to the public until 9am and you have to have temperature taken then go through security and go up elevator over bridge to licence unit room, so I was a little late. No problem. There is no questioning at the interview, just give documents, take a photo and get fingerprinted. Now my wait begins.
A few tips I would have about the documents would be:
- be sure to only use black ink on all documents even for signatures. I had filled out in black ink but got signatures in blue ink then saw online they wanted black so I called office and they did say they highly recommend black ink signatures too. So I re did all forms. Not sure if they would have made me reschedule for that but I didnt want to take chance.
- Just bring you 2x2 inch photos to appointment loose as they attach with glue there.
- Make sure ppb3 form is printed double sided and have two of them completed. All other forms can be single sided and only 1 of them.
- On the back of the ppb3 form fill in your purchased gun info and in the Property Of field enter the FFL that is holding it. Stupid me actually thought the $2,000 gun i purchased was my property. Luckily they just whited it out and let me write it in at the office.
- I was told by my class instructor to choose Carry Concealed option and then Sport Target as reason. Make sure to complete Sport Target attachment document. Some instructors like mine actually took me to a live fire range in CT as i guess there if one person has a permit they can bring a guest. I would recommend this as you can actually hold and fire a pistol and ask any questions you may have.
- Make copies of all other documents they want (passport, drivers license, utility bill, receipt of pistol purchase) as they keep that with rest of documents and never asked to see my originals.
- Make sure to have the necessary documents notorized.

I know this was long but I just wanted to help anyone who may be going through the process to avoid any delays. Lord knows Westchester makes us wait long enough. I will try to remember to post a follow up when I finally receive my permit to let you know how long it took. I cant wait to go pick up my new Kimber Rapide Black Ice!

See less See more
#2 ·
Good post, I did my fingerprint/appt Oct 2019 and was approved late Dec/Early Jan. I never got the notice in the mail, I had to call up and check on my status for them to tell me it was approved and then they make you go back in to the office to get the license.

#8 ·
It's a beautiful piece! Congrats.
Care to share your experience? I've got my appointment coming up next month. I think I've got all the necessary paperwork in order with the PPB3, character references, sport and hunting attachments, hunting license, certificates of disposition, course certificate, and pistol invoice showing the FFL as owner.
I'm curious about what wording to use for my target/ hunting attachments? Any advice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.