New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is more of a rant than anything else, but it really aggravates me that I have to wait 4 weeks to get permission to pick up a piece of property that I paid for already. Already went through the pain staking process of getting my pistol permit, then I have to fill out freaking paperwork and mail it in with $3 and have to wait a month! I cant stand this state, and this county. It really is quite unfair to be treated this way as a law abiding citizen. I just dont get why the process can't be streamlined for the sake of law abiding citizens and all tax payers.

Just got off the phone with the clerks office and when I asked why it takes so long the answer I got was that they just have a lot of them to do.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
I feel your pain, Jon, even though Putnam is only 1 week.

Our clerk is retiring at the end of the year, I'm going to lobby(with my gun club, and others) for the new clerk to change the way business is done. Perhaps we can get him to pre-issue coupons like so many other counties in NY do. It makes things easier when you're out and about, away from home, and may see a gun you may want but don't want to make a trip back to the store.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I know it is bull**** and the real frustating part is that even though the safe will be eventually defeated the entire pistol permit amendment process in Westchester will always be in place.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Damn.... At least I can stop checking my mailbox every day. I have been waiting for 3 weeks for the amendment. Hopefully We'll get it by the time the snow melts.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I emailed WCFOA to see if/what they are doing about working to change this absurd process. Like you said, "coupons" should be able to be preissued so you could buy if your far from home, etc.... I am going to write a letter to the county clerk tomorrow. I was told by the Putnum county clerk I could transfer my permit to putnum because of my address. I am going to look into this as well as soon as this amendment is through.

I feel your pain, Jon, even though Putnam is only 1 week.

Our clerk is retiring at the end of the year, I'm going to lobby(with my gun club, and others) for the new clerk to change the way business is done. Perhaps we can get him to pre-issue coupons like so many other counties in NY do. It makes things easier when you're out and about, away from home, and may see a gun you may want but don't want to make a trip back to the store.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I dropped off my paperwork in White Plains for an amendment on January 2nd.
The clerk told me the judges were out for the rest of the week and that it would take 2 to 4 weeks.
I'm still waiting, I was hoping to have it by now. Every day I check my mailbox only to be disappointed.
C.B.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it is bull**** and the real frustating part is that even though the safe will be eventually defeated the entire pistol permit amendment process in Westchester will always be in place.
Perhaps this will make you feel better, the Tresmond law firm is going to be challenging the permitting process of NYS so we do have hope coming down tge road.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
I emailed WCFOA to see if/what they are doing about working to change this absurd process. Like you said, "coupons" should be able to be preissued so you could buy if your far from home, etc.... I am going to write a letter to the county clerk tomorrow. I was told by the Putnum county clerk I could transfer my permit to putnum because of my address. I am going to look into this as well as soon as this amendment is through.
Well then, welcome to Putnam, lol.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
It took me 4-weeks, to the day, to get my amended permit for my purchases.

I've stored the amendment form as a .PDF file with all of my information on it, except for the firearm information. That way: When my FFL receives my merchandise, he can read me the serial numbers, I can add them to the pre-typed form, and send out the documentation the next morning. This, of course, does nothing to expedite the process, it just saves me a bit of writing and an extra trip to the FFL.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive done the same thing phazer.... just wish there was a fair process for law abiding permit holders.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
The bad part about Putnam is that everything needs to be done FTF, so 2 trips to the office. Once to submit the amendment, then again to pick up the coupon.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For what its worth, this is my letter to the clerks office..

Dear Mr. Idoni,

I am writing to you as a tax paying, home owning, parent and resident of Westchester County. I am also a pistol permit holder and a Certified NRA Pistol Instructor. The purpose of this letter is regarding the amendment process in which to add a pistol to ones permit.

The current process could use some improvement in order to be more efficient for both the county and its residents. By creating a more efficient process it could reduce costs and save on your budget, while also providing fast and efficient service to the law abiding permit holders of Westchester.

I recently submitted an amendment form to add a handgun that I purchased at a local gun shop, and I was informed by your office that the current wait time is approximately 4 weeks. I am not familiar with the inner workings of your office, but 4 weeks of time is surely wasting precious dollars that could be used for other purposes. I also feel that having to wait 4 weeks to pick up a firearm that has been paid for; when already going through the extensive permitting process, is a bit unfair. As as a Certified NRA Pistol Instructor I am now at a disadvantage in being able to perform certain instruction to new shooters without having my newly purchased handgun, and this denies me the ability to make money to help provide for my family.

There are numerous counties in NY State that provide "coupons" immediately for its CCW holders so that they can streamline the purchasing process whether they are traveling out of town to a different part of the state, or at a gun show, etc... I am respectfully asking for your consideration to modify the existing system so that law abiding pistol permit holders are not inconvenienced and denied the right to take possession of their property for lengthy periods of time. In my case, it is hurting my ability to provide for my family.

Respectfully,

thecelt ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just got off the phone with the clerks office and when I asked why it takes so long the answer I got was that they just have a lot of them to do.
BS!!

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
For what its worth, this is my letter to the clerks office..
Nah. Makes too much sense. No need to streamline the system to accommodate mental defectives and miscreants that think they should own deadly weapons. Just because we have to let these damn things be available doesn't mean we have to like it.

/channeling_inner_leftist

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
That's ridiculous. Monroe County clerks will type the info onto your permit in one visit and you can return to LGS. Livingston issues purchasing stubs and you then have 10 days to add it to your permit. There's no way that they're processing that many that it should take a month.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its probably alot like phazer just said. They dont like LACs having firearms so they drag it out as best they can.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
There's no way that they're processing that many that it should take a month.
They aren't processing that many. Heck, I filed an amendment to add two pistols to my permit four weeks after I picked up my permit. They still had to send the application "to the judge" for a signature. Why???? I just got my damn permit! There wasn't even a scratch on my initially issued permit card when I received my new card with the additional pistols listed on the back.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts