New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i had handed my application back in march i just had the cop do the home visit was very easy asked 3 questions asked me how long lived here asked to see my id and asked if i am familiar with weapons was very nice guy and only lasted 5 min . Well i was wondering what other people had seen for the judge to approve after the cop had came to there house. Does the judge email you or anything after to say if its approved or not thanks for reading this and responding

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Sometimes he does email you sometimes he doesn't, after the home visit I had mine around 3 weeks after

·
Registered
396 Posts
Did he call you to set up the appointment? If yes was it from a personal cell or from the office? Wife does not always answer if she does not know the number, or thinks it is some tele market call. Submitted my app on the 29th of March.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea he called me and left me a message on my cell and i called back it sent me to his office and they patched me into his car very nice guy comes up a 315 number i know that

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks for the info, and glad you have the wait coming to an end. I have only been in NY for a couple of years, I have lived in 9 states with Florida and Washington the last two, and never had this process and wait to go thru for a gun permit. It sure wears on you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you get your pistol Permit yet? I handed in my Pistol Permit application on the 13th of August, so I'm curious how long it will take you to get your permit. I was told it could take up to 5 months to obtain a pistol permit in Wayne county, but I met someone from Monroe county that said it took him more than 8 months to get his permit. Does anyone know why the process takes this long? In this day and age it should take less than a hour to run a background check on a computer and you said your visit with the police officer only lasted 5 minutes, but it did take the officer 4 months to get to your house! As you can tell I don't like waiting very much, especially since I have a new pistol sitting in a safe at Beikirchs gun shop.

Thanks, Jim (Williamson, NY)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Wayne Co permit interview with Deputy Judge

Hey Cujo...Mikey.....things are looking up !! I have a 20 Sept appointment with the new deputy ( His name is Deputy Judge) for my permit interview. Paper work was submitted on the 26th of March. He said things are looking up once again and wait should be nominal in the future.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hey Cujo...Mikey.....things are looking up !! I have a 20 Sept appointment with the new deputy ( His name is Deputy Judge) for my permit interview. Paper work was submitted on the 26th of March. He said things are looking up once again and wait should be nominal in the future.
Nice to finaly see some kind of movement in Wayne County!

·
Registered
396 Posts
So what is the process for getting other pistols on the permit in Wayne? It does not take as long for that as a permit, does it? Also if the permit is approved will it be mailed to me or in Wayne do you go to the county clerk and pick it up? What is the process for getting my pistol out of "permit jail: at the gun shop if permit is approved? Sorry so many questions...just like everything else in the state about guns and laws ....varries from county to county and I can not find any offical site that gives this info.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Had my interview with Deputy Judge today. Yes Judge is his last name. He seems like he is very dedicated to his job and is working hard to clean up the paper work that gathered prior to his assignment as the interviewing officer for permits in Wayne County. Asked what kind of back ground I had as far as CCW and handling handguns in general. Reviewed the paperwork to ensure it was complete and correct. Said he will hand the paperwork into the sheriff today and the sheriff will probably forward between tomorrow and early next week to the judge , with the judge signing it and being mailed out with me receiving in 2 to 3 weeks. Looks like Wayne Co has someone that will not drop the ball getting the permits out to us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I handed mine in on March and got an email from the judge the 19the and picked it up at the clerks office yesterday!

·
Registered
162 Posts
So what is the process for getting other pistols on the permit in Wayne? It does not take as long for that as a permit, does it? Also if the permit is approved will it be mailed to me or in Wayne do you go to the county clerk and pick it up? What is the process for getting my pistol out of "permit jail: at the gun shop if permit is approved? Sorry so many questions...just like everything else in the state about guns and laws ....varries from county to county and I can not find any offical site that gives this info.
I have only added additional handguns once so far and that was back in November. You take all your recites to the clerks office in Lyons, fill out a short form (you can add more than one at a time and save money) and wait. I think the fee was $14 cash, that pays for the update. Back then it took about 2 weeks. I was told it can be a few days to 2 weeks depending on when you turned the paper work in and the judges schedule. The second part of your license has all your handguns listed, they will send you a new one along with the coupon you need to pickup your guns. If you are in a real rush you could ask to be called, but I don't know if they do that or not.

They mail you your permit along with the coupon you need for the gun you put on your permit. Take that at your recite to the gun shop, they run yet another background check that takes a few minutes and you walk out with your gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Newark, NY I am trying to get a job at a place that requires a pistol permit, so back in Feb '13 I called to set an appointment (just to apply) and at that time they said they were backed up thru August and because of this they weren't accepting anymore appointments until they caught up some. They advised me to call back in March to schedule an appointment. I called back the first week of March, and they said the earliest I could get in for the application was July 2, 2013. I figure I will detail my entire experience on this forum for others who want to obtain their permit in the future. I will follow up this post on or after July 2.

On a side note, I am friends with a NYS Trooper out of Wayne County, and I notice it says that for my 4 referrals, they cannot be Wayne County Sheriffs or Jail employees. Can I use the Trooper as a referral?

Thanks!
Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
ive had paperwork in for almost two months and my references were called yesterday. anyone know the actual steps to this. i would think the background check is what takes the longest, and it doesnt make sense to call your ref. before the background check comes back. so i should be waiting on the police to set up home interview and then the permit in the mail???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts