New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thread is inspired by today's state of the state and I didn't want to take that thread off topic.

What say you to the governors idea on how to handle the pot heads.

· Registered
10,544 Posts
It's inconsistent to say the government has no right to decide what we own as far as guns go, BUT THEY TOTALLY HAVE A DUTY TO DECIDE WHAT WE PUT IN OUR BODIES!! That's being totally self serving.

I don't do drugs. I won't ever do drugs. That's irrelevant to what the law should be. If somebody wants to stay at home at do drugs all day long, what the hell do I care? As soon as they get into a car or any other situation where it puts others at risk, THAT'S where we have a problem and THAT'S what should be illegal, not the sale or possession of substances or items.

The phony "war on drugs" has done nothing except drain and tax payer's wallet and put people "guilty" of victimless crimes in a cage (which also costs money). 40 years and trillions of dollars have been spent on this war and yet, your average 14-year-old can buy a bag of weed with less effort than it takes for them to buy beer.

Supporting these draconian laws on personal choice only serve to further the police state that we're becoming. We're all responsible for our own actions and what people do in the privacy of their own homes isn't my business, your business and most certainly the government's business.

What we should do is what other countries are doing with great success. Legalize all drugs and treat addiction as a health issue, not a criminal issue.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Shouldn't be "handling the pot heads" at all. Not the government's place to decide for you.

· Registered
9,724 Posts
Right, because only blacks and latinos do drugs. Obviously you've never been to Oswego county.
He did say a percentage ... I wanna say it was around 82% of all drug related arrests were blacks and hispanics .... then he went into ..... we're sorry and I'm going to kiss your azz and we're sorry that you made a bad choice and that arrest would affect you in getting a job, so we'll stop arresting the blacks and hispanics!! .... that is not only offending to me, but if he's going to stop arresting a certain group of people for having drugs then he can STOP ATTACKING THE GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT WANT TO KEEP THEIR 2A RIGHTS!!!!! STOP THIS CRAP AND SAY YOU'RE SORRY TO ME CUOMO FOR MAKING ME AND OTHERS FEEL LIKE FBOMBING CRIMINALS YOU M'FER!!!!!

· Registered
1,701 Posts
Right, because only blacks and latinos do drugs. Obviously you've never been to Oswego county.
He said it, not me. YOU obviously didn't watch the speech. Obviously more than blacks and latinos smoke pot but he of course had to focus on that group right after he talked about "discrimination". Kind of funny he basically discriminates himself immediately after and says that the majority of people who do drugs are black and latino.

The effects of those arrests fall almost entirely on Black and Hispanic individuals-
82 percent-and largely on the young: 52
percent are under 25 and 69 percent are
under 30

The numbers tell a story: overwhelmingly,
young people of color are arrested, processed and then
released. But, arrest has consequences that persist after
release. There is the humiliation of arrest and, in some
cases, detention during processing. More enduring is
the stigma of the criminal records that can have lasting
and deleterious effects on the young person's future. A
"drug" arrest can have a significant impact on a person's
life and key decisions made by employers, landlords,
licensing boards and banks.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
I don't do drugs. I won't ever do drugs. That's irrelevant to what the law should be. If somebody wants to stay at home at do drugs all day long, what the hell do I care? As soon as they get into a car or any other situation where it puts others at risk, THAT'S where we have a problem and THAT'S what should be illegal, not the sale or possession of substances or items.
I agree with you, but the answer to the question you pose is this. When people get addicted to hard drugs (marijuana's addictiveness is unproven at best for the vast majority of people), they become really, really desperate. Really, really desperate people do really, really desperate things. When you combine that with the effects of the drug, you end up with these stories of dudes taking 33 9mm rounds and still killing cops.

I am all for the absolute minimal number of laws, and maximum personal choice and responsibility. But I'm not sure I could get behind legalizing drugs like heroin, PCP, etc.

· Registered
2,743 Posts
This was one of the things he said that I agree with. Its a small attempt to mitigate the results of Bloomberg's stop and frisk.

When NYC's finest stop a brown kid (they almost never stop white guys) they tell them to empty their pockets right there on the sidewalk. If the kid happens to have pot on him, the penalty goes from a violation to a mistermeaner - for no other reason than the cop made the kid empty his pockets, and now the pot is in open view instead of concealed.

· Registered
10,544 Posts
He said it, not me. YOU obviously didn't watch the speech. Obviously more than blacks and latinos smoke pot but he of course had to focus on that group right after he talked about "discrimination". Kind of funny he basically discriminates himself immediately after and says that the majority of people who do drugs are black and latino.
He was simply stating facts. Drug laws do affect people of color more than whites even though there's no evidence that they do them more.

I agree with you, but the answer to the question you pose is this. When people get addicted to hard drugs (marijuana's addictiveness is unproven at best for the vast majority of people), they become really, really desperate. Really, really desperate people do really, really desperate things. When you combine that with the effects of the drug, you end up with these stories of dudes taking 33 9mm rounds and still killing cops.

I am all for the absolute minimal number of laws, and maximum personal choice and responsibility. But I'm not sure I could get behind legalizing drugs like heroin, PCP, etc.
Like I said, the acts they commit while on drugs are what should be illegal. Simply posessing and taking them shouldn't be illegal. Yes, some go out and do desparate things, but should those who don't be punished for those who do? If you answer is yes, then I would ask you to replace drugs with guns and see if your answer stays the same.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder how often violent crime is commited while you are high. It's probably an impossible to record stat because weed stays in the system so long even after the high has warn off.

I've never met anyone who got aggressive on weed. I have met several people who get crappy on liquor though.

Weed seems harmless to me. I'm not saying you should be allowed to drive on it, or employers should be required to hire pot heads. But being arrested for having a little in your pocket is a waste of time and money.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
He was simply stating facts. Drug laws do affect people of color more than whites even though there's no evidence that they do them more.

Like I said, the acts they commit while on drugs are what should be illegal. Simply posessing and taking them shouldn't be illegal. Yes, some go out and do desparate things, but should those who don't be punished for those who do? If you answer is yes, then I would ask you to replace drugs with guns and see if your answer stays the same.
The difference is guns don't cause people to become violent and commit crimes (even though half the world is going insane and thinks they do). Drugs do CAUSE that. Anything that removes free will and causes crimes to be committed is something that I am ok banning.

· Registered
10,544 Posts
The difference is guns don't cause people to become violent and commit crimes (even though half the world is going insane and thinks they do). Drugs do CAUSE that. Anything that removes free will and causes crimes to be committed is something that I am ok banning.
Yeah? In that case, will you please change your avatar and your handle? Scotch removes free will and causes crimes to be comitted. Should be banned, right?

· Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,326 Posts
If the State decides to decriminalize it that does not mean it is legal on a federal level. In 2011 to present the DEA has again begun to raid CA dispensaries and make arrests. This won't mean much to the average hacky-sack Ithaca dweller in possession of personal use amounts, but it doesn't mean you're life choices have become legal either.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.