New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gather round the fireplace so I can tell a little story.

Two weeks ago (July 21st) my fiance and I started our diet, even though I told myself I would never do it. As of right now, I'm kind of enjoying it. Missing the comfort foods and soda, but I feel 500% less bloated, more energy and just feel a lot better in general. Due to the diet, I can't eat certain things (including fruits and select veggies), which is a little bit of a bummer.

The upside of the diet, however, is the whey protein milkshakes. After 5 or 6 times, they start tasting good. Same with the quest protein bars. With a huge variety of flavors, I can pick and choose which kinds I want. So, I do get chocolate and TONS of peanut butter with this diet (I'm a peanut butter fiend). It is an expensive diet, however, requiring to eat every 3 hours (or so), which must include protein and fat of some sort. But, I just got hired for a better paying job (33% pay increase), I may be able to swing it longer than expected.

For the good stuff. I was 278 prior to July 21st. As of August 3rd, I'm down to 266. Working hard and only going to try harder to reach my end goal.

Not exciting, just a fat guy finally trying to lose his weight. ;)

I know some of your were doing weight lose (usmcveteran), probably just didn't start as high as I am.

Anyway, thats it. I'm proud of myself for how much I've lost in a short time. That's all that counts. Thanks for pretending to care :D

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Good for you losing weight is tough you have every reason to be proud. Keep it up!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Hey BB, don't sound so self deprecating, you're doing great and you should be proud. Kudos

I know you didn't ask, but I've had to curtail certain foods for health reasons and I can't tell you how much better I feel for it. The two WORST things I was ingesting and can directly feel the effects of cutting out are both carbonated sugary beverages and high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).

Honestly, the HFCS was the worst. It is in virtually everything. From soft drinks and bread crumbs to cough syrup and ketchup. Trying to eliminate it was actually a major effort, but well worth it. Check it out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Years ago I had a couple spinal fusions and quit drinking beer, and lost 42lbs. I never realized that beer was so fattening until then. Since never touched alcohol again.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice work, keep it up!
Thank you!

Good for you losing weight is tough you have every reason to be proud. Keep it up!
thank you!

Hey BB, don't sound so self deprecating, you're doing great and you should be proud. Kudos

I know you didn't ask, but I've had to curtail certain foods for health reasons and I can't tell you how much better I feel for it. The two WORST things I was ingesting and can directly feel the effects of cutting out are both carbonated sugary beverages and high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).

Honestly, the HFCS was the worst. It is in virtually everything. From soft drinks and bread crumbs to cough syrup and ketchup. Trying to eliminate it was actually a major effort, but well worth it. Check it out.
Oh ya, I dont touch any of that stuff. Thank you!

Years ago I had a couple spinal fusions and quit drinking beer, and lost 42lbs. I never realized that beer was so fattening until then. Since never touched alcohol again.
Yep. I don't touch alcohol anymore. Just not into it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good for you! Don't lose sight of the prize.....its easy to slip back into your old ways once you reach a weight that is "comfortable" for you but not near the goal. I started my journey on July 6th, the day after my 30th birthday. 5' 9" 230lbs. Headaches all of the time, lethargic, no energy to play with my kids, etc... I said enough is enough, When i met my wife 8 years ago i was 160 lbs! From when we got married 7 years ago this month i have put on 70 pounds. Since I started losing weight i've lost 17 pounds. My goal is 170 pounds. Keep up the good work, it is very worth it. Starting to feel better already.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Glad to see it. Keep up the work. Don't forget about exercise, even if it's walking, swimming, biking, golfing. Cardio exercise will give you a noticeable energy boost. At 278 running would put a lot of stress on your knees and hips, but as you shed pounds you will begin to feel more nimble and maneuverable.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Congrats to Banana and Rybo,
Ditto to what Randall said ..... get yourself moving/ exercising it will help the pounds fall off. You don't need to run a marathon, just walk for 30minutes, 5 days per week.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Nice work, keep it up. The first step to fixing anything is to recognize that there's a problem. Glad to hear that you're on a path to healthier living.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Good for you OP.
I was at a high of 252 lbs. 6 years ago. With lots of work I got down to 168 lbs. Now my weight goes from 175-185 depending on the time of year it is.
Feel 100% better then I did before and hope I never fall back into the lifestyle that caused it.
Keep up the hard work.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Congrats! Biggest things to remember is that if you want to keep it off this is not a diet but a lifestyle change. I would start looking into a long term nutritional plan as well since a lot of these "diets" are unsustainable long term and havering a nutritional plan that you can do forever is key.

Last tid bit of advice is not to freak out or get demotivated when the weight stops coming off as fast. The more you lose the more efficient your body becomes slowing down the weight loss and the first bunch of pounds is usually water weight. If your not already try drinking half your body weight in ounces of water a day.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good for you! Don't lose sight of the prize.....its easy to slip back into your old ways once you reach a weight that is "comfortable" for you but not near the goal. I started my journey on July 6th, the day after my 30th birthday. 5' 9" 230lbs. Headaches all of the time, lethargic, no energy to play with my kids, etc... I said enough is enough, When i met my wife 8 years ago i was 160 lbs! From when we got married 7 years ago this month i have put on 70 pounds. Since I started losing weight i've lost 17 pounds. My goal is 170 pounds. Keep up the good work, it is very worth it. Starting to feel better already.
It is very easy, for sure. Congrats on the weight loss! Thanks for the kind words.

Glad to see it. Keep up the work. Don't forget about exercise, even if it's walking, swimming, biking, golfing. Cardio exercise will give you a noticeable energy boost. At 278 running would put a lot of stress on your knees and hips, but as you shed pounds you will begin to feel more nimble and maneuverable.
You aint kidding! Running half mile around the block, last stretch being up hill, killed my knees/shins. I will be exercising much more than I used to. Just got a new job overnights, so now I have to switch up working out and sleeping habits.

Congrats to Banana and Rybo,
Ditto to what Randall said ..... get yourself moving/ exercising it will help the pounds fall off. You don't need to run a marathon, just walk for 30minutes, 5 days per week.
Thanks Alistair! I will definitely try my best!

Nice work, keep it up. The first step to fixing anything is to recognize that there's a problem. Glad to hear that you're on a path to healthier living.
Thanks! All this time I was "happy" with who I am...Im a big fat liar!

Good for you OP.
I was at a high of 252 lbs. 6 years ago. With lots of work I got down to 168 lbs. Now my weight goes from 175-185 depending on the time of year it is.
Feel 100% better then I did before and hope I never fall back into the lifestyle that caused it.
Keep up the hard work.
Thanks. Congrats on your weight loss! I'm hoping to be in that area at the end of my goal, however long it may take.

Congrats! Biggest things to remember is that if you want to keep it off this is not a diet but a lifestyle change. I would start looking into a long term nutritional plan as well since a lot of these "diets" are unsustainable long term and havering a nutritional plan that you can do forever is key.

Last tid bit of advice is not to freak out or get demotivated when the weight stops coming off as fast. The more you lose the more efficient your body becomes slowing down the weight loss and the first bunch of pounds is usually water weight. If your not already try drinking half your body weight in ounces of water a day.

Good luck!
Thanks usmcveteran. First week I lost 8, this past week was only 3. Kinda sucked, but it's 3 less pounds I am carrying around all day. It adds up fairly quickly, too.

As for long term, I definitely agree. Fiance and I talked about eating healthier once we are done with this particular diet. I miss eating fruit and certain vegetables on this diet. I will try to do an apartment garden as well, cut down on costs of expensive produce.

Thanks again to everyone! We just take it a day at a time and get down to our goal!

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Anyway, thats it. I'm proud of myself for how much I've lost in a short time. That's all that counts. Thanks for pretending to care :D
Good for you! For real, I don't think anyone that responds to your good news is going to be pretending!
Keep up what you are doing, soon you will see better results, ie, feeling much, much better!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you my good sir's! I feel much better and am less tired (besides sitting in a chair at work for 10-12 hours).
Interviewing today at Jamesville and recently got a couple canvass letters for Marcy Psychiatric Facility. So, this weight loss will hopefully help towards getting a position. :)

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well here I am. At the end of August. Standing at a proud 255, with 2 weeks ago 0 weight loss/gain, but this past week being a 5 pound weight loss!

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Thats why it is important to stick with it!

That reminds me of something else you may be interested in........
First off when you lose weight you do not lose fat cells.... rather they shrink in size. Sometimes as you lose the fat in the cells they become replaced with water. So its very possible not to see a drop in the scale and all of a sudden when the cells get rid of the water you can see a big drop in weight.

ALso not sure if I said this earlier but the scale is only one measurement of progress because the scale can not move and you can still be making progress. Another tool you can add is taking actual measurements of your bodies. This way if you aren't seeing it in the scale hopefully you can see progress there to keep you motivated.

Keep up the good work!

P.S.
If your not already try to add more walking into your day to day even if that means parking further away at store or work because those extra steps will add up.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats why it is important to stick with it!

That reminds me of something else you may be interested in........
First off when you lose weight you do not lose fat cells.... rather they shrink in size. Sometimes as you lose the fat in the cells they become replaced with water. So its very possible not to see a drop in the scale and all of a sudden when the cells get rid of the water you can see a big drop in weight.

ALso not sure if I said this earlier but the scale is only one measurement of progress because the scale can not move and you can still be making progress. Another tool you can add is taking actual measurements of your bodies. This way if you aren't seeing it in the scale hopefully you can see progress there to keep you motivated.

Keep up the good work!

P.S.
If your not already try to add more walking into your day to day even if that means parking further away at store or work because those extra steps will add up.
Thanks for the advice!

Well with my new job, I've been on my feet 6 out of 8.5 hours walking. Easily walked 20-25 miles in just 5 nights. Compared to my last job, I was behind a computer 10-12 hours a day.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts