New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I see there are dozens of posts on this topic matter, but am hoping for the most updated information if possible.

I’m moving to New York (likely Westchester County) from the south (my wife got a job that she couldn’t turn down). I sold my weapons in preparation for the move (gulp). I have an active and unrestricted CWP in the state in which I live now.

Is it still nearly impossible for a person to get an Unrestricted Pistol License in Westchester?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Very difficult for a civilian to get an unrestricted in Westchester.
It has happened but is unlikely.
AR's have to be NY compliant.
A stripped lower does not have to be registered but has to have a serial number.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi,

I see there are dozens of posts on this topic matter, but am hoping for the most updated information if possible.

I'm moving to New York (likely Westchester County) from the south (my wife got a job that she couldn't turn down). I sold my weapons in preparation for the move (gulp). I have an active and unrestricted CWP in the state in which I live now.

Is it still nearly impossible for a person to get an Unrestricted Pistol License in Westchester?
Don't move to Westchester if your looking to keep non restricted. Go to duchess or try Putnam counties. Better off duchess Putnam likes to make people wait.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you considered moving to CT? Is just next door from Westchester CO, since you already have a permit on your state, you can already apply for an out of state permit (Would be easier than if you apply as a resident).

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Welcome to Andrews Republic of New Yorkistan, you are under arrest!
Like posted live in another state and commute to work. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dutchess only gives unrestricted. Like someone else suggested apply now for CT non resident permit. Here is the # +18606858494 call let them kno you would like to apply for non resident permit and they will mail you the paperwork. They require live fire training and I think the total cost the permit might be around $150 but its worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dutchess only gives unrestricted. Like someone else suggested apply now for CT non resident permit. Here is the # +18606858494 call let them kno you would like to apply for non resident permit and they will mail you the paperwork. They require live fire training and I think the total cost the permit might be around $150 but its worth it.
Thanks for the info. Do you mean apply now for CT non-resident in the case that I ultimately end up moving there?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you mean apply now for CT non-resident in the case that I ultimately end up moving there?
Yes apply now for the CT permit even way if you move there you will have it already and if you move to NY you will still be able to fully carry in CT it's a good thing to have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do not go anyware near NJ. They will not issue you anything. Also, when you move, do not bring any handguns into NYS or you will loose them and may end up with a record. After you move to NYS and get a pistol license you can then have them shipped from your current state to a dealer in NY.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I cannot believe these posts. But that is why I am still in Texas, retired. Moved here in 1970 for job. Love Tillson, NY and want to transfer a bunch of handguns to my older son who has 80 acres there , but at 76 years old, it would probably take 50 years to do so and I will long be dead!!😞😞😞

·
Registered
14 Posts
NY varies greatly

Hi,

I'm moving to New York (likely Westchester County) from the south (my wife got a job that she couldn't turn down). I sold my weapons in preparation for the move (gulp). I have an active and unrestricted CWP in the state in which I live now.

You have a very slight chance of getting unrestricted in Westchester or Rockland. Much much much better chance in Orange, Putnam, Sullivan, or Dutchess.

Do you know what a NY SAFE Act compliant AR looks like??? It is not just a crowned barrel and pinned stock anymore..... It is frigging horrible and I refuse to own one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good Morning LedZepp:

Thank you for your post. While Westchester can be one of the more challenging counties to navigate, our firm has had success. It depends entirely on each applicant and their background history. If you need some guidance or assistance, please feel welcome to message me to chat further. Enjoy the week!

Sincerely,

Adam Gonzalez
Director of Administration
The Law Offices of David Fried, PC

·
Registered
54 Posts
It is not impossible to get upgraded to Full Carry in Westchester. Generally if you don’t have your sportsman for at least one year, don’t bother. Judge Reitz in Putman once laid out his criteria for upgrading. Both Putnam and Westchester are in the NY 9th Judicial District. One could make the argument that the criteria in the counties in the 9th should apply uniformly.

You still need bonafide reasons, exhibits, articles, personal experiences and or situations where you can demonstrate an unrestricted would have been warranted.

Training, and I mean a lot of training, including advanced like offered at the SIG academy helps. I am not LEO or retired LEO and I was granted Full Carry in Westchester.

Finally, the luck of the draw with respect to the Judge matters, although you can’t control that, even if you write to a specific Judge. Good luck, it can be done.

My amendment and attachments were 40+ pages and it took 5 months. My sportsperson took 3 months from interview to permit.

Please do not ask, I will not go into my personal application details. My advise, do your homework or hire a good 2a attorney with full carry success history in Westchester.

Do not attempt to claim it is your constitutional right to full conceal carry,
It is not.

Finally, I got mine when Rob was county Exec. No idea what Lattmer has planned, although he cannot demand judges rule one way or the other. It’s a separation of powers thing.

Best of luck to all those who try. Be honest, do not embellish and expect to wait 5-6 months tnhear back.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Others have said this but easiest thing for you to do is move to Greenwich, CT. If you are looking to live in Westchester, financially there is little difference. In fact, taxes are probably lower in Greenwich. Your wife's commute will not be appreciably different. While it is officially a May Issue state, CT really functions more like a Shall Issue state. Especially for non resident permits. Get a non resident CT before you move and then just change your residency after you move to CT. You will keep the same permit. All CT permits issued to carry are full carry and they are good for 5 years. I agree with the above post about possible to convert to Full Carry in Westchester. While it is possible for a non retired LEO to get it, it is not an easy process. You will have to demonstrate proper cause to carry unrestricted based on a need greater than the general population. They set the bar very high and it is entirely dependent on both the recommendation of the pistol license detectives and the judge. If the detectives don't endorse it there is almost no chance the judge will and even if they do, the judge still may not.

Why go through the hassle. I moved to NY several years ago. If I could do it over I would have just moved to CT. I may still.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts