New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for recommendations for a survival (if that is the right word) watch. Something that is either wind up or self winding, rugged, tactical or tech look to it, smaller face since I have thinner wrists and not more than $125.. Any ideas?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Check out some of the Seiko Divers. Some nice ones come in right around there.

You do want Analog correct? If not, the G-Shocks are hard to beat, and they come in all shapes and sizes.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
Casio G-Shock Solar

or just a basic military style wind up watch.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Citizen Eco-Drive is a quartz watch with a "capacitor" that is charged by exposure to light, NEVER needs a battery and should last for 10 years or more.

·
5,474 Posts
Another 36 bucks in your budget can get you a Seiko 23, a true automatic self winder, or a Swiss quartz Wenger.
Within your budget you can get a Seiko 5 military but I find them on the small side. You might like it.
For a rugged wind up watch look for a Poljot or other Russian made watch. These have movements which are made on old Swiss machinery. Rugged as heck and a good watch for a mechanical.

·
5,474 Posts

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
I have a Timex expedition. Paid $13.00 five years ago and it still keeps perfect time. Thing might out..........................ach, nevermind
Robin Tempus

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
A little more than your budget but this is a great mechanical watch for the money https://www.topspecus.com/shop/marathon-ww194003/ You could get a Luminox in the $250 range. Other suggestions above are good as well but some rely to some degree on a battery which could fail even though it doesn't necessarily needs to be replaced.
That's why the Eco-Drive is so impressive. NO battery ever.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
My point was no battery needed but still depends on electronics that can fail
Mechanical watch should work for much longer...
Well, yes and no...

I have a small collection of both, including an Omega Speedy Pro and a Ball Chronometer.
My experience is that if a mechanical watch is worn every day in a couple of years it will need service.
As well, you can get a good Citizen Eco for under $150
You can not get a quality ETA movement based watch for anywhere close to that.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Well, yes and no...

I have a small collection of both, including an Omega Speedy Pro and a Ball Chronometer.
My experience is that if a mechanical watch is worn every day in a couple of years it will need service.
As well, you can get a good Citizen Eco for under $150
You can not get a quality ETA movement based watch for anywhere close to that.
Agree completely but was trying to respond to OPs request for mechanical movement or self winder. For $140 you get accuracy to 30 sec per day, which sucks, lol. But hey, its SHTF so who cares if you're late to the meeting...

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Agree completely but was trying to respond to OPs request for mechanical movement or self winder. For $140 you get accuracy to 30 sec per day, which sucks, lol. But hey, its SHTF so who cares if you're late to the meeting...
Yah, I agree you can not beat a Seiko for just running forever.
Here is one I really like. It is not hacking/winding, but you can not go wrong with an Orient. They have been around forever, and are owned by Seiko or Citizen (I forget). I have a timing machine, and I was able to regulate this watch to +1 second a day!!! Never came close with a Seiko 5, 20 seconds is optimistic.

Orient ER2A002F Aviator Watch features a type B dial with a date window at 3:00, a hardened mineral crystal, 42mm Black PVD stainless steel case, screw-down crown, and an Orient made self winding automatic 21-jewel movement.

·
5,474 Posts
You can buy an automatic watch with a Citizen (Miyota,) movement for $100-$140.00. They run OK, but if not taken for adjustment they will gain or lose time easily. They have been rugged enough for me to take a lot of abuse but I've been through a couple of them and they last maybe three or four years tops. About what you would get out of a battery quartz watch.

My Citizen Eco Drive does have a battery. The solar keeps it charged. I think the paperwork with the watch said 7-10 years on the battery but may have been longer. Most of my watch collection went into the water last May. I haven't yet tried to clean them up and try to get running. If the crowns were screwed down tight they may have survived.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
You can buy an automatic watch with a Citizen movement for $100-$140.00. They run OK, but if not taken for adjustment they will gain or lose time easily. They have been rugged enough for me to take a lot of abuse but I've been through a couple of them and they last maybe three or four years tops. About what you would get out of a battery quartz watch.

My Citizen Eco Drive does have a battery. The solar keeps it charged. I think the paperwork with the watch said 7-10 years on the battery but may have been longer. Most of my watch collection went into the water last May. I haven't yet tried to clean them up and try to get running. If the crowns were screwed down tight they may have survived.
Citizen calls it a "capacitor", which of course is a fancy way of saying "battery".
There are a few places that replace the "capacitor", so the watch can last a long time.
The key thing about the stainless Eco-Drives is that they can seal up tight with good water resist, and since you never open the back to change the battery nothing ever gets in there, so the mechanics can last a very long time.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
You sleep at night so who cares?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts