New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Walther P99 to death. The problem is, I love it to death (I've wanted one since I was 12). I feel bad shooting TulaAmmo through it. :'( I needed a: Beater (I'd put my P99 up against a Glock ANY day in terms of reliability and durability. But you don't wear a Rolex working on the car either. xD), cheaper shooter (9mm is actually a noticeable amount cheaper than .40S&W here), caliber that was more available...that last "ammo scare" we had a few summers ago made .40 almost an urban legend around here, and smaller CCW gun. Get this: I went to the gun store looking for a plinker (Walther P22), and some how I left with this:

Glock 26. Gen 3 (It was the one they had there and little of the Gen 4 stuff appealed to me, not to knock it, but this Gen 3 seemed fine to me.)

Ah. :) Now, questions for a Glock noob (I researched the p99 for years and the Glock for seconds. I just knew what Glock meant...):

1. +P? Thumbs up, frowned upon, or don't do it? I have some (factory) +P that I shoot through my 995 carbine and I'd like to know.

2. Cheap IWB holsters? I already dropped enough money on the P99s Supertuck, and I just want a light duty, range, doesn't have to be spectacular, cheap IWB.

3. Slide bite? Is it an issue more so than other brands? The P99...bevertail? (Well, the bit that goes over your thumb/middle finger skin) seems deeper... I've only 5 rounds through it (I have work to go to) and didn't notice any bite, just that it looked close to the thumbs.

4. Spare parts? I would imagine tons, but for Gen 3? Are they interchangeable across Gens? Like, say I shoot too much Tula and get the mythical (but I think BS...) "broken extractor". Where should/can I get parts? I'm also interested in an extended slide release lever.

5. Pre-ban 33s? Where to get them?

I'm sure I will think of more.

I went out and shot 5 shots...damn work, and I really liked the trigger. Also, the 9mm was nothing compared to the .40S&W recoil, and the .40 isn't even that much. I know I will have fun with this gun.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Congrats on the new Glock, you will love it!

1.) +p is fine, they are nato spec so even up to +p+ and your good, though expect some stout recoil in those pressures with the 26.

2.) How cheap is cheap? you get what you pay for.

3.) Slide bite can happen if you have a high grip, usually not to bad.

4.) The Sub compacts already have the dual recoil spring, other then the mag release your gen 3 is identical (outside the frame) to a gen 4. Parts can be had from many retailers, glockmiester, lonewolf dist, glock parts .com etc.

5.) Prebans....online or shows.....

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I don't know about high grip, I have smaller hands I am 5'7" there is no way I can grab it and get slide bite.
Guys with big meaty hands can get slide bite depending on the size of their hand.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
First, Congrats! Second, I'll take the Glock reliability over a Walther P99 any day of the week. Now, on to your questions:

1. +P? As mentioned above, not a problem at all.

2. Cheap IWB holsters? Don Hume, Desantis, Galco Stow-n-Go--all under $30 and work pretty decent. Check opticsplanet.com or just google them.

3. Slide bite? As Petrov mentioned, depends on the size of your hands. I never got slide bite, but I would get 2 black marks from the slide passing in between my thumb & finger.

4. Spare parts? TONS OF AFTERMARKET PARTS for Gen3!

5. Pre-ban 33s? Where to get them? Post up a Wanted ad in the Marketplace section

The G26 is a great little pistol, you won't be disappointed. You might even find that you start carrying that more & more.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, Congrats! Second, I'll take the Glock reliability over a Walther P99 any day of the week. Now, on to your questions:
Bring it OOOOONNNNNN!!!!!! xD

I went out and shot it a little more, along with my P99 today. Probably another 50 through each. only 1 malfunction between the 2, and I'm not knocking it because I don't know the whole story. It was a FTFeed on the 26. The slide got stuck back (not locked back by the stop) and the next round in the mag was cocked sideways. Then again, I didn't load the mag myself, and it guess it could be break in? Either way Tap-rack-bang fixed it. Fun as hell though. I still can't believe you get 10 rounds (actual 10, not NY 10) in that thing!

I can see me becoming more of a Glock fan. Now to go buy some more 9mm. :)

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
My only suggestion is to get rid of the awful plastic oem sights and get a set of metal ones, I prefer tritium night sights. I cannot stand the ball-in-cup style that comes with them.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My only suggestion is to get rid of the awful plastic oem sights and get a set of metal ones, I prefer tritium night sights. I cannot stand the ball-in-cup style that comes with them.
Both my guns want to be wearing Trijicons, but my Wallet doesn't agree right now. xD For the P99 they are right about $100, I'd imagine close to that for the Glock.

Another question!

That copper grease stuff (Glock's cosmoline)...leave it on? Get rid of it with a good cleaning? Or does it not matter?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Mini-hijack; I too got my first Glock on Friday!

As for your questions, I can recommend the best cheap holster I've found is the High Noon non-molded series. This is the Bare Asset, Mr. Softy, and Upper Cut, found here Inside The Waistband. They are the same price as the mass-produced junk you get retail but they are very high quality holsters that will last you forever. I have a Mr. Softy for my PPS and have another on the way for the new Glock.

I'm sure Glocks can handle +P (I feel like I would have heard that a million times if they couldn't) but its always a good idea to read the manual. Finally, for mags, I'd recommend getting in touch with LDD on the forum and keep an eye on the Gear and Accessories for sale forum. I just got two 17 rounders from him, he is very good to deal with!

As for the copper grease stuff, I cleaned as much of it as I could off, but left some in the slide rails where it was really hard to get at. The Glock was the cleanest gun out of the box that I've bought so far, and I suspect could have been fired reliably without a cleaning. I think the grease will work itself out over time, but after I take it to the range I'll probably give it a better cleaning and make sure its all gone.

Enjoy your new weapon, I'm sure it will serve you well!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

As for your questions, I can recommend the best cheap holster I've found is the High Noon non-molded series. This is the Bare Asset, Mr. Softy, and Upper Cut, found here Inside The Waistband. They are the same price as the mass-produced junk you get retail but they are very high quality holsters that will last you forever. I have a Mr. Softy for my PPS and have another on the way for the new Glock.

I'm sure Glocks can handle +P (I feel like I would have heard that a million times if they couldn't) but its always a good idea to read the manual. Finally, for mags, I'd recommend getting in touch with LDD on the forum and keep an eye on the Gear and Accessories for sale forum. I just got two 17 rounders from him, he is very good to deal with!

As for the copper grease stuff, I cleaned as much of it as I could off, but left some in the slide rails where it was really hard to get at. The Glock was the cleanest gun out of the box that I've bought so far, and I suspect could have been fired reliably without a cleaning. I think the grease will work itself out over time, but after I take it to the range I'll probably give it a better cleaning and make sure its all gone.

We both started out with the 26! :D

·
Banned
2,081 Posts

I LOVE High Noon Holsters! Can't recommend them enough to people. Just ordered the Down Under for my Shield and the Upper Cut for my M&P 9.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I can only answer a few of these so...

2. Cheap IWB holsters? Check slickguns.net, I just saw a Desantis IWB that looks like a copy of the Galco King-tuk, going for $35 + free shipping (I'm a big guy, 5'10" 280lbs and the king-tuk is extremely comfortable despite my rounded-ness limiting what position I can wear the holster)

3. Slide bite? I have big hands and when I first got my Glock23, I had that issue on my first day of shooting. I adjusted my grip by the end of the day and since I got it a year ago and put a good 1500+ rounds through it, I haven't had any more slide bite.

4. Spare parts? Not necessarily a spare part, more of an upgrade. I would suggest switching your sights out for the XS Standard Dot or XS Big Dot sights (Link [side note: they are a lot cheaper on Brownells]). I have a set of the Big Dots on my AK47 (i know its not a pistol) and target acquisition is EXTREMELY fast. My friend has the XS Standard Dot sights on his Glock19 and I love them compared to my glock23's night sights (which aren't bad but the XS makes a HUGE improvement)

And for any one that even THINKS your gun can run in the same league as a Glock**, lets see if your gun can survive the 1000 round torture test >:D --> Video

**Obviously some other pistols are very close to a Glock's reliability and I do have a bias towards Glock's but seriously, watch that 1000 round torture test and you'll see why the Glock is king in my opinion

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
A cheap IWB...that's like putting discount tires on your sports car....:)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Desantis IWB that looks like a copy of the Galco King-tuk, going for $35 + free shipping
My point about the High Noons :) They are $28 plus shipping and run circles around DeSantis. I will probably get a Public Secret as well from them, assuming ROCity doesn't start pumping out IWB holsters soon...

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Darth: Leave the copper lube on. It will wear in time. It's meant to assist the parts in 'mating' and will make the gun run better as you shoot it.

Get a Durbin holster. Don't go cheap on the other important part of your gear....

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can only answer a few of these so...

2. Cheap IWB holsters? Check slickguns.net, I just saw a Desantis IWB that looks like a copy of the Galco King-tuk, going for $35 + free shipping (I'm a big guy, 5'10" 280lbs and the king-tuk is extremely comfortable despite my rounded-ness limiting what position I can wear the holster)

3. Slide bite? I have big hands and when I first got my Glock23, I had that issue on my first day of shooting. I adjusted my grip by the end of the day and since I got it a year ago and put a good 1500+ rounds through it, I haven't had any more slide bite.

4. Spare parts? Not necessarily a spare part, more of an upgrade. I would suggest switching your sights out for the XS Standard Dot or XS Big Dot sights (Link [side note: they are a lot cheaper on Brownells]). I have a set of the Big Dots on my AK47 (i know its not a pistol) and target acquisition is EXTREMELY fast. My friend has the XS Standard Dot sights on his Glock19 and I love them compared to my glock23's night sights (which aren't bad but the XS makes a HUGE improvement)

And for any one that even THINKS your gun can run in the same league as a Glock**, lets see if your gun can survive the 1000 round torture test >:D --> Video

**Obviously some other pistols are very close to a Glock's reliability and I do have a bias towards Glock's but seriously, watch that 1000 round torture test and you'll see why the Glock is king in my opinion
I've seen the exact same video with a 1911. xD

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
+P+ is what I carry in my G17, they bark! Cheap IWB, DeSantic Softuc, under $20, 33 round prebans, well, if you don't want to pay $60 for a holster or $100 for Trigicons, you don't want to know what 33 rond pre bans cost. Never got slide bite from any of my Glocks. Leave teh grease on, do the $0.25 trigger job, or don't, doesn't make that much difference, but it does smooth things out, spare parts, hello, you just bought a Glock. After market parts, none of which are "needed" are plentiful but also most revolve around the trigger and be very cautious modifying a trigger of a carry gun, smooth it out all you want, but don't go much lighter. Also, if you go with a lighter trigger, the 4# striker spring doesn't play well with stock striker, you'll get light primer hits, but as I stated, you dot' really want that for a carry gun.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
+P+ is what I carry in my G17, they bark! Cheap IWB, DeSantic Softuc, under $20, 33 round prebans, well, if you don't want to pay $60 for a holster or $100 for Trigicons, you don't want to know what 33 rond pre bans cost. Never got slide bite from any of my Glocks. Leave teh grease on, do the $0.25 trigger job, or don't, doesn't make that much difference, but it does smooth things out, spare parts, hello, you just bought a Glock. After market parts, none of which are "needed" are plentiful but also most revolve around the trigger and be very cautious modifying a trigger of a carry gun, smooth it out all you want, but don't go much lighter. Also, if you go with a lighter trigger, the 4# striker spring doesn't play well with stock striker, you'll get light primer hits, but as I stated, you dot' really want that for a carry gun.
I just don't want to pay $60 for a holster or $100 for Trijocons RIGHT NOW, having bought the P99 two weeks before. I just need an interim holster. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts