New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I think I finally made up my mind and I'm gonna put together my own fixed mag AR might be a little daring for a complete novice when it comes to ARs but I found a good how to from ITS tactical so Im gonna go for it. I plan on utilizing the T nut method I've seen on here. But back to the point Im gonna start buying the few tools I need, a LPK and a striped lower which brings me to the question I had anybody here know of any shops in the erie county region that still sells or will transfer a lower for me. And frankly any advice would be helpful and much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If your ever in utica there's a company that sells lowers. I did the channel locks, hammer and punch method to put my lower together. If I had to do it again I would buy the roll pin punch set from midway or brownells. For the 20-30 bucks it's worth it for frustration and not marring the lower up. Hey live and learn though.

As far as the upper I was planning on building my own but the sales that were going on were too cheap to pass up. So I don't know your time frame for the build but if you can wait a few months for the upper I would hold out for Black Friday. Last year there were some awesome sales that I passed up on complete uppers, because I planned on building my own. If you can't tell I'm still kicking myself.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or keep the the tread alive and by no means am I an expert.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
It's extremely easy, you'll be fine. It is such an easy project that after it is finished, you'll be convinced it won't work until you shoot it for the first time.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Get a set of roll pin punches and a lower receiver vise block you can get them for about 20$. Then just follow along on youtube. Check out Pallmetto State Armory they have deals and you can buy a lower build kit for around 80-120 depending on the furniture you get with it. I have built three and several friends who build ar's almost non stop and i have never heard a complaint about a PSA lpk. If you go with one of their uppers they have good premium stuff but most will say to stay away from the PTAC line. Good luck and happy building!

welcome to black rifle disease

you might as well sign up at Ar15.com as well.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your ever in utica there's a company that sells lowers. I did the channel locks, hammer and punch method to put my lower together. If I had to do it again I would buy the roll pin punch set from midway or brownells. For the 20-30 bucks it's worth it for frustration and not marring the lower up. Hey live and learn though.

As far as the upper I was planning on building my own but the sales that were going on were too cheap to pass up. So I don't know your time frame for the build but if you can wait a few months for the upper I would hold out for Black Friday. Last year there were some awesome sales that I passed up on complete uppers, because I planned on building my own. If you can't tell I'm still kicking myself.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or keep the the tread alive and by no means am I an expert.
I dont really have a time frame I'm just gonna pick up what I can afford here and there and I've been considering a complete upper I've seen a few deals posted on here so maybe next time il snatch one up

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get a set of roll pin punches and a lower receiver vise block you can get them for about 20$. Then just follow along on youtube. Check out Pallmetto State Armory they have deals and you can buy a lower build kit for around 80-120 depending on the furniture you get with it. I have built three and several friends who build ar's almost non stop and i have never heard a complaint about a PSA lpk. If you go with one of their uppers they have good premium stuff but most will say to stay away from the PTAC line. Good luck and happy building!

welcome to black rifle disease

you might as well sign up at Ar15.com as well.
That's a great idea I'm definitely gonna sign up there

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I dont really have a time frame I'm just gonna pick up what I can afford here and there and I've been considering a complete upper I've seen a few deals posted on here so maybe next time il snatch one up
I got mine from primary arms and am very happy with it. I want a bravo company one also. It's worth checking those 2 companies out and watching for sales. Just as an FYI my completed rifle with optics was around $900. You can do it cheaper but it's all about what you want to build.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I built 5 of them and had no special tools. I bought the upper complete with bolt when they were on sale. Gun shows in my area sell lowers for around $80 and lower kits go for around $60.00. It is not hard to do. Follow the You Tube videos and join Ar-15.com. like others have said. Check the laws about stocks and pinned mags. We just had some trouble in Auburn. Good luck. I sold all of mine and bought an ATV, trailer and a puppy. Into single shots and long distance shooting in .308.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Just about any LGS worth anything should be selling or transferring lowers with no trouble. It seems daunting at first, but building from scratch is remarkably simple for anyone with a smidgeon of mechanical inclination.

A vise block is a big help, especially when putting in the bolt catch (tape off the lower really well at this step)
Amazon.com : Squirrel Daddy Ar15 / M16 Lower Receiver Magazine Vise Block Made In Usa : Gunsmithing Tools And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

A roll pin punch set is also a must have.
http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Engin...qid=1410399581&sr=8-7&keywords=roll+pin+punch

And a spanner wrench for the buffer tube install.
http://www.amazon.com/Tapco-Intrafu...id=1410399689&sr=8-5&keywords=armorers+wrench

That's about all you'll need as far as tools. Good items to have on hand anyway. AR's are like Lays Potato Chips, you can never have just one.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
i just saw budsgunshop is selling several different AR's for under $650 bucks shipped! the S&W m&p sport is only $630

it pisses me the hell off we cant buy them in the standard configuration. we are forced to spend more money to build modified ones.

S&W M&P15 Sport 30+1 223REM/5.56NATO 16" $630.00 SHIPS FREE

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
darkstorm is a sponsor here, and ive heard nothing but good stuff about him.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I have several different upper configurations available. They start at 325$ for a barreled upper (450 complete).

If u want to build it yourself , i understand. It will be a bit cheaper if u buy one already built.

I have some super nice custom barrel or uppers if u want to go that route. Real tack drivers. Those Barrels are 185.

Let me know if you are interested in anything.

Thx

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am going to be starting soon as well. Fortunately where I work we have a nice machine shop that is empty when I stand night watch.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts