New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I always wondered why they didn't have the 1.6TDI engines here so popular around the world....

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I wonder why diesel costs more than gas here. When all over the world it's cheaper. It's also cheaper to produce. hmmmmmm

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I wonder why diesel costs more than gas here. When all over the world it's cheaper. It's also cheaper to produce. hmmmmmm
Extra processing for low sulfur compliance? And to make matters worse the associated emmissions equipment kills the milage so you wind up burning a lot more fuel in the name of being green. Makes no sense at all. I'm getting 8-10 mpg around town and 13-15 (if I'm lucky) on hwy in my pickup truck. Milage should be twice that without the DPF (diesel particulate filter).

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
EU has very tight environmental compliance. Demand drives market prices like everything else.
I have driven some of those cars overseas and while they are not too brisky they do perform very well and do not know if you are in a gasoline or diesel unless someone told you in advance. Many times I could do 1100 km with one single tank. amazing.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
EU has very tight environmental compliance. Demand drives market prices like everything else.
I have driven some of those cars overseas and while they are not too brisky they do perform very well and do not know if you are in a gasoline or diesel unless someone told you in advance. Many times I could do 1100 km with one single tank. amazing.
I have driven them all over Europe also. Performance was sufficient in my opinion. The only issue was the wheel and driving both being on the wrong side! (in certain countries) There is no reason we should not have them here.

Edit: I also think oil companies (and their ability to buy our elected officials) might have something to do with diesel prices over here and preventing certain engines from being allowed.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Jeep has a vehicle out capable of hitting 86mpg. Ford does has a Focus that gets 75mpg ...... they are being made BUT not in America. They are banned from being built OR sold in the US thanks to out govt!! You figure it out!! AS for the diesel prices?? It makes NO sense as diesel is one of the least refined fuels there is!! (next to home heating oil) We're being subjected to many illegal business practices that a small business owner would be sued for!! The whole supply and demand is a crock!! Notice how they use the hurricanes and such to jack the prices up? Considering we export the majority of the oil found in the US which is not even a factor in the US market!! So what if the middle east says they'll slow production to so many barrels and force up prices ... that's NOT a supply and demand situation ... that's cornering the market and FORCING higher profits for one's own interest!!! We're not demanding more .... they are sending less to the market and they do it in the summer and in the winter when they KNOW you will be more likely to buy their product!! It makes me sick!! My Fiance has her own business cleaning houses. She CAN'T raise her prices because those she works for can barely afford it now. So here she is, working her azz off doing her best and taking a HUGE hit in net income because she's now spending $300 a week in gas!! The people are hurting and the small businesses are going to be a thing of the past if these business tactics by major corp's are allowed to continue.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've had great success running the older diesels on used fryer oil.
80's Mercedes and VW, 12 valve Cummins/Dodge

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I just filled up my Jetta TDI today, it had 565 miles on it from when I filled it up last, 41+ MPG, mostly highway, but not as good as my older 99 TDI, that got closer to 50 MPG, and I was going to try to run it on used veggie oil but never did it, it works, just need to filter the oil well, I would be all for the 1.6 but I leased the current one with the intention of buying it after the lease is up, I'm in for a long time!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Performance was sufficient in my opinion.
Whatteryoo, a chick?
'Sufficient performance' puh~leeze.

I'm guessing they don't have the problem of people using kerosene in thier deisels in Europe like they do here?
Part of the 'extra' we're stuck with is to put that stupid red dye in there so whoever can tell if its legit or from a kero pump.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Whatteryoo, a chick?
'Sufficient performance' puh~leeze.

I'm guessing they don't have the problem of people using kerosene in thier deisels in Europe like they do here?
Part of the 'extra' we're stuck with is to put that stupid red dye in there so whoever can tell if its legit or from a kero pump.
By sufficient I mean I got from point a to b without any issues. They also don't have alot of F350's and Excursions. All the cars were about the same size. I felt safer in a small car in Europe!

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going to call the dealership like the person above did just to check by myself. I think I will get the same or similar answer.
I wonder what the governor will do if everyone stopped playing the Lotto, smoking, drinking and gambling. Put a new tax for the oxygen in the air we consume?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Well, maybe it's just me, but Europe doesn't seem to have the same distribution lines as we do in the U.S., fewer trucks and trains, but both their Diesel and Gas are both expensive than ours.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good friend of mine that I used to work with has a Dodge 2500 with a 5.9L Cummins diesel. It's his custom build for truck pulls. Twin-turbo, 700+ hp at the wheels. Weighs approximately 8,000 lbs, give or take. Daily driver in the summer time, he gets 13-15 mpg with it. 13-15 mpg! That is better mileage than my gas Chevy that might have put out 200 horsepower when it was new 20 years ago. Just some food for thought, something that will smoke all four tires on dry road gets the same mileage as a minivan.
Oh, and by the way, that's what I would consider sufficient performance :D

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I wonder what the governor will do if everyone stopped playing the Lotto, smoking, drinking and gambling. Put a new tax for the oxygen in the air we consume?
Please don't give them any more ideas.

2 years ago, it cost me $15 to register my motorcycle. Last year it was $45. It cost me $115 to renew the registration on my truck and $88 to renew my drivers license. Those aren't taxes though. Only fees. The taxes are above and beyond the "fees" that are required to function here in NY.

New York = The Vampire State!

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

2 years ago, it cost me $15 to register my motorcycle. Last year it was $45. It cost me $115 to renew the registration on my truck and $88 to renew my drivers license. Those aren't taxes though. Only fees. The taxes are above and beyond the "fees" that are required to function here in NY.

LOL

Don't worry, they do not need any new ideas, they have plenty on their own. I don't think we can be the vampire state because all the blood is
gone already. They are going for the flesh now so the maggot state would be more suitable.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts

Hunting and fishing licenses went up alot the last few years also. Let's see, our dollars buy less than they did in the past. Prices on things keep rising. Economics 101 would say we are in big trouble!

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am going to call the dealership today to find out if they can get this model but I expect similar answer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts