New York Firearms Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
It is not impossible to get upgraded to Full Carry in Westchester. Generally if you don't have your sportsman for at least one year, don't bother. Judge Reitz in Putman once laid out his criteria for upgrading. Both Putnam and Westchester are in the NY 9th Judicial District. One could make the argument that the criteria in the counties in the 9th should apply uniformly.

You still need bonafide reasons, exhibits, articles, personal experiences and or situations where you can demonstrate an unrestricted would have been warranted.

Training, and I mean a lot of training, including advanced like offered at the SIG academy helps. I am not LEO or retired LEO and I was granted Full Carry in Westchester.

Finally, the luck of the draw with respect to the Judge matters, although you can't control that, even if you write to a specific Judge. Good luck, it can be done.

My amendment and attachments were 40+ pages and it took 5 months. My sportsperson took 3 months from interview to permit.

Please do not ask, I will not go into my personal application details. My advise, do your homework or hire a good 2a attorney with full carry success history in Westchester.

Do not attempt to claim it is your constitutional right to full conceal carry,
It is not.

Finally, I got mine when Rob was county Exec. No idea what Lattmer has planned, although he cannot demand judges rule one way or the other. It's a separation of powers thing.

Best of luck to all those who try. Be honest, do not embellish and expect to wait 5-6 months tnhear back.
When it comes to renewal at the 5 year mark, does "proper Cause" have to be justified again?

·
Registered
248 Posts
It shouldn't unless they downgrade you which you can fight. I have known a few people to have full carries for multiple renew cycles and then randomly when they go to renew they downgrade it. So it is not necessary, but good to have you ducks in a row when the renew cycle hits.
When it comes to renewal at the 5 year mark, does "proper Cause" have to be justified again?

·
Registered
13 Posts
If Do you bring handguns into New York State I would surrender them to the local police department within a 72 hour. For safekeeping and apply for your pistol permit they cannot get rid of your guns unless they been abandoned and they must contact you before doing so

·
Registered
105 Posts
If Do you bring handguns into New York State I would surrender them to the local police department within a 72 hour. For safekeeping and apply for your pistol permit they cannot get rid of your guns unless they been abandoned and they must contact you before doing so
Absolutely do not surrender them to a police department , if anything talk to a FFL and tell them your plans and have them hold them for you
Never invite the man into your life when it's not needed , good luck hopefully you get your permit quickly .

·
Registered
47 Posts
You need a compelling reason to get unrestricted in Westchester. It has to a) be 100% true and b) convince someone who, by default, doesn't want to issue to you an unrestricted license that your "need" to carry a pistol is "greater than that of the average person". According to Westchester, the "average" person doesn't deserve to defend themselves outside of the home unless they're camping, hiking, or whatever. I got my Sportsman first just to get my license then applied for full carry 4 months later just for the hell of it and fully expecting to get denied. I got it 5 months and 1 follow-up, single page, handwritten letter later. For someone who's not a LEO, not rich, not a business owner, and had no help, I had the easiest and quickest process I've heard of in Westchester.

If you have options and don't mind a longer commute into NYC, I recommend another county like others have discussed and also getting a CT permit. Note that if you move to CT, you will not have any option to carry in NY, but with a NY license you can get a CT permit like others have described. With a NY state license you will be able to carry anywhere in the state as long as you stay within your restrictions excepting NYC. With a NY state license you will not be able to carry in NYC unless you go through NYC's much more difficult and expensive process in addition to your state process. To reiterate what others have said, stay away from NJ. Their laws are so restrictive and ignorant that they make NY look pro-2A.

I suggest keeping your handguns back home until licensed in NY. If you want to bring them up, make some phome calls to FFLs near where you'll be moving to and make arrangements for them to keep them for you for a fee until you're licensed. Then ship them from down south to that FFL, so you can pick them up once you have your license. I strongly discourage giving them to the local police. I respect and support the police, but they're the last people I would want holding any of my guns for any reason and I would have no interest whatsoever in walking into a police station in NY with a bunch of handguns and no license.

Finally, regarding your stripped AR lower, there is no way to register it and no requirement for you to register a NY-legal rifle. Just be very sure that you are creating a fully compliant rifle after doing diligent research into the nonsense NY SAFE Act.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got my Sportsman first just to get my license then applied for full carry 4 months later just for the hell of it and fully expecting to get denied. I got it 5 months and 1 follow-up, single page, handwritten letter later. For someone who's not a LEO, not rich, not a business owner, and had no help, I had the easiest and quickest process I've heard of in Westchester.
Sorry for bringing back a REALLY old thread. But, I was searching the web for this very thing and came across your response. Can you provide some insight into what, specifically, you said or how you explained your "need" for a full carry? What were the magic words?

Thanks

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've been saying it all along, the letter of the law says if you have proper cause then you can get a full carry permit. Thank you for proving further, independent proof of such. So many here are so scared to try and end up shitting their pants just thinking about it and never try. They get the fake permit that says they cant leave their house with their guns and on top of that they have to keep them locked up. Totally pointless. They take their kick in the balls from their county and some actually enjoy it.

The worst part is the guys who get the fake permits don't want anyone else to get the good permit, so they come on here and discourage anyone from trying. They don't want anyone to have a better permit than they have so they make up horror stories. Sad!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my pistol permit, (target) for a few years and want to upgrade, called the county and asked if I can, person said they are not giving out concealed carry or sports at the moment. I guess there's no way around it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I got my pistol permit, (target) for a few years and want to upgrade, called the county and asked if I can, person said they are not giving out concealed carry or sports at the moment. I guess there's no way around it?
Just chill out for a couple of months Supreme Court decision will be coming soon so we'll find out about our restrictions .

21 - 30 of 30 Posts